NO Sound with video help

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

NO Sound with video help

Postby xjamesvalentinx » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:34 am

not sure if im in the right place but i just bought the roku xds yesterday and i wanted to play movies i have mkv movies and i try to play it the video is great but no ound is coming through??? i even switch in setting the audio to 5.1??? please can someone help iu have tv sanyo 52 lcd inch with hdmi in which i have connected to the roku box...i have digital audio output on my tv does this help??? i was told from the support chat yesterday that this issue is being fix and will be fix within 24hrs??? is this true any updates???help thanks!!!!
xjamesvalentinx

Re: NO Sound with video help

Postby jeffrok » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:02 am

James,

Can you tell us your EXACT setup?

Do you have the Roku hooked up to the TV, and then the audio playing through the TV speakers, or are you playing it through a receiver?

For now, I'd try seeing if sound comes through HDMI to your TV's speakers, and then we can troubleshoot from there.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby stratcat96 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:23 am

xjamesvalentinx wrote:not sure if im in the right place but i just bought the roku xds yesterday and i wanted to play movies i have mkv movies and i try to play it the video is great but no ound is coming through??? i even switch in setting the audio to 5.1??? please can someone help iu have tv sanyo 52 lcd inch with hdmi in which i have connected to the roku box...i have digital audio output on my tv does this help??? i was told from the support chat yesterday that this issue is being fix and will be fix within 24hrs??? is this true any updates???help thanks!!!!

The audio encoding of your mkv files is not the the way Roku likes them. I assume that audio comes through on other channels, i.e. Netflix, etc.?
stratcat96

Postby xjamesvalentinx » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:48 am

i have the roku plug in to power outlet and hdmi to my lcd tv 52 inch hdmi port...audio i have no plug in i thought the audio would work fine with my lcd screen coming off the speakers off the tv??? the mkv videos are dts and some are dd audio with it....
xjamesvalentinx

Postby stratcat96 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:54 am

xjamesvalentinx wrote:i have the roku plug in to power outlet and hdmi to my lcd tv 52 inch hdmi port...audio i have no plug in i thought the audio would work fine with my lcd screen coming off the speakers off the tv??? the mkv videos are dts and some are dd audio with it....

again, do you have audio from anything else and are you just not getting it from your mkv's? If you are getting it from everything else (other channels on the Roku, systems sounds from the Roku) the audio encoding of your mkvs are the problem.
stratcat96

Postby jeffrok » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:23 pm

See this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=36754

It has some info on MKV encoding. I'm no pro at encoding, but there is some pretty good discussion in there.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok

Postby stratcat96 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:53 pm

xjamesvalentinx wrote:i have the roku plug in to power outlet and hdmi to my lcd tv 52 inch hdmi port...audio i have no plug in i thought the audio would work fine with my lcd screen coming off the speakers off the tv??? the mkv videos are dts and some are dd audio with it....

it's the dts audio... To get sound from that you'll either have to use the optical cable from the Roku to a receiver, or remix the audio to an analog stereo format.
stratcat96

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion