-New to the Roku Message Board-

Discussion not related to any specific Roku product.

Moderator: RokuJamesL

-New to the Roku Message Board-

Postby able » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:24 am

How's it going ya'll? It's been exactly one week since I first heard of the Roku Player. Last Friday I was listening to NPR's Science Friday and they were talking about this awesome machine and I knew I just had to have it. The biggest thing that sold me on the device was it's ability to plug into a standard definition TV. Finally I could get some good use out of my 200 pound 32 inch CRT flat screen TV.
Well anyways, since opening the box to my Roku yesterday, I've been on a obsessive quest for more and more content for it. I've found two databases of private channels which have been great. I'd like to send a big thank you to Endless and Nowhere man for coming up with all this great content. I think your private channels are all I ever use. Something tells me there is more content out there,or more databases, and if anyone would like to fill me in via here or PM I'd really appreciate it. Or maybe not, if I've found all that there is currently out there, I think I could be satisfied.
So that's my introduction. A little more about me: I'm 33, live with my girlfriend and her daughter. I'm kinda hoping someday to get them so acquainted with Roku that I can fire my cable company. I have a youtube channel able1039 if you care to check out my favorites or subscriptions. It's mainly left leaning politics and skateboarding (just to be warned).
I see that there are other accounts that have signed on recently as well. Perhaps, you can use this thread to introduce yourself too. I'm aware that I am just scratching the surface at this message board. I see users with almost 1,000 posts here so I'm sure there must be something interesting going on.
able

Re: -New to the Roku Message Board-

Postby haden78 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:41 pm

Welcome to the club, just like you Im enjoying Roku. But realistically, its not a substitute for cable in my opinion. While streaming Netflix movies, I often get buffering from the player trying to connect to the Internet. Thank God they email DVD's.
However, watching provided channels is a good addition and alternative. Maybe in the future, Netfilx will offer a package deal in the subscription department that combines various popular paid channels rather than the present ala carte.
haden78

Postby mrningrunner » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:08 am

haden78 wrote:While streaming Netflix movies, I often get buffering from the player trying to connect to the Internet.

I don't ever receive buffering while watching movies on Roku. Your internet speed might be lower than what is needed to maintain the stream.
mrningrunner

Postby dgrace » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:48 pm

I just "fired my cable company". I have enough to watch now with Netflix and what mediafly channel offers (for free). Add to this that I can listen to so much music (channels from around the world on TuneIn) that I don't have the tv on as much. I still get over the air tv with an antenna, but that covers the big three networks and mostly for news.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
Frank Zappa
dgrace

Postby jhemmi » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:56 pm

great to see yet another satisfied ROKU user!

though i may be a bit biased, i highly recommend the MEDIAFLY apps - the main mediafly app is a podcast aggregator, and there is a mediafly MUSIC app as well, and a mediafly AUTOS app coming soon...

happy digital surfing!

justin
mediafly :D
jhemmi

Postby SuetyStanes » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:03 pm

haden78 wrote:Welcome to the club, just like you Im enjoying Roku. But realistically, its not a substitute for cable in my opinion. While streaming Netflix movies, I often get buffering from the player trying to connect to the Internet.

That shouldn't be happening unless you have a REALLY slow internet connection. Even a fairly slow one should still allow you to stream without rebuffering, albeit at a lower quality. Have you tried any troubleshooting? It should be fixable.

Thank God they email DVD's.

I hadn't heard of this service! :lol:

However, watching provided channels is a good addition and alternative. Maybe in the future, Netfilx will offer a package deal in the subscription department that combines various popular paid channels rather than the present ala carte.

I'm not sure what you mean here. What package deal would you want to see Netflix offer?
SuetyStanes

Postby RocknRoll » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:04 pm

Welcome to the community.

Im ready to fire my satelite provider but they keep offering me deals ( and I mean money off ) to stay.

I think ROKU easily replaces at least 2 movie channels since with Netflix you get STARZ PLAY and other movies. Now with other programming and the new channels they keep adding, you more have more of those tier channels covered.

I would say get an OTA setup and see what free digital locals you get. Today I added tv.com ( code: tvcom) and the Onion (code: ONN) as private channels. Im sure more is coming too. ROKU is a great investment , especially for us with old TVs.
RocknRoll

Return to Roku General