Multiple TVs vs Hulu plus and Roku ?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Multiple TVs vs Hulu plus and Roku ?

Postby kanuck » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:24 am

Thinking on taking the plunge with Roku and getting rid of cable.

Wondering what exactly I need to make this setup work:

- I have two separate TVs in the house (living room and basement).
- Living room have ethernet connection availability
- basement has wifi
- I would like to have Hulu plus on both TVs and watch different programs

Do I need two Rokus ? Two Hulu plus subscriptions ?

Thanks
for the advice.
kanuck

Re: Multiple TVs vs Hulu plus and Roku ?

Postby martyb6 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:54 am

I have this very same question, however I have 13 TV's (yes, really) in my home. I want to ditch Dish, but wonder if multiple service subscriptions are necessary. Buying 13 Roku's is not a problem, I spend that much each year on Dish.
martyb6

Postby jcmolet » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:03 pm

kanuck wrote:Thinking on taking the plunge with Roku and getting rid of cable.

Wondering what exactly I need to make this setup work:

- I have two separate TVs in the house (living room and basement).
- Living room have ethernet connection availability
- basement has wifi
- I would like to have Hulu plus on both TVs and watch different programs

Do I need two Rokus ? Two Hulu plus subscriptions ?

Thanks
for the advice.

You would need two Roku players with one Roku account and one Hulu Plus account. Most changes (e.g. adding/removing channels) you make on one Roku player or your Roku account will be applied to both Roku players. Also, the nice thing with channels like Netflix, Amazon VoD and Hulu Plus is that information is shared between devices. In other words, whatever programs you add to your Hulu Plus Queue will be present on both devices; or you can watch part of a Hulu Plus program on one TV/Roku player and resume from the same point on your second TV/Roku player.
jcmolet

Postby kanuck » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:17 pm

Will I be able to view two separate programs at the same time on my two Roku players with a Hulus Plus account or Netflix ?
kanuck

Postby jhernes » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:22 pm

absolutely...
ROKU MODEL: N1000 - Decommissioned, HD 2000C-00 - Decommissioned, XS 3100R - Visio 50, R3 4200R - Samsung LN55
jhernes

Postby SuetyStanes » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:34 am

kanuck wrote:Will I be able to view two separate programs at the same time on my two Roku players with a Hulus Plus account or Netflix ?

Hmm, that depends on exactly what you're asking here.

Netflix will allow you to stream more than one show simultaneously on differnt devices. Hulu+ only allows one stream at a time per subscription.

Of course, you can mix and match what shows you want as much as you want, as long as you don't have more than one Hulu+ stream going at the same time. You'll get an error message if you try, so you'll know why you're being denied access to Hulu+.
SuetyStanes

Postby scyber » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:59 am

If you need/want more than 2 simultaneous netflix streams you will need to pay for one of the higher disc plans. The 3 disc plan will get your 3 simultaneous streams, and the 4+ disc plans are all capped at 4 simultaneous streams according to the netflix faq:

http://www.netflix.com/Help?action=2&js ... multaneous
Q:
Can I watch movies instantly on more than one PC or Netflix-ready device?
A:
Some membership plans allow you to watch simultaneously on more than one personal computer or Netflix-ready device. If you are on the Watch Instantly Unlimited plan or the 1-disc-out-at-a-time plan, you may watch only one device at a time. If you are on the 2-discs-out-at-a-time plan, you may watch on up to two devices at a time. Members on the 3-disc plan can watch on up to three devices. The maximum is four devices -- available for members on the 4-or-greater-discs-out-at-a-time plan.
Your account can have up to six unique authorized devices activated (and associated with it) at any given time, including personal computers and Netflix-ready devices. For example, if you're on the 1-disc plan, you can have up to six devices associated with your account, but you can only watch one of them at a time. If you're on the 2-disc plan, you can have up to six devices activated but can only watch two of them at the same time.

Note that although the FAQ states only one stream for the one disc plan, Netflix has allowed 2 streams for a number of years now. I have never found anything official about the streaming only netflix plan, but the assumption is that it functions just like the 1-disc plan in regards to simultaneous streams.
scyber

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion