Ugh....Roku XD/S WIFI Isn't Working

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: Ugh....Roku XD/S WIFI Isn't Working

Postby kumasuki » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:42 pm

Tydog07 wrote:... putting my router into the same room as my TV, I'm thinking about doing that, I just am a little nervous about having to powerline my computer (going from 12MBPS to about 2.7MBPS...

Unless you're doing a lot of heavy video streaming and/or online gaming with the computer, 2.7mb bandwidth is plenty for average browser use.
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby Tydog07 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:47 pm

Well I'm going to try for the hardwire to the roku then, it will probably fix all my problems. What is the recommended speed for SD streaming?
Roku XD/S and XD, HDMI, Hulu Plus, Netflix, Samsung 46" 1080P, Comcast Hi-Speed, (2) Netgear Powerline XET1001, RCA 1650 Antenna
Tydog07

Postby Tydog07 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:42 pm

I didn't realize that I couldn't just move my Uverse Modem/Router to another room. I hear you have to call and order a tech to come out and install a new dedicated phone jack, how much does that run? Is there anyway I can adjust the RGBY wires in the phone jack to make it work?
Roku XD/S and XD, HDMI, Hulu Plus, Netflix, Samsung 46" 1080P, Comcast Hi-Speed, (2) Netgear Powerline XET1001, RCA 1650 Antenna
Tydog07

Postby kumasuki » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:48 pm

Tydog07 wrote:I didn't realize that I couldn't just move my Uverse Modem/Router to another room. I hear you have to call and order a tech to come out and install a new dedicated phone jack, how much does that run? Is there anyway I can adjust the RGBY wires in the phone jack to make it work?

Whats the make/model of the Uverse modem/router? Chances are it's just using CAT5 and you can string your own extension.
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby Tydog07 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:48 pm

3600HGV, I am looking into swapping wires out in the NID and the phone jack, do you know anything about that?
Tydog07

Postby renojim » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:56 pm

When my friend had Uverse, I'm pretty sure everything was connected via coax. They had information on their website about how the connections to the outside box worked (I believe they call it the "NID"). They use coax or Cat 5 depending on the circumstance.

-JT
renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Tydog07 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:39 pm

Well it is plugged into a phone jack so I don't see it being cat 5 cable (that's Ethernet stuff right?) and I haven't gotten any other responses from other forums yet, so I'm not too sure yet.
Tydog07

Postby kumasuki » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:28 pm

Tydog07 wrote:Well it is plugged into a phone jack so I don't see it being cat 5 cable (that's Ethernet stuff right?) and I haven't gotten any other responses from other forums yet, so I'm not too sure yet.

Does the back of your 2wire 3600 series gateway match this picture (scroll down to p.3)?? If so, on your device is there a cable connecting the port label "broadband" to something looking like a phone jack nearby?? That cable will be a length of CAT5(or possibly CAT6) - you can either replace it with another length as long as you need (even up to several hundred feet); or you can use a coupler and extend it with a longer segment of CAT5 to wherever you want to put the gateway device.
kumasuki

Postby Tydog07 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:41 pm

No, mine is connected to the port labeled phone jack/line. What does that mean?
Tydog07

Postby kumasuki » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:52 pm

Tydog07 wrote:No, mine is connected to the port labeled phone jack/line. What does that mean?

So the broadband port is empty? Is there anything screwed on to the connector labeled "cable line"?
Is your phone service and Internet with the same provider?? Do you live in an apartment complex or a private residence (not in a gated community)?
kumasuki

Postby Tydog07 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:23 am

I do not receive phone from ATT, there is a Phone Line coming into the modem and I live in a normal house, not gated or anything else like that. I do get 12MBPS from it though.
Last edited by Tydog07 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tydog07

Postby kumasuki » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:31 pm

Tydog07 wrote:I do not receive phone from ATT, there is coax cable coming into the modem and I live in a normal house, not gated or anything else like that. I do get 12MBPS from it though.

I'm not sure why anything is going into the phone line port on the modem/gateway if you're only getting Internet and not phone service. 12MB bandwidth is too high for regular DSL service (which maxes out at 8-9mb) that can be transmitted over regular phone wire. Coax on the other hand can easily support 12MB service - so the coax connection would appear to be the physical link to the NID. An easy test is to simply try temporarily disconnecting each: if the Internet is lost with the phoneline connected but not the coax, then coax is the link - and vice-versa if Internet is lost with coax connected but no phoneline.

If the link from the NID is coax (as I suspect) you can disconnect the coax from the modem and add another length of coax to it with a barrel connector. Alternatively, if there is already coax where you want to place the modem (perhaps coax connected to a nearby TV) then you can use a ($3) coax splitter to connect both the TV and the modem.

If 'phone' wire of some sort turns out to be connecting the NID to the modem - it may be that some newer method is available to accomplish this over short distances which supports 12MB (but it would be news to me). There are in-line connectors for phone cords - you could test this option without even moving the modem. Get an RJ11 inline coupler (like below - they're easy to find) and use a regular length of phone cord (any length) to extend the phone cord going into the modem. If the Internet connection is undisturbed (you should reboot the modem) then you can use as long an extension as you need. If the Internet is lost then something about original phone wire going into the modem is not 'typical' (or least can't be extended with regular phone wire). It may be that the original installer always connects phone wire whether needed or not in case the customer ever does subscribe to phone service it'll be available immediately.

RJ11 inline coupler:
kumasuki

Postby Tydog07 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:45 pm

While I appreciate your response, I am more than positive that the only cable going from my wall (not AC plug) to my modem is a phone line cable that is connected to the phone jack in the wall of my 1937 home. I would more than love to be able to just extend the cable, but I need to transfer the modem to a completely different room on a different floor.
Tydog07

Postby stratcat96 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:56 pm

Tydog07 wrote:While I appreciate your response, I am more than positive that the only cable going from my wall (not AC plug) to my modem is a phone line cable that is connected to the phone jack in the wall of my 1937 home. I would more than love to be able to just extend the cable, but I need to transfer the modem to a completely different room on a different floor.

If you do not have phone service but dsl from ATT, you have what's called a "dry loop" where ATT activates ONE jack in the house to transmit the dsl signal. In order to move the modem to another jack you'll have to call ATT and have them accomodate it on their end.
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Postby kumasuki » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:07 pm

There was an earlier reference to coax being present - but apparently that's not the case. I thought you were trying to save some bucks by relocating the modem without ATT coming out. Running additional phone wire is pretty easy to do - you just need to be sure that regular RJ11 wire is OK with 12mb service and I described one way to do that in my previous post.
kumasuki

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion