Netflix: content unavailable

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Netflix: content unavailable

Postby otis151 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:24 am

A recent development...lately when I access Netflix it will "retrieve" forever, then come up with "content unavailable"on the episode guide to the particular program or movie I want to watch. This happening now about 50% of the time. Usually I exit Netflix, re-enter and re-select my program. This usually works, but it is a pain in the butt.

Anyone else experiencing this? I understand new technologies and servers...just wondering if anyone else has had this issue.
otis151

Re: Netflix: content unavailable

Postby timeasterday » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:28 am

It has happened to me a lot too. It also happens on my Sony Netbox in another room, so it looks like a Netflix issue.
timeasterday

Postby robertm » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:51 am

NF has been buggy for a couple of months now. It skips over TV episodes between sessions, when you try to quickly move through the queue it bounces back in the wrong direction, it forgets where you are in the queue between sessions, For several weeks the newly combined Psych was frozen in place at the end of my queue (it wouldn't reorder and new things would appear before it), and the more often queue connection errors.

No big deals but it has been a hassle.
robertm

Postby A.J. » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:24 am

robertm wrote:No big deal but it has been a hassle.

+1 to that. I clicked on one of the TV series (Gunsmoke) last night and, after a long wait, got the "Unavailable". I tried another (Married With Children), which I had watched the first 14 episodes earlier. It took probably 3 or 4 minutes to get to the episode to watch next. However, it was episode #11. I clicked on choose another episode and scrolled to #15 and watched it. When that show ended and it jumped back to the episode menu, I watched as the episode number changed from #15 to #8 (it should have incremented up to #16).

Hopefully, Netflix is frantically working on a fix! No biggie so far for me but, with 20 million subscribers this is bound to really piss off somebody!

A.J.
A.J.

Postby Gilgamesh » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:37 am

This may be some kind of regional, isp, or particular Netflix server issue as I have had absolutely no problem with Netflix and I watch it a lot.

These kind of issues crop up from time to time and seem to go away after a while.
Gilgamesh

Postby techmonkey » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:43 am

Same thing here recently. With TV series episodes will not always go to the next but I have noticed if something comes up "content unavailable" that if I try again it usually plays.
1 ROKU HD-XR 2 ROKU XDS's
techmonkey

Postby robertm » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:10 am

Gilgamesh wrote:This may be some kind of regional, isp, or particular Netflix server issue as I have had absolutely no problem with Netflix and I watch it a lot.

These kind of issues crop up from time to time and seem to go away after a while.

You live about 40 miles from me. I guess we could still be going to different distribution locations even that close.
robertm

Postby Gilgamesh » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:25 am

robertm wrote:You live about 40 miles from me. I guess we could still be going to different distribution locations even that close.

Yes. It has as much to do with the DNS server and ISP as anything else. Just for info I use:
216.230.112.42 as my primary DNS and I have Charter as my ISP.
Gilgamesh

Postby Randman » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:10 pm

I just started getting this tonight. It does not happen with all of the things in my queue, but a few of them. And I know the content IS available because when I log into Netflix from my laptop, the show I'm trying to watch comes right up. Tried power-cycling/rebooting Roku, and it does not help. Yikes, I was about to purchase another Roku box - going to wait and see if this is a prevailing problem, may have to look at alternatives.
Randman

Postby hankstash » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:31 pm

This has been happening to me since last night. First, it was with Law and Order: CI. And tonight, it was joined by Midsomer Murders. As far as I can tell everything else works fine because other shows went straight to the next episode. I'm using Roku 1 XD. Never had this problem before last night or tonight.
hankstash

Postby RokuShawnS » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:51 am

hankstash wrote:This has been happening to me since last night. First, it was with Law and Order: CI. And tonight, it was joined by Midsomer Murders. As far as I can tell everything else works fine because other shows went straight to the next episode. I'm using Roku 1 XD. Never had this problem before last night or tonight.

Netflix, I think, is going through another API change, which might account for some of these issues. If you're patient, this should resolve itself in a few days.

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby mapguy42 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:18 am

Just to confirm you are not insane, two days go I got the same thing, also with Law and Order: CI, and Sesame Street, too. And if you have kids, I don't need to tell you what a problem that is!
mapguy42

Postby microlady » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:12 am

Same subject matter in the following topic: See my post there.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=52585
Original Roku 1, called N1000,bought 2008 (2014 still works perfectly)
2014 new owner of Roku 3500 (HDMI) streaming stick
microlady

Postby microlady » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:38 am

Looks like Netflix did get my complaint....I was able to watch Law & Order: Criminal Intent
last night just fine. Hope it is working for all who had a problem.
Original Roku 1, called N1000,bought 2008 (2014 still works perfectly)
2014 new owner of Roku 3500 (HDMI) streaming stick
microlady

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion