Netflix and multiple roku players in the same house....

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Netflix and multiple roku players in the same house....

Postby sleeper43 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:48 pm

Does it work? Is it against Netflix TOS? Here is an example of what I am hoping I can do, with one netflix subscription (no way do I want to pay multiple netflix bills).

I am in the living room of my home watching Ghost Rider on roku via netflix.

My son is in his bedroom watching Shrek on roku via the same netflix account.

My wife is in the kitchen cooking, she is watching Beverly Hills 90210 on roku also via the same netflix account.

Is this possible? Can it be done?
sleeper43

Re: Netflix and multiple roku players in the same house....

Postby DeftOne » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:57 pm

You are technically only allowed to watch the same number of concurrent streams as the number of discs you have in your plan (1 disc = 1 stream, 2 discs = 2 streams, etc. up to 4 streams).

From the Netflix FAQ:
Some membership plans allow you to watch simultaneously on more than one personal computer or Netflix-ready device. If you are on the Watch Instantly Unlimited plan or the 1-disc-out-at-a-time plan, you may watch only one device at a time. If you are on the 2-discs-out-at-a-time plan, you may watch on up to two devices at a time. Members on the 3-disc plan can watch on up to three devices. The maximum is four devices -- available for members on the 4-or-greater-discs-out-at-a-time plan.
Your account can have up to six unique authorized devices activated (and associated with it) at any given time, including personal computers and Netflix-ready devices. For example, if you're on the 1-disc plan, you can have up to six devices associated with your account, but you can only watch one of them at a time. If you're on the 2-disc plan, you can have up to six devices activated but can only watch two of them at the same time.

Also, you would need a fairly substantial internet connection to have that many streams going concurrently.

Oh, and I thought I would also mention that none of the titles you used in your example are actually currently available on Netflix Watch Instantly. :wink:
Roku2 XS (13A166000325) HDMI to LG 42" LCD 1080p (42LH30)
Roku LT (16A181002342)
Roku XDS (K0A073000137)
Roku HD (20F946002749)
DLINK DIR-615 (all Rokus wireless)
12 Mbps
DeftOne

Postby jp1 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:00 pm

I've had two concurrent streams on both the 1 disc and streaming only plans without issue. I think the faq may be outdated.
jp1

Postby sleeper43 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:25 pm

thanks for the quick replies, I am learning lol.
sleeper43

Postby sleeper43 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:55 pm

I think the above is outdated too, I pulled the following directly from the Netflix site, from the my account page, while signed in by clicking activate device under the streaming section.

You may watch instantly on up to 6 unique devices:
Including personal computers and Netflix ready devices. You may also use this page to manually de-register devices you no longer wish to use for watching instantly. A deactivated device can be reactivated later if you wish to resume using it.
sleeper43

Postby mikebdoss » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:16 pm

I have two Rokus, and the "one disk at a time" plan - never an issue watching two shows at the same time.
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Postby mommom » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:43 pm

I have 2 Rokus and multiple pcs,most weekends at least 3 shows streaming at a time.Only have the 1 disc at a time plan.And we only have 6 mbps internet.
mommom

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion