Cisco/Linksys E3000

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Cisco/Linksys E3000

Postby psennett » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:58 pm

I switched my router from a Netgear Rangemax to a Linksys E3000. The new Linksys is screamin' fast both wired and wireless, but Little Roku (N1000) won't connect to the internet (it connects to the wireless & network successfully). It won't even connect when wired to the router, but it will connect to a neighbor's wireless (Linksys unknown model) and direct to the cablemodem.

So I'm guessing there's something in the E3000 that Roku finds objectionable. I tried all the tricks I could find settings for (channel 6, 20 mHz, no security). Any tricks I missed?
psennett

Re: Cisco/Linksys E3000

Postby kumasuki » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:44 pm

The Roku not connecting when wired to the new router is puzzling - did you power off both the Roku and router; connect the Roku to the router with CAT5; turn the router only back on (wait a minute); power up the Roku. There's not all that much to tweak with a wired connection (it is a good first step to get it working wired before switching to wireless). You could try doing a DHCP reservation via MAC identifier (some older reports of this helping with some Linksys products). You could also try a hard reset of the Roku (you'll then have to re-link some of your channels).
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby psennett » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:03 pm

kumasuki wrote:The Roku not connecting when wired to the new router is puzzling - did you power off both the Roku and router; connect the Roku to the router with CAT5; turn the router only back on (wait a minute); power up the Roku. There's not all that much to tweak with a wired connection (it is a good first step to get it working wired before switching to wireless). You could try doing a DHCP reservation via MAC identifier (some older reports of this helping with some Linksys products). You could also try a hard reset of the Roku (you'll then have to re-link some of your channels).

I did many combinations of rebooting router and Roku, and even did a factory reset on the Roku (and then had to reconnect the box to my account via my neighbors unsecured wifi). I'll look into the MAC address registration, although I've got about eight other devices on and I can't possibly manually enter all of them.

I did manage to get the Firmware updated on Roku, after which it rebooted for about the fifth time tonight.

GAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
psennett

Postby kumasuki » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:48 pm

psennett wrote: I'll look into the MAC address registration, although I've got about eight other devices on and I can't possibly manually enter all of them.

You only need to do the DHCP reservation for the Roku - not any other devices (it's not an all or nothing option).
psennett wrote:I did manage to get the Firmware updated on Roku, after which it rebooted for about the fifth time tonight.

How was this done - via connecting directly to the modem or piggybacking a neighboring wifi host, I guess.
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby psennett » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:54 am

kumasuki wrote:
psennett wrote: I'll look into the MAC address registration, although I've got about eight other devices on and I can't possibly manually enter all of them.

You only need to do the DHCP reservation for the Roku - not any other devices (it's not an all or nothing option).

I'll look into this option.

psennett wrote:I did manage to get the Firmware updated on Roku, after which it rebooted for about the fifth time tonight.

How was this done - via connecting directly to the modem or piggybacking a neighboring wifi host, I guess.[/quote]
Grabbed off the neighbor, you are correct.
psennett

Postby Mmitchum » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:42 pm

I've seen some DHCP incompatibilities with Cisco devices (ASA 5505s) in the past. Though, the reverse of what you are seeing here. (The Cisco router couldn't successfully request an address via DHCP from an upstream D-link). You might try forgoing DHCP and statically assigning the IP on the Roku? Worth a shot.
Mmitchum

Postby kumasuki » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:51 pm

Mmitchum wrote: You might try forgoing DHCP and statically assigning the IP on the Roku

Disabling DHCP is NOT an option - the Roku firmware provides no means to assign a static IP. The only way the Roku can get an IP address is thru DHCP - so the closest alternative to a true static IP is a DHCP reservation using the Roku's MAC identifier.
kumasuki

Postby psennett » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:52 pm

Mmitchum wrote:I've seen some DHCP incompatibilities with Cisco devices (ASA 5505s) in the past. Though, the reverse of what you are seeing here. (The Cisco router couldn't successfully request an address via DHCP from an upstream D-link). You might try forgoing DHCP and statically assigning the IP on the Roku? Worth a shot.

I tried an exorcism, and that didn't work. So I'll try messing with static IP next.

Thanks.
psennett

Postby kumasuki » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:02 pm

psennett wrote:I tried an exorcism, and that didn't work.

No stranger a tale than found in this thread:
kumasuki wrote:
Miskaren1 wrote:My Roku XD wireless connected fine, then stopped, then would only work if wou held it in your hand. I "fixed" it by laying one of the speaker cables on top of the Roku creating something like an antennae. Strange, but it works! :roll:

I draw the line at sacrificing a live chicken! :mrgreen:
kumasuki

Postby criz » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:05 am

Just wanted to add I am using the Roku XDS with a Linksys E3000 with no significant problems through a wired connection.

I did set up my e3000 with _no_ guest wireless network, and separate names for the 2ghz and 5ghz networks. There is no Mac filtering enabled. Wireless networking is secured with WPA2.

I am assuming the router is successfully pulling an IP address and DNS servers from your ISP (under status tab) and has other devices like a computer definitely using it successfully? Also the DHCP lease is 24hrs and the MTU is 1500?

I have some fixed IPs on my home network and then a bank of 12 IPs assigned to DHCP (from which the Roku pulls an IP).

I also worked fine through the wireless-N connect when I tried it.

The router correctly sees it as a 100bT connection. The only thing I noticed was that when streaming from a media server on my home network (roksbox) it was only pulling 1.5mbps when the server was on a wired 1gbps connection and the roku was on the wired 100bT (checking with the debug mode).

I haven't checked what it "senses" since applying the latest firmware fix.
criz

Postby psennett » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:41 pm

ARRRRGGGGHHHHHHH! Nothing is working. I renamed my 2.4 GHz network a different name, even disabled security completely. Still the same - attaches to the network but can't get to the internet.

Had a similar problem with getting the Wii connected. Nintendo gave instructions on a manual DNS setting.

I'm at the end of my rope here.
psennett

Postby kumasuki » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:02 pm

Are you still trying to get the Roku working with a 'wired' connection to the router? It would be best to establish that much first before going wireless. Can other devices wired to the router access the Internet OK? Another diagnostic is to wire the Roku directly to the modem (reboot the modem when you do this) - the Roku should get the single IP assigned by your ISP and all functionality should be just like the Roku going thru the router. If there are any problems streaming with the Roku attached to the modem then you have ISP-related issues that need to be sorted out first.
kumasuki

Postby criz » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:10 pm

I think I might have an idea of what is going on:

When you first set up cable in your house, some cable companies take the MAC address of whatever device is plugged in to the cable modem. So if the first thing plugged in was your computer, it takes the MAC address for the computer, if the first thing plugged in was a router, it takes the MAC address of that router.

When you plug in a new device, you have two options - either with the linksys e3000 clone the MAC address of the old router, OR call your cable company and tell them you're replace the device that plugs into the cable modem and they need to reset the MAC address that is approved for your account.
criz

Postby psennett » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:11 pm

kumasuki wrote:Are you still trying to get the Roku working with a 'wired' connection to the router? It would be best to establish that much first before going wireless. Can other devices wired to the router access the Internet OK? Another diagnostic is to wire the Roku directly to the modem (reboot the modem when you do this) - the Roku should get the single IP assigned by your ISP and all functionality should be just like the Roku going thru the router. If there are any problems streaming with the Roku attached to the modem then you have ISP-related issues that need to be sorted out first.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was able to connect directly to the cablemodem (rebooted), and my 2nd (new out of the box XR) Roku downloaded an update. Then when I put the router back in the circuit and hooked the Roku to the router (wired or wirelessly), we're back to the non-internet state. It takes something like 18 seconds to time out after the second green light comes on the connection screen.
psennett

Postby DaveMcLain » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:41 pm

Your cable modem doesn't happen to have an IP address of 192.168.1.1 does it? If so, you will have to put the router on a different subnet by changing it's address to something like 192.168.2.1.
Roku XD/S Ser # K0A07Y000139 5.8Ghz Wireless Connection
Roku2 XS Ser # 13A16Y000098 1Gb Wired Connection
WRT610N router DD-WRT SVN 14929
Connected via HDMI to Hitachi LE55U516 TV and Yamaha RX-V573
FTTH Connection 25Mb/sec
DaveMcLain

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion