Hulu "Plus" ?? not really

Discussion not related to any specific Roku product.

Moderator: RokuJamesL

Re: Hulu "Plus" ?? not really

Postby billman » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:29 pm

The only way to stream Hulu through a device (non-pc) is through Hulu Plus. I ran into the same issue initially with my Sony blu ray. It is fairly annoying but I think the video streaming is in the state of early mp3 and napster and things will be changing pretty quickly over the next few years. Given the networks involvement with Hulu Plus, at least the tv networks are trying to develop a working model instead of just whining and suing everyone while their business model fails to adapt to a changing world. With all the streaming options available today for fairly minimal cost, usage of these devices must be absolutely exploding or about to.

For me the only real issue is the lack of current news, and then sports. I think though at this point, it's worth seriously considering dropping the cable tethers and just live w/out live news for a while until I find a way to get it, maybe set up an air antenna, or whatever. That would be about $800 savings in a year for me. I would happily reapply some of that to pay for the specific content that I want to watch, instead of paying for all the garbage my cable provider sends down the pipe.

Regarding Hulu Plus commercials, at least those only cost $8 a month, which is quite a bit cheaper than the cost of the commercials on the cable box. Add to that I don't need the DVR anymore to record the content I want to watch. I for one am good with that I think.
billman

Postby hammerup » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:11 am

The economy being what it is, I have tried to cut my communications expenses to the bone. I'm 60 YO, and when I was young, we had 4 channels of rabbit ear TV and one phone on the wall. People today can easily top $400 a month in total communications costs, with cable or dish tv, smartphones, dvd rentals, high speed internet etc. I've cut it down to the following:
High speed internet $45 (Charter)
VOIP landline phone $10 (PhonePower)
Netflix $8 streaming only
Hulu Plus $8 helps us watch shows on our time, with a lot fewer commercials. 60 minutes in say 43 minutes.
Smartphone Samsung android 2.1 Virgin Mobile $25 a month 300 mins, unlimited web, text, email etc
Dumb cell phone Boost Mobile $3 a month
Local channels high def thru antenna

Total communications cost $99 a month

Yes I miss CNN, CNBC etc. but there are workarounds with my work and home computers..

Hulu Plus is worth the $8 a month to me, because we can keep up with most of the shows we enjoy, on our own schedule.
Yes I am disappointed that more shows are NOT available, but that's not Roku's fault, and enough are available and in highdef that it's still worth the cost to me. I am certain that this will be built up over time. I had a Tivo, it was just too expensive at $12.95 a month for the "service".

I love the highdef of Hulu Plus. I wouldn't mind watching the free Hulu in lowdef, since that comes to my PC and laptop for free, I just don't understand why I can't get it streaming on my PC, and have Roku pick up the streaming content across the wireless network from my PC. THAT private channel would be welcomed by MANY of us!
hammerup

Postby 2muchtech » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:00 pm

I signed up for Hulu Plus but then later cancelled after being underwhelmed by the Plus service. I hope Hulu offers an ad free service in the future. I have had success streaming the free Hulu service via the PlayOn channel and PlayOn premium service ($39 per year). PlayOn also lets me stream content (ripped DVD movies) from my PC.
2muchtech

Postby cowboycctx » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:09 pm

Playon is one way of connecting to local network and is included in the list below. You can have access to Hulu for free, well not free you have to pay for playon but there are lots of channels to be had if you do.

Here is a link that will give you more channels.

http://www.roku-channels.com/
cowboycctx

Postby mrningrunner » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:57 pm

Cliff1968 wrote:Just ordered a Roku unit and am curious about this post. Are you saying the only Hulu you can view through Roku is Plus? You cannot access the basic Hulu?

Currently, there is not a way to get basic Hulu on Roku.
mrningrunner

Postby farmeunit » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:55 pm

mrningrunner wrote:
Cliff1968 wrote:Just ordered a Roku unit and am curious about this post. Are you saying the only Hulu you can view through Roku is Plus? You cannot access the basic Hulu?

Currently, there is not a way to get basic Hulu on Roku.

YES THERE IS! Read the two post before yours. PlayOn works fine for regular Hulu. My girls likes 2 different shows that always show up on regular Hulu, then show up on Hulu Plus later. I'm just on the trial for Plus right now, but I really don't see the benefit yet. Netflix has actually been better for me so far, even with TV shows, so not sure if I'll stick with Hulu Plus or not.
farmeunit

Postby Cliff1968 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:26 am

Have been using my ne Roku for a few days now and confirmed that PLUS does not mean that as far as I am concerned.
I can watch episodes for Burn Notice and other shows through my PC using Hulu. When I try to find them on the Roku using HuluPLUS I get a notice that says "Web Only"
Someone needs to look up the word PLUS in a dictionary.
While people may say this is a Hulu issue and not a Roku issue, Roku needs to pressure its vendor to at least MATCH what we can get free.
There may be additonal items on the PLUS but if I can't get basic TV series without going back to the PC it is a waste of time.
Looks like I will be cancelling Hulu PLUS (which some posts say is difficult) and returning the Roku (which other posts say is difficult)
Cliff1968

Postby Cliff1968 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:30 am

somehow missed the comments on PlayOn. Will check it out. thanks
Cliff1968

Postby Frazier » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:49 pm

I have been using the free 14 day trial with Playon and not very impressed. Terrible picture and the audio and video don't match and very choppy!! Why do you have to download Playon on your computer, is it not like a regular channel on the Roku. Just curious.

Frazier
Frazier

Postby steve569 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:31 pm

Hate the fact that I can't watch Blue Bloods or NCIS.
I anyone can do this... please tell me how
I can on my Droid but not on roku...WTF!!!
steve569

Previous

Return to Roku General