How does Netflix instant work?

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

How does Netflix instant work?

Postby halchess » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:19 pm

I have my Netflix account set up to work with the ROKU. I downloaded a movie and started to watch it. However, I had to stop and now I don't understand why I can't find it on the Roku. Do I have to download it again? I thought that the downloads were saved to the Roku. Would somebody explain this thing to me?
I am so confused and find documentation lacking.
halchess

Re: How does Netflix instant work?

Postby kumasuki » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:24 pm

halchess wrote:I have my Netflix account set up to work with the ROKU. I downloaded a movie and started to watch it. However, I had to stop and now I don't understand why I can't find it on the Roku.

Did you download it from the Netflix website on a computer or directly via the Netflix channel on the Roku itself? Did you try entering the title in the search function part of the Netflix Roku channel?
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby microlady » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:01 pm

One way it works is what I do that is, I go to the Netflix Site on my PC and add movies and TV shows to my Instant Q and my Regular Q. that way when I use Netflix on the Roku box, it retrieves all the Instant stuff I added and I just choose from there.

The other way of getting the movies directly from the Netflix channel on the Roku itself, I have not tried. It's probably easier to do but I am an original owner when the choices were not so many and I learned to do it from my PC cause at that time, that was the only way.

Maybe someone here can explain how to do it the new way.

Anyway, my way does work and the movie would still be there next time until I removed it.
Nothing is saved in the Roku box itself as it does not have the memory to do that. Everything must be "retrieved" each time you start up the Netflix Instant Selections. But if it is listed in your Instant Q on the Netflix site, then it will still be there to retrieve. Hope this helps.
Original Roku 1, called N1000,bought 2008
microlady

Postby KennyJ » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:06 pm

halchess wrote:I have my Netflix account set up to work with the ROKU. I downloaded a movie and started to watch it. However, I had to stop and now I don't understand why I can't find it on the Roku. Do I have to download it again? I thought that the downloads were saved to the Roku. Would somebody explain this thing to me?
I am so confused and find documentation lacking.

Nothing is really downloaded -- it's cached. It's streamed. I don't know why you can't find it on the Roku. Which title is it? Did you search for it on Roku? Did you try adding it to your instant queue from the website? I can't remember if the "recently watched" is tied to the Roku box or your entire account, but does it also not show up in there?
KennyJ

Postby gonzotek » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:08 pm

KennyJ wrote:...I can't remember if the "recently watched" is tied to the Roku box or your entire account...
Entire account.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **

Postby KennyJ » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:10 pm

gonzotek wrote:
KennyJ wrote:...I can't remember if the "recently watched" is tied to the Roku box or your entire account...
Entire account.

Thanks. Don't know that I ever paid attention. :)
KennyJ

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion