Should Roku be left on?

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Should Roku be left on?

Postby msmisfit » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:14 pm

I have the 1100 Box, and when I switch to the HDMI input for the Roku, the screensaver comes on, but the activity light does not. So the almost daily routine... is to plug and unplug the Roku for the light to come on and the box to function.

Which makes me wonder if the power settings are not correct in my Logitech universal remote. The remote gives me these 3 setting options:
1) Leave the Roku on.
2) Turn the Roku off.
3) There is no power setting on your Roku N1100 remote.

Item 3 is checked, because there is no power on/off button on the Roku remote. I'm wondering if this should be changed to leave the Roku on? Although, it obviously has power, because the screen saver comes on, and the box is warm. Guess it seems more like some other setting is malfunctioning. I'm asking here, to see if the Roku is supposed to be on all the time?

I'd appreciate any suggestions to trace this missing link. After I replug it, it connects with no further problems... until the next time I want to use it.
Roku HD, N1100 / Netgear 3800 Router / Moto SB 6121 Modem / Cable ISP - 30M
msmisfit

Re: Should Roku be left on?

Postby kc8pql » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:23 pm

With the Roku remote, pushing any button wakes the box and turns off the screen saver. Your Logitech isn't doing that?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby msmisfit » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:30 pm

The screensaver comes on and that's as far as it will go... until I unplug it, which resets "something" in the box. I've tried leaving it on for awhile to see if it would eventually work, but 10 minutes is about the limit of my patience. ;)
msmisfit

Postby kc8pql » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:07 pm

Does it work with the Roku remote?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby msmisfit » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:38 pm

It didn't the last time I checked [a couple of days ago], but if I have a setting *wrong* in the Logitech, and it uses a power toggle, that might keep the Roku remote from working as well, couldn't it?

When I have more time, I will just change the settings in the Logitech to the "always on", and try both remotes again. I'll probably be back in a few days. ;)

Thanks for your responses! Happy Holidays!
msmisfit

Postby RokuMarkn » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:02 pm

Setting it to "always on" won't do anything because there is no remote command to turn the Roku on or off. Do you have an LCD TV? This sounds a bit like the common problem of interference from the TV's backlight when the TV is first turned on. Does it work if you hold the remote an inch from the Roku?

--Mark
RokuMarkn
Roku Engineering

Postby msmisfit » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:11 pm

Yes, I have a Samsung LCD. I don't understand why only that initial command is affected, if it's a problem with the backlight. I've never tried getting closer, since it works fine after I reset the box. I'm willing to try that, when I get back to solving this problem though. :)

Thanks for the suggestion! Happy Holidays to you!
msmisfit

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion