Credit Card required AFTER purchase?

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: Credit Card required AFTER purchase?

Postby Brotha » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:54 am

kbenson wrote:
zarwin wrote: Holding my new box hostage for a credit card...

That's a bit much, isn't it? Just contact support and they'll bypass the requirement for you.

Want to ding them in the rating for how annoying that makes the setup? Go ahead, but anyone who really objects to the CC requirement should consider their first stop to register a complaint or fix the problem would be customer service. If you didn't contact support about it, you obviously didn't care enough at the time to let them know.

nobody should have to contact support. nobody should have to create temporary cards or use paypal. it's a poorly thought out requirement.
Roku XD│S, D-Link Boxee Box HD, Channel Master CM-7000PAL Antenna HD DVR, RadioShack Amplified HDTV Antenna, RCA VH915 4 X 1 S-Video Switcher, Actiontec GS503AD3B-01 DSL Modem & 4 Port Ethernet Router, HDMI to Composite S-video Adapter.
Brotha

Postby Gilgamesh » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:31 am

stratcat96 wrote:What's up with all the dead threads being resurrected lately?

Maybe people are actually using the search feature and finding threads that they have interest in.
Gilgamesh

Postby kc8pql » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:01 am

Gilgamesh wrote:Maybe people are actually using the search feature and finding threads that they have interest in.

...which would be a nice change of pace... :wink:
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby kbenson » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:09 am

Brotha wrote:
kbenson wrote:
zarwin wrote: Holding my new box hostage for a credit card...

That's a bit much, isn't it? Just contact support and they'll bypass the requirement for you.

Want to ding them in the rating for how annoying that makes the setup? Go ahead, but anyone who really objects to the CC requirement should consider their first stop to register a complaint or fix the problem would be customer service. If you didn't contact support about it, you obviously didn't care enough at the time to let them know.

nobody should have to contact support. nobody should have to create temporary cards or use paypal. it's a poorly thought out requirement.

That's right, nobody should have to contact support. If enough people do contact support because they are upset about it, maybe Roku will decide to change their policies a bit. I suspect most people don't contact support, because at the end of the day most people don't care that much about this. On the other hand, if someone is going to go so far as to characterize their box as being held hostage, my response will be "Just call support (and stop whining. You are just trying to make a scene where rational discourse is better used)."
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
kbenson

Postby dougb » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:15 pm

http://support.roku.com/entries/267500- ... ku-at-home

What do I need to enjoy Roku at home?

Roku Support
posted this on Sep-22 2010 00:48

Chances are you probably already have everything you need, including a:
• TV
• High-speed Internet connection—Roku recommends using either a wired or wireless router
• Computer to activate your Roku player and link channels
• Few minutes to set it up

That’s it!

Perhaps they should add to that "Paypal Account or Debit/Credit Card on file with us"

Will be contacting support tomorrow.
dougb

Postby bowserb » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:11 am

Count me in for the "I'm mad as <The entropy of a perfect crystal, at absolute zero kelvin, is exactly equal to zero. - Third Law of Thermodynamics> and not going to take it anymore!" group. I just bought the XD model from amazon.com. It would have been my third streaming box, with my others being a Blu-Ray player with built in streaming, and a Vizio TV with built in streaming. Both configured with no problem, as did the first part of the Roku XD box configuration. And then...

I will shortly return this unit to Amazon. In order to use it, I find I must give roku.com my name, address and CREDIT CARD. I can find no reference to this in the advertising or product descriptions. Indeed, had I known, I would not have bought it. Netflix has my credit card. Amazon has my credit card. I have no need to purchase anything from Roku, yet if I don't give them a credit card, the unit will not be activated. Sony did not ask for a credit card, nor did Vizio.

I have had an attempted identity theft, and on another occasion my credit card number has been stolen. I'm therefore a little hesitant to give personal information to just anyone, especially someone who doesn't even need it! After I return this device, and before I buy the Apple TV box, I'll find out about their requirements. For me, this is a deal breaker.

In another post, someone made the analogy to going around town giving your credit card to every store and restaurant, just in case you decided to make a purchase. Perfect. This roku requirement is no less outrageous. The credit card requirement should be in their product descriptions!
bowserb

Postby kbenson » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:57 am

Just so you know, in case you didn't read earlier posts in the thread, you can call support and have them bypass the CC requirement. Or you can give them a card and go in afterwards and remove it (there's a link at the bottom of the page to update the card info). They require you have a card to sign up, but they don't require you have a card to use the device afterwards.
-- GandK Labs
kbenson

Postby gonzotek » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:06 am

kbenson wrote:They require you have a card to sign up, but they don't require you have a card to use the device afterwards.
Slight correction: They require a card OR Paypal account to sign up online.
:)
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
gonzotek

Postby kbenson » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:18 pm

gonzotek wrote:
kbenson wrote:They require you have a card to sign up, but they don't require you have a card to use the device afterwards.

Ah, thanks. Haven't had to go through the process when first setting up myself, so went off what others had been saying for that part.
-- GandK Labs
kbenson

Postby gonzotek » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:31 pm

kbenson wrote:
gonzotek wrote:

Ah, thanks. Haven't had to go through the process when first setting up myself, so went off what others had been saying for that part.
I thought I understood it to be PayPal as well, but wasn't sure, so I logged out and started the process of signing up for a new account, just to see what it was like. I still am of the opinion that it's a turn off to be *forced* to add the card/PP account during the online signup process. I understand why Roku wants it that way, but why not strongly encourage people to add the payment option and still offer an opt-out process that doesn't require a call to CS? Anywho, now I'm preaching to the choir ;-)
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
gonzotek

Postby gnonny11 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:28 pm

While I agree that providing CC or Paypal information should be opt-in or opt-out and not a requirement, I personally see no real harm in letting Roku have that information of file. I seriously doubt that Roku will ever put such information it has on file to any sort of unethical use. I don't go about all willy-nilly, giving either my cc, banking, or Paypal information to just anyone out there, but when it comes to an established company like Roku, I personally don't think it's a big deal.

However, just to see how simple it might be, I went and removed my payment method from my Roku account. And away it went, just like that, simple indeed. If ever I should need to re-add it, I'm confident that will be just as simple a process as initially adding it (or subsequently removing it) has already proven to have been.
Setup: Roku HD (2000C)/ Netgear WNR1000v2-VC router/ Ubee D3.0 modem/ Wired ethernet / Sanyo DS20424 20 in. flat screen SD tv / R/Y/W RCA cable
gnonny11

Postby bowserb » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:39 pm

gnonny11 wrote:While I agree that providing CC or Paypal information should be opt-in or opt-out and not a requirement, I personally see no real harm in letting Roku have that information of file. I seriously doubt that Roku will ever put such information it has on file to any sort of unethical use. I don't go about all willy-nilly, giving either my cc, banking, or Paypal information to just anyone out there, but when it comes to an established company like Roku, I personally don't think it's a big deal.

You see no real harm??? So, how are things there in Utopia, USA? Get in touch with reality, man! Established companies get hacked or have disgruntled employees every day. Every day. Chase was hacked. Citybank. And on and on. Gexa Energy, my FORMER electric provider had their entire customer database stolen by criminal employees, who proceeded to open accounts, change cc addresses, spend money...and, by the way, the company did NOTHING to help their customers. You only want to give your cc number when you must do so.

My Roku problem was resolved by calling technical support, who assisted me in getting a no-cc account opened. It shouldn't be that much trouble. The CC should be optional, and then there is no problem. My Roku is working fine now, but I still will caution potential customers to be aware of this bad policy.
bowserb

Postby gnonny11 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:11 pm

bowserb, sure, bad things can happen anytime a company has such information on file, but that is the exception, not the rule. I like to think I'm using common sense without worrying myself over something that might (but most likely won't) happen.

Among businesses or utilities that have either my cc or PayPal information on file, I have never had a problem.
Could it happen? Sure. Will it happen? From where I'm sitting here in Reality, USA (thank you very much), I'm betting that it won't.

We each have our own levels of what's tolerable to us personally when it comes to stuff like this. I don't have a problem with your way; my way's just different from yours. It in no way means I'm naive....or that you're being too cautious. I'm cool with whatever gives someone ease of mind. /
Setup: Roku HD (2000C)/ Netgear WNR1000v2-VC router/ Ubee D3.0 modem/ Wired ethernet / Sanyo DS20424 20 in. flat screen SD tv / R/Y/W RCA cable
gnonny11

Postby bowserb » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:18 am

One can choose to not lock one's front door, not have fire insurance, and not wear a seatbelt (or helmet if you ride a motorcycle). Probability says you'll never be burglarized, have a house fire, or get into a major auto/cycle accident--although the more of those low-probability things you stack together, the more likely it is than one of them will find you. In this world, you hope for the best and plan for the worst. Yes, you can take the latter to extremes, but I don't consider refusing to give my credit card to someone who doesn't need it, extreme.

In any case, Roku tech support has resolved my issue by setting up the account without a credit card. Had they not, I was ready to return the unit to Amazon. I wonder how much it costs Roku in additional tech support personnel and returned Roku boxes, just for not making the credit card optional. A simple explanation on an OPTIONAL credit card page of the activation procedure would allow those who want to give a credit card "just in case" to do so. Those who don't can just go on and activate the product they paid for already without spending a bunch of time on the phone with tech support in India...friendly and helpful tech support, but still an unnecessary waste of resources.
bowserb

Postby gnonny11 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:32 am

Dude, fine, whatever. I'm just glad that tech support was able to help you resolve the issue, and I hope you can now fully enjoy the use of your Roku box. I know I am mine!
gnonny11

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion