Multi room TV with Roku.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Multi room TV with Roku.

Postby ItsMeSri » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:46 pm

I just bought Roku XD|S box. I have 4 TVs in my home. How can I distribute One Roku box video to all these 4 TVs?. Is HomePlug technology will work? How?
Please explain me.
ItsMeSri

Re: Multi room TV with Roku.

Postby kumasuki » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:29 pm

ItsMeSri wrote:I just bought Roku XD|S box. I have 4 TVs in my home. How can I distribute One Roku box video to all these 4 TVs?. Is HomePlug technology will work? How?
Please explain me.

I'm not sure if there are any HomePlug products for distributing an HDMI video signal over in-house electrical wiring (most HomePlug products are for transmitting network signals over the electrical wires instead of using network cables (ethernet CAT5).

A company called Acoustic Research has a product for transmitting video over in-house electrical wires - but it ain't cheap!

http://reviews.cnet.com/networking-and- ... 08746.html

Also keep in mind that you will still only be able to stream one title at a time (whatever is playing will appear on all the TVs at the same time).
There is also the issue of how to control the Roku with the remote if you are not in the same room where the Roku is.
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby ItsMeSri » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:41 pm

oohhh nooo.... I was expecting too much... I thought I can use setup box for each TV to control with remote. Please let me know, is there any other options to make it work.
ItsMeSri

Postby kumasuki » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:48 pm

ItsMeSri wrote:oohhh nooo.... I was expecting too much... I thought I can use setup box for each TV to control with remote. Please let me know, is there any other options to make it work.

Your best option is probably to consider getting a separate Roku for each TV - they needn't all be the same model.
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby imdaman99 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:51 pm

I don't know about the other method, but if you're willing to run a bunch of HDMI cords around your house (could be 100' from the TV that has the Roku) than you can get an HDMI 1x4 power splitter. You would also need something like a remote extender. I use 'Next Generation Remote Control Extender' to control the Roku from anywhere in the House.

Let us know what you go with, even if its not my idea :P

My method, depending on how much you pay for the HDMI cords could run you a little more than $100.
imdaman99

Postby ItsMeSri » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:55 pm

It is expensive......

they needn't all be the same model.?....

I am buying a service (like netflix) for Roku. Do I need to buy 4 for each box? Or Do I need to take one and use for all of them.

http://www.reliableiptv.com/usa/livechannels.php
ItsMeSri

Postby kumasuki » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:59 pm

ItsMeSri wrote:It is expensive......

Expense is a relative thing - all of the available alternatives (combined with solutions for multi-room control of a single remote) are as or more expensive than 4 Rokus.

ItsMeSri wrote:they needn't all be the same model.?....

I am buying a service (like netflix) for Roku. Do I need to buy 4 for each box? Or Do I need to take one and use for all of them.

A single Netflix subscription allows streaming to multiple devices (up to 6 I think).

There are already Telugu channels in the Roku Channel Store: https://www.yupptv.com/App/roku.aspx
kumasuki

Postby ItsMeSri » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:07 pm

A single Netflix subscription allows streaming to multiple devices (up to 6 I think).

That is cool..... I need to find out with service (http://www.reliableiptv.com) like Netflix. Is this same all IPTV services supporting at least 6 in the home or Netflix only does?
Last edited by ItsMeSri on Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ItsMeSri

Postby kumasuki » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:11 pm

ItsMeSri wrote:[ Is this same all IPTV services supporting at least 6 in the home or Netflix?

NOT NECESSARILY (e.g. Amazon) - it depends on each content provider - there is a lot of free content for which there is no limit too.
kumasuki

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion