Multiple Rokus

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Multiple Rokus

Postby Padi73 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:33 am

How many Rokus can I have?
Can I use them all at the same time?
does it depend on the roku's configuration or the subscriptions (netflix, Hulu, etc) you have ? :?

Thank you for your input.
Padi73

Re: Multiple Rokus

Postby gonzotek » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:19 am

It mostly depends on the amount of data your local network and ISP bandwidth can handle. You can own any number of Rokus you can afford to purchase. Once you have them, they each need to connect to the internet to retrieve their content. If you have several all trying to stream high definition content at the same time, it's quite possible to use up your available bandwidth.

Additionally, some providers, limit the number of devices you can register to the account holder and also limit how many devices can connect at a single time. Netflix indicates 6 is the max for my account, looking at the "Manage Netflix ready devices and computers" link from "My Account and Help" page. I think that might be the same for everyone, but I'm not 100% certain.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **

Postby kc8pql » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:21 am

You can have as many as you want as long as you have the bandwidth to feed them all. Nertflix has restrictions though. Six devices per account, including computers etc., is the limit. They also limit how many different programs you can stream a once depending on which subscription plan you have. One disc out at a time, one program, two disks, two programs three, three...
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby SuetyStanes » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:41 am

I think Hulu+ only allows you to stream to one device at a time.
SuetyStanes

Postby RokuPatrick » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:02 pm

Roku doesn't impose any limitations on the number of units you can have within your house. The practical limitation is a combination of available bandwidth (for simultaneous streaming) and the policies enforced by content providers (how many units can be linked or how many can stream at once)
Patrick
Roku Developer Program Manager
RokuPatrick

Postby Robert99 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:05 pm

In addition to the good points everyone else mentioned about total bandwidth usage (and device limits on various subscription services), keep in mind that all the players will be using the same frequencies for their wireless remotes!

So if you have the devices physically too close together, it is quite possible for a user's remote to control more than one of the devices at the same time (which is probably not what is intended)! And this isn't just hypothetical either. For example, when I had one ROKU setup in the bedroom and another in the living room (next room over), I found that sometimes both devices would respond to the remote if/when I had the connecting door open...

NOTE: One way around the remote (controlling multiple ROKUs) issue, would be to use the internet interface to control the ROKU, instead of the wireless remote (the internet interface could even done from a wireless computer and/or smart phone, so it could still be "wireless"). This should work, because unlike the normal/wireless ROKU remote, the internet remote interface (actually done via "telnet") will go directly to the IP LAN address of the player you are directing it to, and therefore will only control one ROKU player at a time (vs potentially controlling multiple ROKU players "in range").
Robert99

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion