Uverse Internet & Roku problem?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Uverse Internet & Roku problem?

Postby mjz » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:13 pm

I increased my Uverse Internet speed from 6 mbps to 18 mbps...

but my Roku box dropped from 3-5 on average to less than 1.5 now ~!!!! no more HD.
The reason in bought more speed was so I would get better HD performance.

The Roku box was bought in 2008 for Christmas (whatever that model is at the time).

Netflix works just fine on the PC (terrific in fact).... I'm tempted to just connect my computer to the TV and take out the Roku if it can't perform better with the new speed.

anyone face this issue? Am I doing something wrong?

thanks
mjz

Re: Uverse Internet & Roku problem?

Postby kumasuki » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:23 pm

Hard to comment without knowing how the Roku is connected (wired/wireless), what modem and router (or combo) hardware you have, etc.
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby mjz » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:50 pm

Uverse router box with several PC's connected at 18 mbps.
Roku is connected via wire as if it were another PC on the network

Roku delivers 1.5 mbps - the PC's deliver the 16-17 mbps.
mjz

Postby mjz » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:51 pm

PS ... I also ran the Roku box wireless and received the same performance ....

thanks for any help...
mjz

Postby kumasuki » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:56 pm

mjz wrote:Uverse router box with several PC's connected at 18 mbps.
Roku is connected via wire as if it were another PC on the network

Roku delivers 1.5 mbps - the PC's deliver the 16-17 mbps.

How are you measuring 1.5mbs for the Roku?
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby mjz » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:59 pm

The Roku is set in debug mode and every time a movie loads - it tells me the speed and the quality (number of dots) I am going to get as a result.
mjz

Postby kumasuki » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:01 pm

mjz wrote:The Roku is set in debug mode and every time a movie loads - it tells me the speed and the quality (number of dots) I am going to get as a result.

Is there much else going on over the network simultaneously with the Roku - you mention several other PCs - have you looked at the debug numbers if the Roku is the only active network device (just to try to get a baseline).
kumasuki

Postby mjz » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:49 pm

I ran the box all by itself just to check.... I believe I have a Uverse - modem/router problem.
The box supplied by ATT uverse is a motorola wireless, router and modem in one box. I suspect that is where the problem is ... Streaming movies is taxing to a box like that ....
mjz

Postby kumasuki » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:55 pm

mjz wrote:The box supplied by ATT uverse is a motorola wireless, router and modem in one box. I suspect that is where the problem is ... Streaming movies is taxing to a box like that ....

The Motorola configuration is likely the culprit - but with the amount of bandwidth you have, streaming video should not be taxing at all.
If you know the IP address of the Motorola (maybe 192.169.0.1 but could be something else) you can try accessing the device setup using a browser (just type in the IP address in the URL box) - hopefully the Motorola admin account isn't protected/restricted.
kumasuki

Postby West Ham » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:11 pm

UVerse uses 2Wire gateways that handle internet, tv and phone so it can handle streaming movies. You don't have UVerse if ATT gave you a Motorola router.
West Ham

Postby gotok » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:19 pm

West Ham wrote:UVerse uses 2Wire gateways that handle internet, tv and phone so it can handle streaming movies. You don't have UVerse if ATT gave you a Motorola router.

Yes, the Motorola is most certainly the STB. It has an ethernet port which may or may not be used depending on how the STB is connected to the 2Wire Gateway. However, a hardwired ethernet connection to the Roku should be to the 2Wire Gateway rather than to the STB.
gotok

Postby mjz » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:22 pm

The ATT uverse guy came out and it's not the 2wire box. We eliminated all connections except the roku to the 2wire. We verified my nearly 18 mbps connection (Internet is fast). But on the Roku, I barely get 5 mbps, mostly I get 2.

Is the Roku box bad?

This is the first roku box roku made. It's about two years old now. How fast a streaming speed can this little box handle?
mjz

Postby kumasuki » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:50 pm

mjz wrote:This is the first roku box roku made. It's about two years old now. How fast a streaming speed can this little box handle?

A unit 2+ years old won't be covered under the original warranty - really don't know what else to suggest, other than maybe trying it out at a relative's or friend's who has a router other than 2wire (if it's the same story there then likely something about this Roku is malfunctioning).
kumasuki

Postby mjz » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:22 pm

I checked other posts about DNS issues .... I live in Houston and my local Netflix server is Dallas. So I don't think I have a time warner type problem that others talked about on the west coast. It seems ATT's DNS is working well to route from Houston to Dallas.
mjz

Postby gotok » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:32 pm

mjz wrote:........This is the first roku box roku made. It's about two years old now. How fast a streaming speed can this little box handle?

I have an original Roku model and the debug mode routinely shows my network speed at 10-11mbps. It is connected wirelessly to my ATT Uverse 2Wire Gateway. I have 12mbps Uverse internet service only (i.e. no TV or phone service).
gotok

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion