Streaming FREE TV

Discussion not related to any specific Roku product.

Moderator: RokuJamesL

Streaming FREE TV

Postby Brandrew » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:24 am

Are we ever going to see the day of commercial (commercial meaning to make it free like OTA) programming on these streaming devices to replace our overpriced Cable and Satellite providers? Nothing is coming close. Most of what's available on all these streaming devices is what I call Web Crap, useless junk that's free so it's added as a channel to say we have something to watch. These players are great for streaming old movies and old TV shows from Netflix. Blockbuster and Amazon charge too much for current movies. Current movies are a buck at the rental box. Why pay more to stream it other than the novelty of it, or your too lazy to go pick up a movie and take it back. At what it cost to stream it you could take up to five days to return, or you could rent four more movies.
The only TV programming we have currently is a few networks with short clips from the show, whooptidoo! How about all that Indian programming that we can watch for free. Can't make out a word they are saying but it's free. HULU, man what a disappointment, "That's all I got to say about that". Some channels do have some interesting FREE full length programming but once you've seen it, you've seen it, "more please". The channel goes stagnant with nothing new to watch.
Networks should be knocking down the door of the makers of all these streaming devices like Roku, WDTV, TV's and DVD players to make their commercial programming available to this new avenue of providing programming to the masses. Cable, then Satellite did not get stared with junk like Skippy the clown picking his nose and calling it FunnyTV.
I've just had five new channels added to my OTA TV in the last two months. Looks like a trend as more people cut the cord on Pay TV. Advertisers need to pay attention to this trend and see the potential of the internet.

WHY CAN'T THE ROKU BE THE ANTENNA TO THE INTERNET?
Brandrew

Re: Streaming FREE TV

Postby TomTx » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:46 am

Totally agree! What I can't understand is why OTA networks can send free OTA but not duplicate it over the internet.
TomTx

Postby SuetyStanes » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:24 pm

TomTx wrote:Totally agree! What I can't understand is why OTA networks can send free OTA but not duplicate it over the internet.

Are you kidding?
SuetyStanes

Postby destruk » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:14 pm

I don't understand why you don't understand. Money is the reason. Over the air programming is not free, and each medium they use has to be carefully negotiated. Personally I prefer if they stay off the ROKU as I won't be subjected to annual contract arguments as they ask for more money each year to provide the same substandard content.
destruk

Postby Brandrew » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:30 pm

If it's FREE on the internet for my computer to display and it's free over the air for my TV, all payed for by commercial sponsors then it should be free on any devise such as the Roku. You're right, it's all about money.
Would not mind paying for a channel on the Roku if something of Quality Programming was available. If I'm paying then I should not see commercials, unlike HULU PLUS.
Brandrew

Postby hsingmy3 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:21 am

If we had the free tv on the Roku then we would have to put up with commercials on a regular basis. The money has to come from somewhere. I personally would not mind more choices then what we currently have on the Roku. Yes most of it is web junk that most people do not watch including myself. I would like to see Blockbuster on demand because they actually have a better lineup than Netflix streaming. Overall I have to say that the Roku is a letdown, I was expecting to have the option of cutting my cable tv with this device and saving some substantial money every month. It turns out that the only channel worth watching is Netflix or Hulu both of which we have to pay for anyway. We could have local news stations or something like that on the Roku if we can get them on our compuers. So please tell me, what is the advantage of the Roku when the same content is available elswhere, such as my BD player?
hsingmy3

Postby stratcat96 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:03 pm

hsingmy3 wrote:If we had the free tv on the Roku then we would have to put up with commercials on a regular basis. The money has to come from somewhere. I personally would not mind more choices then what we currently have on the Roku. Yes most of it is web junk that most people do not watch including myself. I would like to see Blockbuster on demand because they actually have a better lineup than Netflix streaming. Overall I have to say that the Roku is a letdown, I was expecting to have the option of cutting my cable tv with this device and saving some substantial money every month. It turns out that the only channel worth watching is Netflix or Hulu both of which we have to pay for anyway. We could have local news stations or something like that on the Roku if we can get them on our compuers. So please tell me, what is the advantage of the Roku when the same content is available elswhere, such as my BD player?

You do understand that Netflix and Blockbuster on demand are two DIFFERENT businesses with different business models, right? Just what did you expect out of the Roku to allow you to cancel cable?
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Postby hsingmy3 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:37 pm

I've had this Roku since October 2010. I was under the impression that much of what you could get on your computer you would be able to watch on the tv by using this player. There were quite a few write ups stating that the content would be added to on a regular basis and the Roku had the potential of being a cable "killer". I wasn't expecting a miracle in streaming content but it is very limited and most of the channels aren't that good. The actual functionality is great and Netflix/Hulu Plus stream flawlessly. Other than that I was hoping for more real choices, such as any major networks or news organizations.
hsingmy3

Postby stratcat96 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:51 pm

hsingmy3 wrote:I've had this Roku since October 2010. I was under the impression that much of what you could get on your computer you would be able to watch on the tv by using this player. There were quite a few write ups stating that the content would be added to on a regular basis and the Roku had the potential of being a cable "killer". I wasn't expecting a miracle in streaming content but it is very limited and most of the channels aren't that good. The actual functionality is great and Netflix/Hulu Plus stream flawlessly. Other than that I was hoping for more real choices, such as any major networks or news organizations.

Well unfortunately that's the state of the streaming industry right now. There isn't a box out there that can provide those "real choices" because I'm sure as you know by now the major networks and news organizations don't want you streaming rather than watching their ad-supported viewership model.
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Streaming

Postby Martin723 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:23 pm

Will serviio work on roku?
Martin723

Postby krisbee » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:44 am

I'm still working on getting this going for myself, but several people stream ota to their roku using their computer as a server. I plan on doing the same, and the investment is very small. The snag is encoding the video in real time - the only way to do it is to have a digital set top box and an external happauge hd box, otherwise there will be a delay - and of course only one channel at a time.

However, if you don't need to have real time, you can set up your computer to record the shows like a dvr, no resources being consumed, auto transcoded for you after the show is done (or late at night when you are asleep), and ready for you in a folder.

If you want free tv like abc, nbc, cbs, the roku is not the device to do that yet - a computer is with a tv card.

The problem is licensing and usage. The INDUSTRY is not there yet - has nothing to do with the roku. The reason is complicated, but eventually that business model will change as well, and you should think of the roku like a napster in that it is revolutionizing the way the content is being distributed - but napster is gone and now we have itunes. Roku may stick in the long run, it may not - but for the price point and the quality, it is a great start.

As for the news, or late night shows, there are private channels that have great content, as far as I am concerned, and the short lengths to me is a plus - I'd rather have a sampling of lots of things than one show to sit through.
krisbee

Postby nashbstn » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:32 am

When you add up all the costs like bandwidth, servers, etc, it will cost them about $20-$25 per customer.

Doesn't make financial sense when cable and satellite companies actually pay them for the right to carry their broadcasts.
nashbstn

Postby hsingmy3 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:37 am

stratcat96 wrote:
hsingmy3 wrote:I've had this Roku since October 2010. I was under the impression that much of what you could get on your computer you would be able to watch on the tv by using this player. There were quite a few write ups stating that the content would be added to on a regular basis and the Roku had the potential of being a cable "killer". I wasn't expecting a miracle in streaming content but it is very limited and most of the channels aren't that good. The actual functionality is great and Netflix/Hulu Plus stream flawlessly. Other than that I was hoping for more real choices, such as any major networks or news organizations.

Well unfortunately that's the state of the streaming industry right now. There isn't a box out there that can provide those "real choices" because I'm sure as you know by now the major networks and news organizations don't want you streaming rather than watching their ad-supported viewership model.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the next 5-10 yrs with all this technology coming to a crossroads. I hope there will be a large selection of different media companies so the market will not be controled by just one industry such as cable.
hsingmy3

Postby krisbee » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:12 am

I think it is the future of tv, just as the dvr was a big revolution (who has a vcr at all, now?).

I think specialized content that wouldn't be enough for a full channel but be enough for a slew of programs is going to start to populate, and once advertisers can get on board with a way for us to ensure we are watching their ads and not skipping them, suddenly streaming will be an attractive option. You would know EXACTLY how many watched your ad, and if there was a signup procedure you would have great demographic info. Easy to swap new ads in, even not repeat so many of the same ads, etc.

This kind of control from the free side of tv is still lacking in the current media offerings. Once a pattern is set, it will either flourish or die. Hulu is a great example of this, and an great example on how Hulu Plus is NOT. Hulu Plus has to turn around pretty quickly and offer the same content it has on the free site and it might have a chance.

And on the flipside with Paid TV - you like a show, you buy it without any issues - want to see Boardwalk Empire or Tru Blood? Pay $25 and get the whole season. Well, that wouldn't work actually if there are only a million viewers since the shows cost WAY more than $25 million to make - but you get the idea...
krisbee

Return to Roku General