Credit Card required AFTER purchase?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: Credit Card required AFTER purchase?

Postby fredp » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:29 am

You are quite right, James. But, until you told us I didn't know. I'm glad to hear it, though.

However, I suspect you are confusing private and public with pay and no-pay. What I saw in the developer forum did not lend me to believe there was any obstacle to going from public (or private) content for free to for pay. Please help me, then, James. How does this work?

I stand by my strong recommendatoin Roku consider this an opt-in service. Forcing the two people I bought Roku's for (as gifts) to submit credit card information after the fact was embarassing, especially since one is too young to have a card!

As you have just made us aware, James, if Roku can differentiate between free and pay for content (and already allows private subscriptions without a credit card), why can't Roku allow free public subscriptions without a credit card?

I am very disappointed in Roku right now. I feel like you gave us something great and then took it away.
fredp

Postby kc8pql » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:40 am

I think you're getting worked up about nothing myself but, I do agree that option to opt out of the Roku billing service should be included if you don't want to buy channels on the box.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby SuetyStanes » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:04 am

Fred, RokuJames already answered your concern. Why do you not believe him?

I thought I had read on this forum that there was a way to simply not enter the CC information, that it just looks like you have to enter the information, but it's actually optional.

Fortunately, I haven't had to deal with this as I registered long before this was implemented, but I can certainly understand the concern if the CC information is indeed mandatory.
Last edited by SuetyStanes on Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuetyStanes

Postby kbenson » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:46 am

fredp wrote:However, I suspect you are confusing private and public with pay and no-pay. What I saw in the developer forum did not lend me to believe there was any obstacle to going from public (or private) content for free to for pay. Please help me, then, James. How does this work?

Public and private channels are handled differently, with different sets of channels listed for each in the developer inteface. Submitting a channel as a private channel is immediate and requires no approval. Submitting for a public channel requires review and approval by Roku before it's allowed to actually go public. A public channel can never automatically be made private, nor can a private be automatically made public. It would require resubmission to the other channel queue.

When the developer is a premium developer, public channel submission process allows for payment to be required, and lets you choose the amount and interval (one time, monthly, yearly). After this information is set, it cannot be changed through the developer interface. To change the cost of a channel, the developer would have to resubmit it as a new channel in the public queue.

I stand by my strong recommendatoin Roku consider this an opt-in service. Forcing the two people I bought Roku's for (as gifts) to submit credit card information after the fact was embarassing, especially since one is too young to have a card!

I too think the better solution would be to allow a way to opt-out easily when linking the Roku, and just display a notice that there's no billing info associated with the account so it can't continue. I understand Roku's position though, which is that without a little kick in the rear, most people wouldn't bother to add a card, and wouldn't ever bother trying any premium channels. I suspect Roku is counting on store sales revenue to power their future growth, as the margins on the hardware itself can't be that much. I'm willing to forgive a little pressure from them in this are if it fuels some good advancements in the future.

There have been reports that people that really didn't want to or could not link a CC were able to bypass it by calling support, so it's not quite as bad as it sounds. There is a way to bypass it, it's just not easy, which I think is a compromise most can live with.
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
kbenson

Postby TheEndless » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:03 pm

kbenson wrote:There have been reports that people that really didn't want to or could not link a CC were able to bypass it by calling support, so it's not quite as bad as it sounds. There is a way to bypass it, it's just not easy, which I think is a compromise most can live with.

You also have the option of using PayPal, and I haven't tried it, but I'd be willing to bet a Visa gift card would work, so there are alternatives to using a credit card.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby cwniles » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:34 pm

I have to agree with Fred on this one.....I for one have never been REQUIRED to provide Roku with a CC # and if for some reason I was suddenly required to, I would not be happy.

There are a multitude of arguments for and against this apparently new policy but for me, I don't like it. It should be optional.
Roku 2 XS>HDMI>Denon AVR-361>HDMI>Samsung 2333HD
Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem DPC2100R2 >Dynex DX-E402 Router (no wifi)
USB>Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA 1TB in dock.
Roku S/N 13A16H000141
cwniles

Postby fredp » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:01 pm

Thank you. I have learned a lot and now agree the risk of erroneous billing is no worse than any where else. I appreciate the supportive comments on opt-in. I got the idea from another forum member and still think it's a good one.

And Kudo's to the Group! This has actually been a very good discussion. best regards, Fred.
fredp

Postby Applegategh » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:14 am

I feel it is dishonest to advertise their device as an interface to Netflix, and then REQUIRE that you provide them with your credit card information before they will allow you to use the device.
I recommend one of the many other devices that will interface to Netflix, including Netflix-ready TVs and Blue-Ray players.
Applegategh

Postby Chuck_IV » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:03 am

The bottom line with this is it should be 100% OPTIONAL. If you want to store a credit card/PayPal and have it used for future purchases then great, have at it. But if you don't, then you should not be forced to enter one, PERIOD.

As others have said, more and more people are becoming VERY protective of their CC #'s, myself included. I am not about to put in a credit card # just "in case" someone may need it later... and that includes linking my PayPal account.
Chuck_IV

Postby renojim » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:51 pm

I agree that it should be optional, but for those who have never seen it, Citibank cards and Discover cards allow you to generate virtual account numbers. I prefer the Citibank method - you can generate a card with a time limit and/or dollar limit. I don't know what will happen on the Roku when your card with a one month limit expires, but at least you'd get past the initial requirement.

-JT
renojim

Postby notserpmh » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:02 pm

renojim wrote:I agree that it should be optional, but for those who have never seen it, Citibank cards and Discover cards allow you to generate virtual account numbers. I prefer the Citibank method - you can generate a card with a time limit and/or dollar limit. I don't know what will happen on the Roku when your card with a one month limit expires, but at least you'd get past the initial requirement.

-JT

I just bought a Roku for my father-in-law for his birthday. I have had one for a while, before requiring a credit card to link. He, overall, isn't super tech savvy, so I wanted to be able to give it to him, he take it home, plug it in, and have it work. I knew netflix would require a cc to start him on a free trial, but I didn't realize Roku would. What I ended up doing was generating a temporary credit card number with a 2 month time frame and $10 limit (the lowest options available). I used that to sign him up and link the Roku, then from Roku's site, I deleted the credit card out of the billing profile.

I do find it kind of lame that they will let you have an account without a credit card, but won't let you go through the initial setup without one. I think they should have a page during the initial sign up asking for a credit card and explaining it is required for premium channels, but having an "opt-out" button so that you can bypass it if you don't want it. There is a ton of free content for the Roku and one of its major advertising ploys is "no additional fees", so the credit card thing kind of caught me off guard.
notserpmh

Postby kbenson » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:12 pm

notserpmh wrote:I do find it kind of lame that they will let you have an account without a credit card, but won't let you go through the initial setup without one. I think they should have a page during the initial sign up asking for a credit card and explaining it is required for premium channels, but having an "opt-out" button so that you can bypass it if you don't want it. There is a ton of free content for the Roku and one of its major advertising ploys is "no additional fees", so the credit card thing kind of caught me off guard.

I think the idea is they are trying to train the userbase to accept the concept of purchasing through the device. For phones, it's already an established concept. For set-top devices, it's considerably more murky. Until recently each channel on the Roku had to have their own individual billing system set up. Roku now has a channel purchasing/billing system, but their existing user base isn't set up for it. I imagine their current policy is an attempt to offset that in some respect.

That said, I too wish it was easier to bypass. I imagine they'll relax it at some point, but only time will tell.
-- GandK Labs
kbenson

Postby zarwin » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:47 pm

Be sure to give em a one star rating wherever you purchased from if you can. I sure did. Holding my new box hostage for a credit card when I only intend to use it for netflix is really crappy of them.
zarwin

Postby kbenson » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:01 pm

zarwin wrote: Holding my new box hostage for a credit card...

That's a bit much, isn't it? Just contact support and they'll bypass the requirement for you.

Want to ding them in the rating for how annoying that makes the setup? Go ahead, but anyone who really objects to the CC requirement should consider their first stop to register a complaint or fix the problem would be customer service. If you didn't contact support about it, you obviously didn't care enough at the time to let them know.
-- GandK Labs
kbenson

Postby stratcat96 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:26 pm

What's up with all the dead threads being resurrected lately?
stratcat96

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion