Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greubel
Visitor

Roku volume control

One thing that would be really nice, is the ability to adjust the audio volume. I don't know about others but I have to cut the volume in half when I switch to the Roku. Maybe be this could be added to the "device settings" or give us a level control. Any thing that could give the user the ability to match the output level of their other components.
0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
RokuKevin
Visitor

Re: Roku volume control

Good idea.

We've discussed this in the past, but have previously chosen the "make thinks simpler path". It's worth tracking how wide spread the audio volume issue is. We've also discussed adding "Advanced Settings" for those that want to fiddle with all the knobs.

---Kevin
0 Kudos
gonzotek
Visitor

"RokuKevin" wrote:
Good idea.

We've discussed this in the past, but have previously chosen the "make thinks simpler path". It's worth tracking how wide spread the audio volume issue is. We've also discussed adding "Advanced Settings" for those that want to fiddle with all the knobs.

---Kevin
I've experienced volume differences between older and newer Netflix content(ie. Season 1 of Buffy is comparatively quieter than Season 4 of Bones) and a large difference between the video and audio channels. I've begun to make a habit of turning down the volume before entering an audio channel because the volume is so much louder than in the video channels. For reference, the Roku audio output is attached to my cheapo home-theater-in-a-box system via stereo RCA cables. The volume scale goes to 25 in half-step increments and I generally never need to go above 10 for any device attached to the HTiB. For video consumption, the Roku usually sits around 7-8, while audio consumption through the Roku requires a 3-4 setting for a comparable perceived volume.

/edit: For KISS reasons, I'd think a player setting for volume normalization (on or off) might work, if a decent normalization routine is even possible on Roku hardware.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

What might be better than a volume control is some dynamic range compression - so that quiet speaking parts are nearly as loud as the big explosions. Maybe just include a few presets and "off". If you want to put in an advanced setting, you could go all out and include threshold, attack, curve and release rate controls. 😉

The wide dynamic range of programs on the Roku (which is nice if you are an Audiophile) makes it really hard to hear words if want to turn down the volume of Gunshots and Explosions, and if you turn up to hear the words, your ears and your neighbors ears are shattered by the unexpected Boom.

- Joel
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"gonzotek" wrote:
the Roku audio output is attached to my cheapo home-theater-in-a-box system via stereo RCA cables. The volume scale goes to 25 in half-step increments and I generally never need to go above 10 for any device attached to the HTiB.

For what it's worth, all three of my Rokus are connected via HDMI for audio, and the volume level is pretty consistent with the rest of my components, so this might be an analog-only issue.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
greubel
Visitor

Dynamic range compression might be good for some folks but I would say that most of my users play music. And I wouldn't want a method that distorts the media.
Just a simple gain control like there is for the sound effects volume. Maybe even use those settings ??
0 Kudos
gonzotek
Visitor

"TheEndless" wrote:
"gonzotek" wrote:
the Roku audio output is attached to my cheapo home-theater-in-a-box system via stereo RCA cables. The volume scale goes to 25 in half-step increments and I generally never need to go above 10 for any device attached to the HTiB.

For what it's worth, all three of my Rokus are connected via HDMI for audio, and the volume level is pretty consistent with the rest of my components, so this might be an analog-only issue.
It might be. Just to be clear, I was only comparing video(Netflix, Amazon, TWiT, Rev3, iTPC, TED) vs. audio playback(Pandora, TuneIn Radio, MOG) on the Roku itself, not its overall volume compared to other devices. As far as that goes, I think for video, it's overall a little louder than the TiVo hooked via hdmi to the same amp. Maybe 5-10%, just enough to make me reach for the remote in order to adjust. And that could be down to the amp, it was a Woot special 🙂

"greubel" wrote:
Dynamic range compression might be good for some folks but I would say that most of my users play music. And I wouldn't want a method that distorts the media.
Good point.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

"greubel" wrote:
Just a simple gain control like there is for the sound effects volume. Maybe even use those settings ??

I absolutely agree with you on the music front.

I was talking about watching movies. Dynamic Range compression could be only applied when video is playing.

Also, I was speaking from the standpoint of myself as a consumer of media on the roku.

Most DVD players have a dynamic range compression settings, so this should be considered a standard thing to implement, and there are a ton of algorhythms available in public domain for this.

I would love it if I could control the volume with the Roku remote. (Anyone been shocked awake by the Visine commercial while watching hulu recently?)

- Joel
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos

any progress or timeline on this?

i have powered speakers that i use with all of my other audio devices, which have volume control, but the Roku doesn't 😞
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

It's not coming anytime soon...

--Kevin
0 Kudos