Wireless Connectivity Problem - Actiontec Router

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Wireless Connectivity Problem - Actiontec Router

Postby CGuthrie » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:28 am

Answer: To get my Roku HD 2000C player to communicate wirelessly with my Actiontec GT724-WG router I had to restrict the router to using WPA protocol (not WPA2).

Discussion: I've had a Roku HD player for several years and I recently purchased a second one. The new device would not connect to my wireless network. I called Roku technical support and we worked through multiple scenarios. We discovered that it worked perfectly wired and that it worked wirelessly if I turned off encryption on my wireless network. Changing the radio channel had no effect. Changing the WPA password had no effect. After about 1 1/2 hours of trying, support suggested I give it a couple of days and see if it would start working. And it did. For a week. During this week everything was fine, then it would not connect. I called technical support back and went through many of the same tests again. But no joy - it would not connect. At this point we thought that there was something wrong with my Roku device so support gave me an RMA number and I shipped it back for replacement. In a week I got a new Roku player - and it would not connect wirelessly. Talking with my brother-in-law gave me the idea that maybe my router's firmware was out of date. I checked the Actiontec site but I had the latest version. While poking around in my router settings I noticed that it was set to WPA/WPA2. Maybe WPA2 was the problem?? I set the router to use only WPA and voila, problem solved.

Note: During this whole time my original Roku player worked flawlessly. I'm guessing that it's old enough that it doesn't try to use WPA2 but I don't know how to verify this.
CGuthrie

Re: Wireless Connectivity Problem - Actiontec Router

Postby nielu » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:54 am

Thanks for your post- after hours of trying everything I could think of ( and a couple of sessions with Roku live chat) with no luck I made the change you suggested and was finally able to connect-

should be on the Roku FAQ page
nielu

Postby kumasuki » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:38 am

CGuthrie wrote:..... I noticed that it was set to WPA/WPA2. Maybe WPA2 was the problem?? I set the router to use only WPA and voila, problem solved.

A router set to WPA/WPA2 (when a multi-mode option is available) requires devices to negotiate which protocol to use when they try to connect. The older Roku was not adversely effected by this negotiation process while for some reason the newer Roku had a problem with it.
It quite likely that both Rokus will also work with the router set for WPA2 only as well.
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby hn333 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:04 pm

Buy a better router.
hn333

Postby sfoster95 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:40 pm

We had that problem when initially setting up our ROKU box in May 2010. Our actiontec router we have the GT704-WG as what was required by Qwest. We were using WEP and was told by either a tech at qwest or roku that newer equipment work best with WPA. Once we switched to WPA everything was fine.

We have been experiencing difficulty lately with the ROKU losing connectivity to modem/router. We have to reset the modem/router and then it is fine sometimes we have to also unplug ROKU and plug back in. Our computers don't lose connection so am sure it is a ROKU box issue.

Just ordered a box for TV in bedroom will try the hardwire set up first (provided we have long enough cords) and see it that helps.
sfoster95

Postby Munst » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:17 am

sfoster95 wrote: Our computers don't lose connection so am sure it is a ROKU box issue.

This is a common misconception. Just because your computers can successfully connect to a particular router while another device cannot does not necessarily mean the Router is blameless.
Munst

Postby wave1073 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:45 pm

Just an FYI for newbie & non computer geniuses out there, after pulling the hair out of my head with the lame Roku tech support who did the pass the buck, blow off with verizon who did the same thing, along with a ton of message board b/s i found a simple fix for that dam green,green, red error on set up.

I have Verizon Fios with the Actiontec router and with this combination of procedures i was able to finally connect. I had a friend try to connect my Roku LT to their comcast system, it connected and updated automatically, I then reconnected at home and after that did not work I changed my network name to an all alpha characters such as my street name name and then changed my WEP security settings to WPA2 and also gave that an alpha character name. after these steps i connected immediately. I am not sure which part of this process worked but its fine now. and anyone who says to get a new router, do not listen.

I hope this helps some of you out there
Wave1073
wave1073

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion