How to boost wifi to Roku?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

How to boost wifi to Roku?

Postby Marla » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:23 pm

Greetings -

I am using an Apple Airport Extreme and learning about streaming content to my new Roku.
I admit to having less that adequate bandwidth (cheap cheap cheap husband) - about 768 KB - so the picture is only 2 "stars" and a little pixilated.
Is there a way to boost the signal without increasing the price of my ISP? My airport is only a room away from my television.
Would something called a repeater work??

LOL when I searched online I saw similar posts so had out my wire kitchen colander trying to get it to act like a large antenna...didn't let my husband see THAT.

Marla
Marla

Re: How to boost wifi to Roku?

Postby jambandit7 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:29 pm

Marla wrote:Greetings -

I am using an Apple Airport Extreme and learning about streaming content to my new Roku.
I admit to having less that adequate bandwidth (cheap cheap cheap husband) - about 768 KB - so the picture is only 2 "stars" and a little pixilated.
Is there a way to boost the signal without increasing the price of my ISP? My airport is only a room away from my television.

LOL when I searched online I saw similar posts so had out my wire kitchen colander trying to get it to act like a large antenna...didn't let my husband see THAT.

Marla

You will have to get a faster internet connection to enjoy 4 dot/ HD quality to your roku. 768 kb is not cutting the mustard....sorry :(
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers
Roku2 XD- 3050X/HDMI/Composite Audio
Roku XD-Composite A/V
Roku XD-HDMI
jambandit7

Postby jeffrok » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:31 pm

You're going to want to upgrade to about 3mbps or better.. If you can get 5mbps for not much more, then go with it; you won't be sorry.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby hn333 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:32 pm

Marla

Boosting your wifi will not increase your ISP speed. 768 KB is hardly broadband internet, you need about 3 to 5 MBs.
hn333

Postby wataga123 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:18 pm

Call up your ISP, tell them you are thinking about switching to another company, see if they will give you a discount on a higher speed.
wataga123

Postby Marla » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:35 pm

Ya, I know I need a higher connection speed (remember the cheap husband tho) - perhaps I will phone my ISP and threaten switching -- it's worth a try.
THANX
Marla

Postby noiseboy » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:12 pm

ATTENTION APPLE AIRPORT EXTREME USERS !!!!!
by noiseboy » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:35 pm

If you cant log on wirelessly to your airport extreme do this !!!!!! It worked immediately !!

I decided to get a strong router like the Airport Extreme. Tried it and didn't work, even the tech support at Apple told me that Roku was not compatible with it and against their odds, I decided a last try and changed the channels in the Airport Extreme, it has like 11 channels to choose for better transmission, and it worked. So to do this go to:
Airport Utility
Manual Setup
Wireless
Radio Channel Selection
Manual
Edit
check a different channel (I tried #11)

11 worked perfect !!
noiseboy

noiseboy

Postby destruk » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:20 pm

The broadcast channel only impacts the connection speed from the modem/router to your roku. If your connection is being dropped, changing the channel will help, but 1.5mbps from your ISP will remain the same no matter what channel you choose.
destruk

Postby wxman2003 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:13 am

noiseboy wrote:ATTENTION APPLE AIRPORT EXTREME USERS !!!!!
by noiseboy » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:35 pm

If you cant log on wirelessly to your airport extreme do this !!!!!! It worked immediately !!

I decided to get a strong router like the Airport Extreme. Tried it and didn't work, even the tech support at Apple told me that Roku was not compatible with it and against their odds, I decided a last try and changed the channels in the Airport Extreme, it has like 11 channels to choose for better transmission, and it worked. So to do this go to:
Airport Utility
Manual Setup
Wireless
Radio Channel Selection
Manual
Edit
check a different channel (I tried #11)

11 worked perfect !!
noiseboy

Never had to do this with my airport extreme. Purchased it about a month ago. Set it up normally. Got the ROKU XD a day later. Plugged it in, turned on the tv, and the box found the router without a problem. That Apple rep had no clue. It's completely compatible with the new Airport extreme router. It may not be compatible with the old b/g airport extremes, but it is fine with the new dual band router.
wxman2003

Postby jhernes » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:31 am

Marla

When did they change the specs to 768 KB? Anyway easy solution find yourself a new hubby! :lol:
ROKU MODEL: N1000 - Decommissioned, HD 2000C-00 - Decommissioned, XS 3100R - Visio 50, R3 4200R - Samsung LN55
jhernes

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion