Aspect Ratio Problem..

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Aspect Ratio Problem..

Postby stratcat96 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:30 pm

I have my XDS hooked up using the component cable and the display is set at 720p. My HD television is also set at "widescreen". I have noticed that some Netflix movies (usually older ones) and non-HD Youtube videos show up as a 4:3 sqaure in the screen and I must set the tv to stretch to get them to fill the screen. By doing this though, the home screen is off the sides of the tv so I need to then switch the tv back to wide. I have a WD Live Plus hooked up via hdmi and it allows me to select my resolution (720p) then select display mode in which it gives me the options of "widescreen" or "normal". By selecting "normal" on that, the WD correctly fills the screen with the same videos that Roku would squish, and then correctly displays any widescreen offerings as well. Do I have the Roku set up wrong or something?
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Aspect Ratio Question

Postby mkiker2089 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:25 pm

You're saying movies that are supposed to be 4:3 are 4:3 and you want them stretched? If that's the case the Roku doesn't offer that.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Re: Aspect Ratio Problem..

Postby stratcat96 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:35 pm

Thanks for the response. So the Roku does not have the ability to automatically fill the screen with something that is standard format when displayed on a widescreen tv.. Just to clarify, when I say squished I mean black bars on the sides of the picture. Not being critical but that seems odd given that dvd players, and well boxes like the WD do that, especially when there's alot of content out there that's not HD floating around too.
stratcat96

Postby hn333 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:10 pm

stratcat96 wrote:I have my XDS hooked up using the component cable and the display is set at 720p. My HD television is also set at "widescreen". I have noticed that some Netflix movies (usually older ones) and non-HD Youtube videos show up as a 4:3 sqaure in the screen and I must set the tv to stretch to get them to fill the screen. By doing this though, the home screen is off the sides of the tv so I need to then switch the tv back to wide. I have a WD Live Plus hooked up via hdmi and it allows me to select my resolution (720p) then select display mode in which it gives me the options of "widescreen" or "normal". By selecting "normal" on that, the WD correctly fills the screen with the same videos that Roku would squish, and then correctly displays any widescreen offerings as well. Do I have the Roku set up wrong or something?

4:3 stretched looks just awful. How dare you?
hn333

Postby stratcat96 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:15 pm

hn333 wrote:
stratcat96 wrote:I have my XDS hooked up using the component cable and the display is set at 720p. My HD television is also set at "widescreen". I have noticed that some Netflix movies (usually older ones) and non-HD Youtube videos show up as a 4:3 sqaure in the screen and I must set the tv to stretch to get them to fill the screen. By doing this though, the home screen is off the sides of the tv so I need to then switch the tv back to wide. I have a WD Live Plus hooked up via hdmi and it allows me to select my resolution (720p) then select display mode in which it gives me the options of "widescreen" or "normal". By selecting "normal" on that, the WD correctly fills the screen with the same videos that Roku would squish, and then correctly displays any widescreen offerings as well. Do I have the Roku set up wrong or something?

lol well while I don't disagree, it just looks weird to have thick black bars on the sides of the picture so that's why I was wondering
stratcat96

Postby Gilgamesh » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:16 pm

stratcat96 wrote:Thanks for the response. So the Roku does not have the ability to automatically fill the screen with something that is standard format when displayed on a widescreen tv.. Just to clarify, when I say squished I mean black bars on the sides of the picture. Not being critical but that seems odd given that dvd players, and well boxes like the WD do that, especially when there's alot of content out there that's not HD floating around too.

Content that is supposed to be 4:3 will be displayed 4:3 and content that is supposed to be 16:9 will be displayed 16:9 and so on. The content should be watched in the format it is provided in otherwise the people will displayed either stretched or squished.

To say it another way: When the content has bars on the side or on the top and botton one should not alter the display just to get it to fill the screen doing so alters the appearance and therefore changes the viewing experience.

Having said that Netflix does have a few titles that are improperly encoded and those might display both letterboxed and pillarboxed and those that do can be zoomed to fill the screen.

Since I have had NetFlix I have only seen two movies with that problem.

Each to their own but I would NEVER want to watch a movie in any other format than the format it was intended to be in.
Gilgamesh

Postby hn333 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:58 pm

stratcat96 wrote:
hn333 wrote:

lol well while I don't disagree, it just looks weird to have thick black bars on the sides of the picture so that's why I was wondering

Just messing with you, but it's still awful.
hn333

Postby kc8pql » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:46 am

Stretching is almost as bad as colorized B&W films. :wink:
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby mkiker2089 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:16 am

The latest Netflix update on the PS3 won't allow you to stretch the picture anymore so I think part of it's what the content owners want.

Just to add my 2 cents here. I watched letterbox on a square TV for years and got used to it. It's what the director intended. Now that I have a widescreen TV I had the same learning curve of getting used to the bars n the side. It's not so bad really. The only other viable option I saw was on an expensive TV that would trim the top a little, stretch the picture a little, and leave tiny bars on the side. Again though you'd have to change between programs. I abhore TV's that simply stretch the picture and I actually hate more the "smart modes" that stretch the sides more than the middle. That makes things change shape and size as the camera moves.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion