After a power outage...

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

After a power outage...

Postby twangcat » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:44 pm

Following a recent power outage our Roku won't connect via wireless. I searched the forum for a solution and found reference to the "all 0's wireless Mac issue" but no explanation as to a remedy. I don't see how to access a screen on which to enter our Player's MAC address as instructed on an error screen following a network scan by the Roku. I need instructions as to the fix please.

Thanks for any help.

Cliff
twangcat

Re: After a power outage...

Postby senorgregster » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:27 pm

twangcat wrote:Following a recent power outage our Roku won't connect via wireless. I searched the forum for a solution and found reference to the "all 0's wireless Mac issue" but no explanation as to a remedy. I don't see how to access a screen on which to enter our Player's MAC address as instructed on an error screen following a network scan by the Roku. I need instructions as to the fix please.

Thanks for any help.

Cliff

This happened to me a few days ago. Have you unplugged at the ROKU (not the wall) and restarted. Worked for me and I believe many others.
senorgregster

Postby twangcat » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:15 pm

Yes, tried this, didn't work.
twangcat

Postby dividebyzer0 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:23 pm

Use a wired connection to connect and configure.
HD-XR model N1101 Firmware 3.1 Bld 1182
Linksys BEFSX41 <==> AT&T ADSL
Channel Master CM-7000 HDTV Tuner
27" RCA ColorTrak circa 1992. Scissors! ---8<-----
dividebyzer0

Postby hn333 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:21 pm

I've heard that the power supply could cause that to happen. The power outage may have damaged the power supply. Don't take my word for it.
hn333

Postby mommom » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:04 pm

I had to do a hard reset and then power cycle my modem and router after a power outage last week.I did have to reregister my Roku with Netflix and Amazon,but the good news was that Amazon gave me a new $5 credit for hooking up. :P
mommom

Postby hn333 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:29 pm

mommom wrote:I had to do a hard reset and then power cycle my modem and router after a power outage last week.I did have to reregister my Roku with Netflix and Amazon,but the good news was that Amazon gave me a new $5 credit for hooking up. :P

Haha that happened to me once also. The first week I got my roku I had 10 bucks in credit. Too bad most of the new movies suck.
hn333

Postby dukeboy » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:47 pm

I had the same problem happen this week. Both my Roku boxes cannot find or connect to my wireless network. All other devices that use wi-fi in our house (laptop, iPod, iPad) are working normally. I have removed the power cord from the back of both Roku boxes multiple times and tried to restart/reconfigure Roku that was but it never recognizes my wireless network (or any other wireless network).

We've had a couple power outages before and this never happened.

I get the MAC error message as well, but there is no setting anywhere in my router configuration (I use an Apple AirPort base) to change that setting. I also do not have a TV anywhere near a router so cannot hook up the Roku box using an ethernet cable to reconfigure.

This is very annoying and any help would be very much appreciated. If a basic power outage fried my Roku, I'll just replace them with Apple TV. I like the Roku, but not enough to risk going through this again.

Thanks,

Mike
dukeboy

Postby kc8pql » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:04 pm

As noted above, if a simple box reboot doesn't work, the next step is to reboot your modem, router and Roku in that order. Unplug all three, wait a few mins.,then plug the modem back in and let it boot up completely. Then do the same with the router, then the Roku.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby dukeboy » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:14 pm

I did all that multiple times and still nothing works. Every other wireless device I own can find my network. Only Roku can't. Getting ready to bail on Roku and go with Apple.
dukeboy

Postby kc8pql » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:16 pm

dukeboy wrote:I did all that multiple times and still nothing works. Every other wireless device I own can find my network. Only Roku can't. Getting ready to bail on Roku and go with Apple.

Better go over and read their forum a bit first.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby dukeboy » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:41 am

kc8pql wrote:Better go over and read their forum a bit first.

That's all well and good, but if none of the alleged fixes Roku is suggesting work, then my Roku boxes are useless and need to be replaced.
dukeboy

Postby bluene » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:00 pm

I had the same thing happen recently. After a power outage, it would not show any wireless networks, not even the "not shown" icon, just a blank screen. I usually see my network plus 3 of my neighbors'. After trying reset, reboot, and all the other suggestions Roku and this forum suggest over and over again, Roku finally sent me a new unit. It worked pretty well for two days, then got slower and slower until it will no longer retrieve a movie. All functions work as slow as molasses. I went thru all the resets, reboots, and all over and over again, and now I'm sick of the whole thing. I think I'm ready for a competitive device! :x
bluene

Postby Floyd R. Turbo » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:25 pm

Hi,
I had something like what happened to you happen to me.
I went on vacation for 2 weeks and I powered down
the surge protector that all the TV equipment (including
the Roku box) was plugged into. When I got home, I hit the switch
on the surge protector and everything worked except the Roku
box could not see a network, any network. I never checked
to see if the MAC address was all zeros.
The only thing that actually fixed it was to plug in an
ethernet cable and then update the Roku box. Then the
wireless worked!
I was lucky to have a 75-100 ft ethernet cable that I got from
a friend at work. Those aren't cheap.
Floyd
No matter where you go, there you are.
Floyd R. Turbo

Postby bluene » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:27 am

Hi Floyd,
I tried setting up while wired but still got the same blank screen where the wireless icons should be. Roku finally decided it was a hardware problem and sent me a new unit. For the very slow performance problem with my new unit they suggested using fixed DNS numbers for the router. I installed those, 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220, and the unit works perfectly. I don't know what that does, but it works. By the way, Amazon.com has cheap, long ethernet cables, like 100 feet for $8.20!! :D

Cheers!
Chuck
bluene

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion