Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bunklung
Visitor

Re: Roku volume control

This drives me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't turn up the volume loud enough to hear the voices without blowing my ears drums off with other sound effects (explosions, gun fire, action sequence)
I can't turn down the volume enough to enjoy the sound effects without turning the dialog into a silent movie.

Is this just a analog problem? I do not use digital audio out/5.1 or HDMI output on my XDS.

It's like a roller coaster to keep the volume in check when watching a movie. Kinda makes the movie experience suck. Sorry for the lack of a better word.

With DVD players you can at least alter the dynamic range.

With a DVD player you can at least turn on closed captions.

I can do neither with ROKU. I understand that the closed caption is out of your hands.

Please allow a dynamic range option. Thanks.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

This problem also affects NetFlix.
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

"bunklung" wrote:

I can't turn up the volume loud enough to hear the voices without blowing my ears drums off with other sound effects (explosions, gun fire, action sequence)
I can't turn down the volume enough to enjoy the sound effects without turning the dialog into a silent movie.

Does your TV (or whatever you have the Roku audio plugged into) have any equalization settings that might be causing this? In general most encodings do not have different volume for voice vs. effects. If you're seeing this on most content, there's probably something in your audio setup that's affecting it. Also see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=35141&hilit=encoding+issue&start=15#p227463

--Mark
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

I think it is a side effect of a wide dynamic range. The solution in the analog domain is to stick a compresser/limiter into the audio signal path. Behringer makes good inexpensive ones, albiet slightly more expensive than a Roku. Compression/Limiting is not too difficult to implement in software, so I am hoping that eventually something like this will be built into the Roku. Other companies that make them include DBX, Alesis and other. Prices seem to range from $69 to over $3000 and all are targeted at recording studios and sound system installations. I can't find any that are targeted at the consumer market. You might consider dropping into your local music store to see if you can find a stereo compressor/limiter on the cheap or used.

A volume control won't really help with this area - you will still be turning the volume up and down like I do, but using a compressor to lower the peak volumes should help. You have to play with the settings to get it just right.

- Joel
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos
bunklung
Visitor

There is no TV setting to change. The link you suggested refers to "Equalize overall volume levels across all channels and VIDEO inputs. (On/Off)". This is a TV model specific feature and has to do with equalizing the levels across channels and videos inputs.

My problem is dynamic range. Roku needs some form of dynamic range compression.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression

Joel has some good/expensive info. I only wish Roku would add some form of dynamic range compression that comes standard on most DVD players. I think dynamic range is less of an issue when you use high end or 5.1/7.1 gear with center channel speakers.

"RokuMarkn" wrote:

Does your TV (or whatever you have the Roku audio plugged into) have any equalization settings that might be causing this? In general most encodings do not have different volume for voice vs. effects. If you're seeing this on most content, there's probably something in your audio setup that's affecting it. Also see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=35141&hilit=encoding+issue&start=15#p227463

--Mark
0 Kudos
bdfouhy
Visitor

Volume controls are definitely needed, but keep them as simple as possible. I haven't had problems with varying sound levels within a program, just between channels and content. Plus, just in general it would be really useful to adjust the volume with my Roku remote (physical or Android wifi version).

Some volume equalizing work on your guys' end would be welcome, but for the user, just add a basic volume up/down function. Don't worry about integrating it with every TV out there, just let it control the volume within the Roku system itself.
0 Kudos
daughtkom
Visitor

I'd be happy if there was a per-channel volume adjustment. For example:
- decrease Pandora volume by 75%
- decrease NetFlix volume by 15%
- etc.

When I watch cable, the master volume level is set between 10 and 15, but if I switch to Roku/Pandora, I have to turn it down to 2. I know the numbers are arbitrary, but basically I have two volumes I can listen to Pandora at:
2 - OK for most of the time except when I'm working late in the night while every one else is sleeping
1 - Too quiet to hear and might as well be muted

Being able to quiet Pandora in the settings somewhere would let me leave the master volume the same as cable, and would also allow for more granular control when needed.
0 Kudos
watsonmcg
Visitor

I've added a Terk VR1 Automatic TV Volume Controller between my satellite box and my TV to even out the sound when watching movies. Works very well. I no longer have the problem with high volume on commercials and I can hear the dialog without being blown away by the special effects when watching movies.

I just received my Roku and have it connected with HDMI cable so the Terk unit won't work. I watched a movie today through Roku and the volume fluctuation was more than annoying.
SRS Labs has a volume leveling device for HDMI connections but it is $91.00 on Amazon.

Volume fluctuation is a problem with most movies I watch and really takes the enjoyment out of the experience.
0 Kudos