Do I need a dual band router?

Discussion not related to any specific Roku product.

Moderator: RokuJamesL

Do I need a dual band router?

Postby jlamare » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:44 pm

Hi! Newbie wondering if I need a dual band router. Currently using D-Link DIR-615 Wireless N Router, 4-Port and when just using Roku XD/S, works good. However today when I turned on my laptop while streaming thru Roku, streaming stopped and message said reloading and program I was watching never came on. Once I turned off my laptop, Roku worked OK. From my ISP, download speed is about 13Mbps.

After a reading whole bunch of stuff, some of which I understand, it looks like I may need a better router. I had originally bought the 615 when I was only using the internet for info gathering, research, and email, not streaming, especially not streaming and doing anything else. I am considering the D-Link DIR-825 Xtreme N Dual Band Gigabit Router. Does this seem like an appropriate choice so that I'll be able to stream a whole video program using Newscaster (or a movie using Newflix) and doing some work/research on my laptop? We are using Windows XP and there may be two wireless users while someone else is streaming on Roku. Don't want to purchase router if that is not what the problem and if I do need to purchase a router, I want to get one to meet my current and maybe future needs. Appreciate any advice.
jlamare

Re: Do I need a dual band router?

Postby jlamare » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:07 pm

Found out that I don't need a dual band router - had to update firmware of both router and Roku. Also had to tweak the router by changing the channel and the 802.11 mode. Not able to stream a movie from hulu.com AND streaming a podcast from MSNBC flawlessly.
jlamare

Re: Do I need a dual band router?

Postby rogrok » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:54 pm

Same issues with me - also in Austin and also on a Linksys D615. Just what changes did you make.
Mine worked great for the first week, but now hangs completely. None of the laptops here have a problem,, so it wouldn't seem to be my network. I currently have to choose between the laptop and the roku. Blechh.
rogrok

Return to Roku General