Wireless Keyboard/Mouse

This is the place to discuss items not related to your Roku Streaming Player

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Wireless Keyboard/Mouse

Postby ardnas » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:34 pm

I'm looking for a wireless keyboard/mouse or some other form of remote device to use when I want to watch internet content on my TV (with computer connected), for the times when I can't get the program on Roku (ie the Camelot sneak preview on Starz and TNT programming).

I purchased a Vista MCE remote control (operates XP and 7 as well) and while it works with Windows Media Center, there's no keyboard. I guess I was hopeful that I could get it to work...

Recommendations would be appreciated.
ardnas

Re: Wireless Keyboard/Mouse

Postby gonzotek » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:54 pm

ardnas wrote:I'm looking for a wireless keyboard/mouse or some other form of remote device to use when I want to watch internet content on my TV (with computer connected), for the times when I can't get the program on Roku (ie the Camelot sneak preview on Starz and TNT programming).

I purchased a Vista MCE remote control (operates XP and 7 as well) and while it works with Windows Media Center, there's no keyboard. I guess I was hopeful that I could get it to work...

Recommendations would be appreciated.
I haven't needed to use it in a few years, but I really liked the Gyration-brand wireless keyboard and mouse. The mouse had a accelerometer and so could be used by waving it around in the air (it was a little impractical for small detail work, not always super-accurate but good enough for WMC). It also worked just fine as a regular mouse, with normal laser sensor. The keyboard was not full, regulation size, but wasn't so tiny as to be unusable. I think I picked it up from a Woot sale pretty cheap. Looking at Amazon, the current Gyration mouse+keyboard packages (here's one, there are several) are in the $>100 range, not sure if I would buy again or not at that price.

I've seen a lot of people mention this for tv use: Rii Portable 2.4GHz Mini Wireless Keyboard. But I don't have any personal experience with it. Much smaller than the Gyration.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **

Postby TheEndless » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:01 pm

If price isn't an issue, you could try the Logitech diNovo Mini: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-920-0005 ... 376&sr=8-9

Or, for $40 there's the Rii Mini: http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Wireless ... 376&sr=8-1

I don't have any personal experience with either, but they seem to get decent reviews.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby ardnas » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:45 pm

Price is an issue, as I'm trying to downsize and stay within a budget =D I've been look at the Rii mini for a while now, considering it pops up whenever I do a search at Amazon. I'm glad to see that you both posted a link to it. I'm just looking for some feedback before I spend again. The remote I purchased really wasn't what I needed and I hate to buy unless I have a recommendation... Thank you for the recommendations.

If anyone has anyone else to suggest, I would really appreciate it!
ardnas

Postby ApK » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:30 am

ardnas wrote:Price is an issue, as I'm trying to downsize and stay within a budget =D I've been look at the Rii mini for a while now, considering it pops up whenever I do a search at Amazon. I'm glad to see that you both posted a link to it. I'm just looking for some feedback before I spend again. The remote I purchased really wasn't what I needed and I hate to buy unless I have a recommendation... Thank you for the recommendations.

If anyone has anyone else to suggest, I would really appreciate it!

Amazon also lists this similar model for a few dollars more:
http://www.amazon.com/ProMini-Wireless- ... =pd_cp_e_1

That ProMini is also on ThinkGeek for considerably more money.

I'd be curious if anyone can recommend one over the other.
ApK

Postby ApK » Tue May 10, 2011 1:49 pm

For anyone interested, I went ahead and got the least expensive Rii 'wireless' device I could find on Amazon.

It works perfectly, but I suspect there are two differences between the one I got and the slightly more expensive models.

The one I got is NOT Bluetooth. It use a proprietary wireless system. Fine in my case, since my machine doesn't have Bluetooth, but if I had to do it again, I'd probably prefer the standards-based one.

I see the more expensive ones contain a laser pointer. Nice if you are using the device to give presentations.
The one I got has a low intensity white LED flashlight.

Perhaps there is more than one Rii model. Some listings seemed to claim 'Bluetooth' and other just say 'wireless.'
Because the reviews and pictures are mixed around rather carelessly, it was hard for me to tell for sure what I was getting, but as I was shopping based on price and availability, I wasn't over concerned about working it out.

If I ever need another one, I'll probably spend the extra $10 or so and get the ProMini, which clearly specifies Bluetooth and laser pointer, just for the heck of it.

ApK
ApK

Postby TheEndless » Tue May 10, 2011 2:28 pm

ApK wrote:For anyone interested, I went ahead and got the least expensive Rii 'wireless' device I could find on Amazon.

It works perfectly, but I suspect there are two differences between the one I got and the slightly more expensive models.

The one I got is NOT Bluetooth. It use a proprietary wireless system. Fine in my case, since my machine doesn't have Bluetooth, but if I had to do it again, I'd probably prefer the standards-based one.

I see the more expensive ones contain a laser pointer. Nice if you are using the device to give presentations.
The one I got has a low intensity white LED flashlight.

Perhaps there is more than one Rii model. Some listings seemed to claim 'Bluetooth' and other just say 'wireless.'
Because the reviews and pictures are mixed around rather carelessly, it was hard for me to tell for sure what I was getting, but as I was shopping based on price and availability, I wasn't over concerned about working it out.

If I ever need another one, I'll probably spend the extra $10 or so and get the ProMini, which clearly specifies Bluetooth and laser pointer, just for the heck of it.

ApK

Thanks for the followup! I've been debating picking up one of the Riis ever since the original question was posed. The new Rii Touch looks intriguing too, but might be a little bigger than I'm looking for. Hrmmm...
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby ApK » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:27 am

Old thread, I know, but today, Deal Extreme (a company I have had good experiences with) is offer what they claim to be a Bluetooth with laser version of this thing at a really good price.
http://offers.dealextreme.com/team.php?id=37

No direct experience with that model, and I know DX's free shipping can take a long tme, but if I was still in the market, I'd order one.
If anyone tries it, be sure to post about t!
ApK
ApK

Postby mkiker2089 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:10 pm

Why would you want the laser pointer in the keyboard like that? It seems like one of those things they added just to have another line on the packaging. It's not like you could type and point at the same time with it. I'd rather have a laser in my other hand that I could aim and control.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby TheEndless » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:44 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:Why would you want the laser pointer in the keyboard like that? It seems like one of those things they added just to have another line on the packaging. It's not like you could type and point at the same time with it. I'd rather have a laser in my other hand that I could aim and control.

It's intended for presentations, so you don't have to stand by your laptop, I guess. I bought that one on Amazon originally because it had bluetooth, but found that the bluetooth was spotty at best, and the laser pointer didn't even work. It was also a bit awkward trying to type with the touchpad on the left. I returned it and got the Rii Touch (http://www.amazon.com/Superior-Wireless ... 520&sr=8-3) instead and have been very happy with it. The only real complain I have is that the button in the middle of the direction pad launches the web browser instead of acting as a "select". I've lost count of the number of browsers I've had to close in the background, because I forgot that...
TheEndless

Return to Off Topic