Watching Streaming Feeds -- Chinese TV

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Watching Streaming Feeds -- Chinese TV

Postby MaxD » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:22 am

I have owned a Roku for almost two years and love it. Lately I've been considering paying $35 a month to get a satellite dish so I can watch some live Chinese TV channels (*on my TV*), but this seems like a real shame since there are hundreds of Chinese provincial and national TV stations that stream their broadcasts live on the internet (although the protocol they seem to have standardized on for doing this is mms). Has anyone considered writing an app that allows a user to plug the URL of internet stream in and watch whatever they want?

Does anyone know of any apps that have chinese TV stations included? I saw that livestation has one chinese channel, but it is actually a chinese language version of french news...
MaxD

Re: Watching Streaming Feeds -- Chinese TV

Postby MaxD » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:23 am

As an example, here is a website that lists over 50, free, live streaming Chinese TV channels--is there anyway for me to get these on my Roku?

http://www.tvforus.com/china.htm
MaxD

Postby Lstevens » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:36 am

Install JustinTV. Go to preferences and change language to Chinese. Browse channels and save the ones that look good to favorites. You will have some Chinese tv. OTOH, I suspect that most of the Chinese channels on the web are not roku compatible .
Lstevens

Postby anilkuj » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:03 pm

MaxD wrote:I have owned a Roku for almost two years and love it. Lately I've been considering paying $35 a month to get a satellite dish so I can watch some live Chinese TV channels (*on my TV*), but this seems like a real shame since there are hundreds of Chinese provincial and national TV stations that stream their broadcasts live on the internet (although the protocol they seem to have standardized on for doing this is mms). Has anyone considered writing an app that allows a user to plug the URL of internet stream in and watch whatever they want?

Does anyone know of any apps that have chinese TV stations included? I saw that livestation has one chinese channel, but it is actually a chinese language version of french news...

i second this an app to plugin any custom url and bookmark them would be awesome !!
anilkuj

Postby pin2gtoes » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:33 am

Do you know of any web sites that streams Chinese shows via YouTube?

I made a channel for Filipino TV shows that does this. I can try to make one for you if you want.
Nuod Tayo - Filipino Channel for Roku - (http://blog.nuodtayo.tv)
pin2gtoes

Postby Sobad200301 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:26 pm

It has been almost 10 monthes. Any progress ? I am very interested. Please keep posted. Thanks
Sobad200301

Postby Gilgamesh » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:30 am

Sobad200301 wrote:It has been almost 10 monthes. Any progress ? I am very interested. Please keep posted. Thanks

You really should start a new thread instead of resurrecting such an old thread.

Since this thread had no replies since January it is quite reasonable to assume that the interest died but anyone can create a ch so go ahead and get the content owner's permission and create one if you are really interested.

Otherwise you could contact the owner of the content and see if they will create a ch.
Gilgamesh

Postby noodlesnrice » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:07 pm

We bought our first Roku 2 XD two months ago and now we have three. Through some research I found 5ik.tv that really suits my needs. There are about 40 channels, most of them Taiwan channels. There are a few Japanese, Chinese (Mainland) and Hong Kong channels. It's a paid service which I'm not affiliated with, but I highly recommend it.

*Edit* Link edited by moderator* - CSS
noodlesnrice

Postby catastrophegirl » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:26 pm

noodlesnrice wrote:We bought our first Roku 2 XD two months ago and now we have three. Through some research I found 5ik.tv that really suits my needs. There are about 40 channels, most of them Taiwan channels. There are a few Japanese, Chinese (Mainland) and Hong Kong channels. It's a paid service which I'm not affiliated with, but I highly recommend it.

*Edit* Link edited by moderator* - CSS

thanks. i really appreciate this information. it's hard for me to flesh out the info on the paid channels on my channel list so it's great when someone can share details like this. glad you are enjoying the channel
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless
speed range from ~18-20mbps
http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/
twitter: catastrophegirl
PM or tweet me if you want a channel added to my list, a correction or to update a developers' credit
catastrophegirl
** Valued Community Member **

Postby RokuShawnS » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:22 am

Regarding the above link, I'm deleting it now that catastrophegirl has acknowledged it (and will probably add it to her site :)). While it doesn't necessarily violate forum guidelines, it's borderline at best, and I'd like to err on the side of caution here, as I've received numerous "flags" about that particular post.

Thanks for your understanding.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby dragonbud0 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:22 pm

I'm new here but I found couple of them under International, but under the Korean Drama, kdrama and Drama Fever. In MHZ Channel, thye have both Taiwan and CCTV news in English. It's not easy to find due to primitive UI. Video is DVD or VCD quality, so do not expect much. Korean soaps are 2011 w/ subtitles but the Chinese are quite old.
dragonbud0

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion