RCA Universal Remote

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

RCA Universal Remote

Postby nomadicmouse » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:16 pm

Will Roku work with RCA Universal Remote (model number RCRN04GR)?
nomadicmouse

Re: RCA Universal Remote

Postby elorimer » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:50 pm

No.

Most any "learning" remote will work. Most any non-learning "universal" remote will not. IIRC there is one RCA remote that has a Roku code listed, and a few that have a Roku code under "Video Accessories", but I wonder if those are for the Soundbridge instead. In any case that remote doesn't have even that possibility. You can look at the RCA codes here: http://www.rcaaudiovideo.com/
elorimer

Postby mikebdoss » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:24 pm

elorimer wrote:No.

Most any "learning" remote will work. Most any non-learning "universal" remote will not. IIRC there is one RCA remote that has a Roku code listed, and a few that have a Roku code under "Video Accessories", but I wonder if those are for the Soundbridge instead. In any case that remote doesn't have even that possibility. You can look at the RCA codes here: http://www.rcaaudiovideo.com/

Several Harmony universal remotes include the Roku as a device, without needing the "learning" feature.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby nomadicmouse » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:14 am

Thanks for the information.

:)
nomadicmouse

Postby offroad » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:47 pm

code is 2371 for a RCRP05BR remote. program the CBL button. works fine with roku.
offroad

Postby Fizzy » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:30 pm

I have the RCA model RCRN04GR. I purchased it specifically for use with my Roku. It does work with the roku. Not all functions are available, but use the sat/cbl/strm button for programming.
The OK button and pause work fine. FF, rev seem to have a delay. I'm ok with that.
I'm down to one remote instead of 4

Well, I was! If anyone has the Roku code for this remote, please post for me! The cat knocked the remote down and knocked the battery out while I was at work so now I need to reprogram, lol! The above code didn't work, and RCA site says no streaming box codes are avail for this one ( or any other one I tried)

Thanks
Fizzy

Postby RyanRC » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:42 am

mikebdoss wrote:
elorimer wrote:
Several Harmony universal remotes include the Roku as a device, without needing the "learning" feature.
Can tell you my Harmony 550 which is a fairly older remote works on both the Roku HD I have, as well as even the new Roku3 which is actually WiFi btw (but still does IR thankfully). Also the Harmony 720's I am switching over to as I can get them, also work just fine.

Keep in mind for the Roku3, being IR I'm pretty sure you loose the tracking thing for the games.

Tell you these Harmonies are really just the greatest things in my opinion, from between being able to set them up in just about any way you want and all on the computer, to how they never really become outdated as just about no matter what comes along, you will be able to get the remote working for it via how all the coding comes via being supplied over the net by Logitech.

About the only down side to them is they can sure be pricey if you want to get the ones with the most features.

Also if you break them, Harmonies service behind the product is pretty poor especially if its out of warranty as if it breaks then, they won't even talk to you.

Also gotta be pretty careful not to drop them which if you a heavy user, is bound to happen sooner or later. All in all most of them do not do well with impacts.

But for that cost thing, I really have been finding some good deals in picking up ones on eBay. Some have been some bum units, but all in all you can get ones that once cost a lot, for quite a bit less now.

About the only other downside I would say is they can be a bit of a learning curve as they have so many options and capabilities, they can take some time to set up and get working correctly.

But once they are, man they are just the Bee's Knee's
RyanRC

Postby RickRansom » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:13 am

Fizzy wrote:I have the RCA model RCRN04GR. I purchased it specifically for use with my Roku. It does work with the roku. Not all functions are available, but use the sat/cbl/strm button for programming.
The OK button and pause work fine. FF, rev seem to have a delay. I'm ok with that.

Well, I was! If anyone has the Roku code for this remote, please post for me! The cat knocked the remote down and knocked the battery out while I was at work so now I need to reprogram, lol! The above code didn't work, and RCA site says no streaming box codes are avail for this one ( or any other one I tried)

Thanks

I tried to look at the manual and the code list but it doesn't show Roku anywhere. Try to get a hold of RCA and maybe they have the answer to this. Good luck!
Retired
RickRansom

Postby crazypenguin » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:54 am

Fizzy wrote:I have the RCA model RCRN04GR. I purchased it specifically for use with my Roku. It does work with the roku. Not all functions are available, but use the sat/cbl/strm button for programming.

Thanks

52371 and 53061 are the two codes listed for Roku for the RCRN04GR remote. The 53061 code worked with full functionality for my Roku 3.
crazypenguin

Postby rogb » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:40 pm

I have a RCA RCRN06GR remote and code 53061 for my Roku 2 XD. Direct code entry.
rogb

Postby King901 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:29 pm

I just found a roku xd at the goodwill today for 4.99 i picked it up it works,well as i got home i looked and relised it did not have a remote,so i got a rca universal remote RCRN04GR i have the 52371,53061 codes but iv tried the button that you need to press. i dont know what im doing wrong... please help i would love to use this thing.
King901

Postby PaJoe » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:50 pm

A little off topic, if you have a learning remote set up for a ROKU series 1, 2 or 3 ROKU they all will work for basic video watching. I had no problems upgrading the ROKU from series 1 to 2 to 3 and keeping the same remote and not re-learning anything. Naturally if you want to use headphones you need the Series 3 remote. We have been using the cheap Sony RMVLZ620 learning remotes
PaJoe

Postby chansenola » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:42 pm

I have the RCRP05BR. Was actually sitting in a drawer for a year after forgetting I bought it. And lo and behold, controls my Roku 3, with one problem. No "Back" button works. Any help??? (The top left roku button with an arrow on it that kicks you back one screen.)
chansenola

Postby Tivoburkee » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:35 pm

chansenola wrote:I have the RCRP05BR. Was actually sitting in a drawer for a year after forgetting I bought it. And lo and behold, controls my Roku 3, with one problem. No "Back" button works. Any help??? (The top left roku button with an arrow on it that kicks you back one screen.)

Sorry, the only ways to get the back command is by learning from a IR remote, or hacking the remote via jp1. The newer keys are not from the same protocol as the original roku commands, and this protocol doesn't match preset code in the rcrp05b. See this thread at jp1 forum:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14040
Tivoburkee

Postby chansenola » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:47 pm

Tivoburkee wrote:
chansenola wrote:I have the RCRP05BR. Was actually sitting in a drawer for a year after forgetting I bought it. And lo and behold, controls my Roku 3, with one problem. No "Back" button works. Any help??? (The top left roku button with an arrow on it that kicks you back one screen.)

Sorry, the only ways to get the back command is by learning from a IR remote, or hacking the remote via jp1. The newer keys are not from the same protocol as the original roku commands, and this protocol doesn't match preset code in the rcrp05b. See this thread at jp1 forum:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14040

What would be the procedure? I know the Roku 3 is a wifi remote, but obviously works. I tried "learning" the button with the wifi remote and my RCA remote, but no-go. How would I learn from an IR remote? Would I need to learn that button to yet another remote "harmony" then "learn" it back to the rca?

Is this JP1 cable thing the way to go. Is it basically sort of a "universal" way of doing what the Harmony software does?

Not against that, but I am currently obsessed with Android mini pc's and not sure i want to get preoccupied with another project.
chansenola

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion