Antannae and ROKU

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Antannae and ROKU

Postby wfj1952 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:01 pm

Can I connect an antennae and the Roku to a tv set at the same time? I want to watch local live tv, not just movies, etc. Also, is there a way to record programs through Roku for later viewing?
wfj1952

Re: Antannae and ROKU

Postby stratcat96 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:07 pm

wfj1952 wrote:Can I connect an antennae and the Roku to a tv set at the same time? I want to watch local live tv, not just movies, etc. Also, is there a way to record programs through Roku for later viewing?

Yes sir, no sir. ;)

You can connect an antenna to your tv, but you can't "record" off of Roku. Roku is a "video on demand" device meaning for the most part (with small exception) you are choosing pre-recorded material to view at any given time. The content available on there is available when YOU want it, but if you are referring to the possibilty of it being used as a dvr for your local tv, then no.

Depending on what you want to be able to watch at a later date, tv shows, news, etc.. that stuff many times can be found prerecorded for post-broadcast viewing on the Roku on channels like Newscaster, Hulu +, etc.
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Postby wfj1952 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:13 pm

OK. Thanks. We ordered two Rokus this morning before thinking about watching local/live TV. We were to cancel our order but if I can attach an antennae and the Roku that would be great. Any explaination as to how this is done? We don't have our units yet to look at the connections.
wfj1952

Postby Robert99 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:45 pm

wfj1952 wrote:but if I can attach an antennae and the Roku that would be great. Any explaination as to how this is done? We don't have our units yet to look at the connections.
For the antenna, it depends upon how new/old your TVs are. It you have modern TVs with digital turners, you just hook the antenna up directly to the TV/antenna input of your TV (and tune the stations with your TV's remote). However, if you have an older analog TV, you will need to get a DTV converter box (often around $40), and put that between your antenna and your TV's input (in which case, you would tune the antenna/TV via the converter box).

For the ROKU, you hook it up to the TV pretty much the same way you would hook up a DVD player player to your TV. On most TV's this is a different TV input than the one you hook the antenna up to.

NOTE: Most TVs these days have enough separate inputs, that adding a ROKU and a antenna (and possibly other devices as well) is not a problem. For example, I have a lower end (720P off brand) 32" LCD TV, that still has enough inputs to have all of the following hooked up at once: An antenna (for over the air TV), a PC (using the TV as a "monitor"), a ROKU, a combo DVD/VCR, and an XBOX 360.

However, the number of different TV inputs does vary with TV brand/model, and so there is a possibility that your particular TVs would be limited to the number of inputs. If that turns out to be the case (and most TVs these days at least have enough inputs for both an antenna and at least one video device, such as a ROKU, at the same time), you would still have the option to buy/install an external audio/video switch, in order to hook up more devices than your TVs physically have inputs for.
Robert99

Postby kc8pql » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:50 pm

The antenna connects to the antenna jack on the back of your TV. The Roku connects to your TV using one of the video in connections, HDMI, component or composite depending on which model Roku you have and what inputs are available on your TV.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby mommom » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:15 pm

You connect the Roku to the tv the same as you would a DVD player.Then connect the antenna the same as you would connect cable to the tv.Unlebox to the tv.ss you have an older tv with no digital tuner,then you connect the antenna to a converter box and the converter
mommom

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion