Is it Possible to Watch Downloaded Movies?

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Is it Possible to Watch Downloaded Movies?

Postby CDSullivan » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:30 pm

I have downloaded some movies using a free trial with Graboid and I'd like to figure a way to use my Roku to watch them. The USB didn't work for me, but that was likely because I don't know how to convert the downloaded movie to .mp4 (or if a movie to .mp4 even makes sense?). I tried the MYMedia private channel but I'm not smart enough to get it to work. I'd like to know definitively if it's even possible. I don't want to just haphazardly go and buy another device- the Veebeam, until I've exhausted all of my Roku options. I'm not even 100% certain the Veebeam would play my downloaded movies, and that would be the only reason I purchased it because I have a Roku to do everything else the Veebeam says it can do. So, I'd appreciate any input thanks.

P.S.- I can't even figure out how to burn the movies I downloaded to a DVD so your not dealing with someone really savvy here
CDSullivan

Re: Is it Possible to Watch Downloaded Movies?

Postby scarlettu2 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:54 pm

I would be interested in an answer to this as well. I have noticed that some videos, like home videos, are able for viewing on a USB drive. However even some of those are not. I would love to know how to be able to add all videos to the proper format for viewing on the RoKu USB channel.
Carpe Diem
scarlettu2

Postby KennyJ » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:57 pm

I'm not familiar with Graboid, but the Roku will only play certain formats and will not play anything with DRM (from a local drive).

As for home movies, etc. It would be nice if Roku released some settings for populars encoders (like Handbrake), so that people could use those settings when encoding videos for playback on Roku.
KennyJ

Postby canaws » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:13 pm

If you want to convert your videos, you can use a program like Freemake or Handbrake. I used to use Handbrake, but now I used Freemake. It's easier for non-video techies to use. You should convert to .mp4 video (h.264 video codec, aac audio codec, 29.97 frame rate). You should then be able to use any of the media server channels (like MyMedia or Roksbox) or the USB channel.

Like the other poster said, Plex is also an option. It's a media server channel that transcodes on the fly, so you don't have to convert your videos to watch them. It takes more horse power to run it though.
Roku 1 HD (N1100) / SDTV (Composite) / ATT Uverse 6.0 Mbps / Motorola NVG 510
canaws
** Valued Community Member **

Postby stratcat96 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:18 pm

this is a ten month old thread and it's probably not real likely the OP is still searching for answers to their post, although everyone's helpfulness is to be commended :)
stratcat96

Postby canaws » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:33 pm

stratcat96 wrote:this is a ten month old thread and it's probably not real likely the OP is still searching for answers to their post, although everyone's helpfulness is to be commended :)

I didn't even look at the OPs posting date. :lol:
Roku 1 HD (N1100) / SDTV (Composite) / ATT Uverse 6.0 Mbps / Motorola NVG 510
canaws

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion