frequent stopping of videos

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

frequent stopping of videos

Postby bigmama » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:38 pm

I have had Roku for a couple of years. Three days ago Netflick streamed videos began frequently stopping and retrieving.
roku staff say I need to increase my computer speed. I have 768 kbps. Why would this suddenly no longer work? I feel like Roku staff are passing the buck to the server, and of course the server (AT&T) wants to sell me an upgrade. Help!
bigmama

Re: frequent stopping of videos

Postby jcotemerow » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:44 pm

I am having the same problem Have been a user of Roku / Netflix for a few years and recently there are problems viewing movies. I have comcast. movies either don't start, or start and stop. don't know if the problem could be caused by comcast's recent network changes or if it is on the roku download end. It is now on wireless, but i changed the router and then I did a direct connect and still had the same problem. I am ready to ditch both comcast and roku. It used to be a great relaxing experience for me to see movies and now it is nothing but a big frustration!
jcotemerow

Postby rastus74 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:34 am

I have also started having frequent stops the last couple of days . At&t is my provider. My speed is about 1.44 mbs.
Until the past couple of days everything work fine. Tried the hard reset as previously described with excellent results! Even corrected a problem I had with audio while using a HDMI cable.
rastus74

Postby redfactionkiller » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:37 am

I have noticed that since the latest software update I have videos stop and retrieve.
Mostly NBC news feeds on Newscaster, Mediafly and PodTV.

NBC hiccup or Roku Software bug?
redfactionkiller

Postby maylea31 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:32 am

I have the same issue and people kept trying to tell me it was my issue not ROKU or Netflix eventhough I kept telling them everything was fine until the last firmware update and nothing had changed on my side. So I stopped trying to get help on here. Glad to see I am not crazy. I did a factory reset and that helped a bit. Also, I noticed if I start a video, then stop it and back out, then go right back in, it helps the issues of you guys are talking about and stops it defaulting to a low quality.

ALSO, since the firmware update, Fox News podcasts just keep looping and looping. I checked their format and it is mp4 just like cnn and msnbc, but only fox podcast is affected. I thought ROKU said there was going to be a fix very soon but I have not seen anything posted recently. I am having to use my Sony Blu-ray player to watch these which is a pain. I also tried streaming the podcasts through Chaneru thinking it would work with the locally downloaded file in my itunes, but it loops as well. So, there is something squirrelly in the firmware. I get tired of watching cnn, msnbc, and then having to turn on my blu-ray to watch fox.
maylea31

Postby maylea31 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:23 am

maylea31 wrote:I have the same issue and people kept trying to tell me it was my issue not ROKU or Netflix eventhough I kept telling them everything was fine until the last firmware update and nothing had changed on my side. So I stopped trying to get help on here. Glad to see I am not crazy. I did a factory reset and that helped a bit. Also, I noticed if I start a video, then stop it and back out, then go right back in, it helps the issues of you guys are talking about and stops it defaulting to a low quality.

ALSO, since the firmware update, Fox News podcasts just keep looping and looping. I checked their format and it is mp4 just like cnn and msnbc, but only fox podcast is affected. I thought ROKU said there was going to be a fix very soon but I have not seen anything posted recently. I am having to use my Sony Blu-ray player to watch these which is a pain. I also tried streaming the podcasts through Chaneru thinking it would work with the locally downloaded file in my itunes, but it loops as well. So, there is something squirrelly in the firmware. I get tired of watching cnn, msnbc, and then having to turn on my blu-ray to watch fox.

Well, guess what. I just loaded Chaneru's new 1.4 beta, and although the video starts with a glitch of one loop cycle, I can stream the foxnews podcasts that are stored locally on my computer although sometimes video and sound are out of sync. But this at least makes it viewable now. But still think there is something off in the firmware update. THANK YOU CHANERU! Love your channel.
maylea31

Postby WardFamily » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:40 am

Same Problem with Netflix. Netflix said it was my problem (Internet speed), but it was fine the other day. Its been going on for about a week. Roku?
http://lindenalabama.net
WardFamily

Postby sidbrown210 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:47 pm

I have to agree with what others posted. I was again ready to sing the praises of Roku but this recent update has made almost everything unwatchable. I have broadband speeds at confirmed 4Mbs and I still get "Loading, please wait" 10 times while watching almost any video. How do I know it's the player? I have a Xbox360 and a Playstation 3 and there are no streaming issues. I need Roku to work I hope the mods are registering these complaints properly.
sidbrown210

Postby kumasuki » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:08 am

sidbrown210 wrote: How do I know it's the player? I have a Xbox360 and a Playstation 3 and there are no streaming issues.

Just an important clarification: Netflix working OK on other devices in the same network is NOT an indication that the problem is necessarily with the Roku. Netflix and other content providers uses different CDNs for different viewing platforms - this means that an Xbox, Playstation, computer browser, Roku, etc. each get physically different streams even when accessing the same title.
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby sidbrown210 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:05 am

kumasuki wrote:
sidbrown210 wrote: How do I know it's the player? I have a Xbox360 and a Playstation 3 and there are no streaming issues.

Just an important clarification: Netflix working OK on other devices in the same network is NOT an indication that the problem is necessarily with the Roku. Netflix and other content providers uses different CDNs for different viewing platforms - this means that an Xbox, Playstation, computer browser, Roku, etc. each get physically different streams even when accessing the same title.

My apology. I should have been more clear. The fact that it works with other devices that may use another CDN would certainly speak to issues the consumer can control (i.e. provider, LAN). The instant reaction I've read to this issues in 90% of cases was that "it's your (equipment, wireless network, provider) that's causing the issue." This would still be an issue resolved outside the individual users control. I guess this is issue that can be somewhat frustrating; my expectations for the product is that the basic service it should provide ( reliable video playback) should be addressed especially those issues outside individual control.
sidbrown210

Postby dgrace » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:34 am

What I've been noticing is that, with diagnostic feature turned on, the first mediafly program I watch has my network speed high, as in 8.5mbps. Each following program gets less and less speed showing. I can understand the speeds varying, but why always slower and slower until I start getting the buffering annoyance? It's almost as is I'm adding another stream each time, choking the stream, instead of stopping one and starting a new one.
My ISP is bumping us from 8 to 15mbps in the near future so may not be an issue then, but interesting that the streaming speed decreases each time.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
Frank Zappa
dgrace

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion