S-Video

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: S-Video

Postby willie » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:54 pm

That makes big sense. Looks like Roku has cut them a spot and thier doing very well about hanging onto it by staying on top whats going on with upgrades and such.

I wonder how many of these are in service?
willie

Postby kc8pql » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Roku past the 1 million units sold mark in Dec.
OTA Antenna
"Netflix Player" N1000X
XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X
Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby willie » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:13 pm

One million ain't nothing to sneeze at.
kc8pql, Thanks for your discussion and replies.
Thanks for your help everyone.
I will post my experiences in a few days when I get the box up and running.

Good night Y'all
willie

Postby vnzjunk » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:27 pm

S-Video on an older TV. I remember when I first saw the difference in pic without S-Video and with S-Video. I was watching some cable tv fare and could barely tell the diff between the 2. So for a while I just used the composite (normally Yellow) plugs. Then DirecTv added the horse racing channel. Man there was a bunch of data on the screen. Lots of real small numbers and letters and some of them scrolling. A lot of it I could not make out and it was a pain to try. On a hunch I hooked up the S-Video cable and the fuzziness of the small text cleared rite up. And that has been my experience since. At least on my 25" sets. For normal viewing you probably won't see a whole lot of difference. But when it comes to data along with the video then the S-Video gets my nod on the older TV's over composite.

As usual, your mileage may vary.

Good Luck!
vnzjunk

Postby microlady » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:46 pm

On page 1 I gave you a link to Roku boxes. If you go there and click on see the boxes, you will see specs on the 3 that Roku is selling.

The Roku HD is new and sells for $59.99 at this site. It is the same as the original player, which I have, and it is probably the only new Roku box that has S-Video. It is certainly the cheapest as I paid $99 for mine in 2008 and it still works just fine. It browses, etc., does a lot of things.
I didn't undersand why you bought a used one which I clicked on Amazon and it looked like the used were selling in the $70 range.

Anyway, if you decide you want a new one, check out the site I gave you on page 1 here.
Original Roku 1, called N1000,bought 2008
microlady

Postby microlady » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:55 pm

kc8pql wrote:None of the current models have S-video ports, although they do include composite. If you can only use S-video, you'll have to find a used N1000, XR or SD somewhere.
Ebay is probably your best bet.

Not true...the Roku HD has the S-video port. It is the original player "rebranded". I have the original player and the link I gave Willie shows the specs on the Roku HD. It should do for his analog TV.

The SD only model was discontinued. So Roku "rebranded" the N1000 as Roku HD. It streams SD and HD and is only limited to what the original could do.

So yes Willie could get a new Roku HD box with its warranty for $59.99 at the Roku store. I just went there to doublecheck cause my original information was from December 2010.

I like my Roku model. It does for me at this time and anyone that needs the basic to try it all out would do well to get it...and upgrade in the future once they get the hang of it all and depending on what kind of TV they get at that time.

So...I do defend the one I have. It has all the connections and streaming I am interested in at this time. Sounded like a good deal for Willie.
microlady

Postby overtimeman » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:41 pm

Thought I would throw this in at the website cablestogo.com you can order a s video to rca(yellow) out put cable that is reversable in use.I have one hooked up to my 13 inch that I use in my bedroom.
I used to have a life before Roku!
overtimeman

Postby kc8pql » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:49 pm

microlady wrote:
kc8pql wrote:None of the current models have S-video ports, although they do include composite. If you can only use S-video, you'll have to find a used N1000, XR or SD somewhere.

Not true...the Roku HD has the S-video port. It is the original player "rebranded". I have the original player and the link I gave Willie shows the specs on the Roku HD. It should do for his analog TV.

You better look again. The current HD model is not the old HD and does not have an S-video port. It has HDMI and composite only.
See the photo and specs. at the bottom of the page under HD here:
http://www.roku.com/roku-products#2
OTA Antenna
"Netflix Player" N1000X
Roku2 XD 3050X
Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby microlady » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:35 am

kc8pql wrote:
microlady wrote:

You better look again. The current HD model is not the old HD and does not have an S-video port. It has HDMI and composite only.
See the photo and specs. at the bottom of the page under HD here:
http://www.roku.com/roku-products#2

You are correct. Apparently Roku doesn't know what it is doing. Part of what I said came from this article in wikipedia:

Digital video player

On May 20, 2008, Roku announced the first Netflix Internet video streaming receiver box, the Roku DVP. The NXP-powered device runs Linux.[3] Three versions of the Roku DVP are currently available: the Roku SD, HD, and HD-XR.[4]

The Roku SD which only streams standard definition (SD) content.[5] The Roku HD is essentially the original player re-branded and it streams both SD and HD content.[6] The Roku SD and HD both have an Ethernet connection and built in wireless g wifi support compatible with wireless b, g, and n routers.[7]

Their third and most recent box is the Roku HD-XR which streams both SD and HD content, has built in wireless n wifi support, and has a usb port on the back.[8] .

Mine is from 2008. Apparently in 2009 mine was rebranded as Roku HD with its S-Video port, etc. Then either in 2009 or 2010 looking at the Roku products link...it HAS been changed so that model no longer has all the goodies the original had. Probably figured they were giving customers too much at the new low end.

I also see that Amazon does not have any new boxes of the original N1000 renamed to Roku HD and now the Roku HD is not that exact box anymore. So your statement that the CURRENT Roku HD does not have S-Video is 100% correct.

So people now have either the original N1000, or the N1000 renamed to Roku HD, or the current Roku HD which is NOT the original renamed N1000. Good going, Roku. Getting reliable streaming is hard enough but playing with labels.....that's a customer no-no. Confusing the consumers with the same name for different actual models....what will you think of next?

Sorry, kc8pql, I have always seen you post such good advice..I should have known it was Roku that caused my confusion...and actually that is why I posted....hoping to see any opposing information...which you did provide.

I know I won't be recommending Roku boxes since I don't have the time to research what each name means on any particular year. I will leave that to others unless someone actually asks about the box I have, the N1000 only. It sure gives a lot of features but then I did pay the original $99 so I guess it should have more than any new "basic" box.
microlady

Postby dividebyzer0 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:45 am

Enhanced rear view of XR N1101
(if the image is to big this is the link below...)
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x33 ... 1101-1.jpg

I use the S-Video and I bought it because of that and the fact they also had the USB port on it for "future use"
It paid off... :D
HD-XR model N1101 Firmware 3.1 Bld 1182
Linksys BEFSX41 <==> AT&T ADSL
Channel Master CM-7000 HDTV Tuner
27" RCA ColorTrak circa 1992. Scissors! ---8<-----
dividebyzer0

Postby kc8pql » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:46 am

Aaaa, don't worry about it microlady. It is confusing. We'd probably be better off just referring to model numbers rather than the letter names, except I can't ever remember what they are! :wink: :lol:
OTA Antenna
"Netflix Player" N1000X
Roku2 XD 3050X
Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby microlady » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:29 pm

dividebyzer0: Thanks for that information. It is nice to know what models truly have S-Video for those who use it (like me). And, as is said...A picture is worth a thousand words and the picture you posted is great. I do envy you when I note at the bottom you don't have cable...you must have a good channel selection where you are...I don't. Also you using S-Video which I also do as I have my Roku set up to either be watched on a 32" LCD HDTV or (and most of the time), my old reliable 1995 RCA 27". I agree with you these CRT TVs are very heavy and I know I was very surprised to realize how "future" it was...with S-Video as well as composite..as well as a special channel 00 for anything connected to those jacks, thereby avoiding the old VCR channel 3/4, switching to it as a TV or VCR channel. However, it is starting to overscan so I know eventually I will have to rearrange the room and move the RCA with its heavy wooden enclosure that only takes 27" wide TVs and I have all my media stuff on the extra shelves, etc. So I understand your enjoyment of your 1992 RCA and its connections.

kc8pql: Yeah, model numbers would be more accurate, as long as Roku doesn't try "rebranding" those too :)
microlady

Postby dividebyzer0 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:53 pm

Over the air HDTV in Wichita KS is around 10 channels total. all the major players ABC CBS NBC PBS
also some "Retro TV" some "Selling you stuff channels" and some Spanish Language content.
The HDTV Converter I picked because it had the S-Video output. it got good reviews.
(it doesn't have a video pass-through feature which would be nice.)
I picked the RCA Monster at a thrift store for $40.00 I wanted a TV with S-Video plus it has just
about every input and output for a CRT TV (in 1992 that is) and I didn't have to pay the new price.

I suppose I will replace it with another TV when people are donating wide screen HDTVs to the
thrift store cause they have to make room for their new 3DTV... :D
Last edited by dividebyzer0 on Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
dividebyzer0

Postby microlady » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:18 pm

dividebyzer0

Sounds like a good setup. Channels sound like the amount I get in Nevada. Got cable as it was originally like $25.00 a month..and now we like FX, USA, A&E, and ESPN...once I figure how to get these over the Internet without cable....just might be able to try "cutting the cord". Now that same cable with new owners runs over $50.00 a month and that's only analog..so does not include digital boxes, etc.

We bought our RCA in 1995 and have repaired it one time when it was losing channels like 40 to channel 50 and needed a circuit board. Great picture, especially for such an oldie. My VCR does not have S-Video so I got a converter to plug in the RCA video and convert it to S-Video on a multiple video switcher, as my DVD Player and Roku both do S-Video very nicely.

Good idea getting that TV the way you did. Great to hear about bargains nowadays.
microlady

Postby dividebyzer0 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:33 am

Why should I want to use S-Video instead of Composite (Single Yellow Cable)?

The luminance (Y; gray-scale) signal and chrominance (C; color) information are carried on separate, synchronised signal and ground pairs.
In composite video, the luminance signal is low-pass filtered to prevent crosstalk between high-frequency luminance information and the color subcarrier. S-Video maintains the two as separate signals, so that detrimental low-pass filtering is unnecessary. This increases bandwidth for the luminance information, and also subdues the color crosstalk problem. The infamous dot crawl is eliminated. This means that S-Video leaves more information from the original video intact; thus, it offers an improved image reproduction compared to composite video.
Pin 1 GND Ground (Y)
Pin 2 GND Ground (C)
Pin 3 Y Intensity (Luminance)
Pin 4 C Color (Chrominance)
dividebyzer0

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion