YouTube

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: YouTube

Postby artis9278 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:17 pm

guys, i just got my roku the other day & immediately added the youtube private channel (B8VVK). Everything works up to searching videos.
But when i play, it will just retrieve for a second & then goes back to the previous window. Have tried to remove & add back the channel, reboot roku, reboot router, etc but to no avail. please help...
artis9278

Postby chris0071 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:31 pm

artis9278 wrote:guys, i just got my roku the other day & immediately added the youtube private channel (B8VVK). Everything works up to searching videos.
But when i play, it will just retrieve for a second & then goes back to the previous window. Have tried to remove & add back the channel, reboot roku, reboot router, etc but to no avail. please help...

Which videos?

There are some videos that are not in a Roku compatable format, so nothing will make them play. CNN once upon a time changed their video formay, and I don't know if they ever changed back.
chris0071

Postby japzone » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:57 am

artis9278 wrote:guys, i just got my roku the other day & immediately added the youtube private channel (B8VVK). Everything works up to searching videos.

Just to make sure it's not a Problem on your End I suggest finding a different Video that you know doesn't have any Partner Protection (Meaning Video has Ads and other things when viewed on Youtube.com) and will Play on your Phone with Youtube App. If even that Video doesn't work come back ask for more help.
japzone

Postby artis9278 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:27 am

japzone wrote:

Just to make sure it's not a Problem on your End I suggest finding a different Video that you know doesn't have any Partner Protection (Meaning Video has Ads and other things when viewed on Youtube.com) and will Play on your Phone with Youtube App. If even that Video doesn't work come back ask for more help.

have tried several videos that can play on my iphone (using Youtube app) but still unable to "retrieve" in YouTube channel in Roku. Still getting "kicked out" from the "retreiving" window back to the previous window. Searching is no problem... i can see the video list... but unable to "retrieve" & play =(
artis9278

Postby krisbee » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:57 am

Is there a way to get subscriptions on Roku without actually sharing any info with others?

Why not just make another account if you don't want it cluttering up your main youtube account :?
krisbee

Postby pnsrao » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:07 pm

Something that I would like for the Youtube channel:
* an option in the Youtube channel "settings" that forces the video to play at the highest quality available ...
* or an option that forces it to play at a particular quality level (720p, for example) and if not available, play it at the best available quality.

Basically I noticed that the Youtube based 1080p showcase channel, forces 1080p quality for the available videos. I don't have to meddle with the Roku bit rate settings. Most of the time, it plays OK with some tolerable rebuffering at times.

On the other hand, the Youtube channel (I guess it relies on the default "bit rate" sensing algorithm of Youtube) always plays the videos at much lower quality. Even on my computer, I see that Youtube's automatic rate sensing algorithm is very conservative and I usually have to manually upgrade the video to HQ.
So it would be good if the channel could provide an option to override the default rate sensing and use the highest quality available.

Like I mentioned above, I don't want to change the Roku bit rate globally ... don't want all channels to be affected. Just need this for Youtube.
Unsure if this channel is still being updated but thought that I'd make a request anyway.
pnsrao

Postby KennyJ » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:03 am

I saw on YouTube's blog that they are launching a more dedicated live "space" on their site:

http://www.youtube.com/live

This is pretty cool. It'd be awesome if this could be integrated into the YouTube channel, it'd be awesome.
KennyJ

Postby CLMoses » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:07 pm

It would be great to see the Roku YouTube Channel updated to include the ability to easily take advantage of all the new YouTube Live offerings. In the meantime, just click on available content and subscribe to that channel.
CLMoses

Postby efganonymous » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:27 am

http://support.roku.com/entries/267177- ... oku-player

PLEASE NOTE:
At the request of YouTube, this private channel is no longer available on Roku. To remove the channel, please go to “My Channels” in the Channel Store.
Due to the above, the private code link below has been disabled.

Workarounds?
efganonymous

Postby kc8pql » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:34 am

This was the workaround.
OTA Antenna
"Netflix Player" N1000X
XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X
Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby gfatcatd » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:58 pm

B8VVK doesn't work :(

Is there any other workaround?
gfatcatd

Postby stratcat96 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:41 pm

whew you guys scared me! Youtube is still working ;)
stratcat96

Postby kc8pql » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:44 pm

stratcat96 wrote:whew you guys scared me! Youtube is still working ;)

Just don't remove it if you already have it...
You won't be able to get it back.
OTA Antenna
"Netflix Player" N1000X
XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X
Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby krisbee » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:49 pm

Is there a way to copy it from our Rokus for safe keeping?
krisbee

Postby stratcat96 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:08 pm

if the Youtube private channel's demise is imminent, does this mean that an official option might be forthcoming?
stratcat96

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion