German News/tagesschau Channel

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: German News Channel - Beta Testing

Postby henningSaul » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:43 pm

Hi Hermann,

thanks for your post and I'm glad to hear that you like the channel.

I'm consistently getting 3 dots/1mbps over my wireless network at home.
I have not heard of any other issues regarding the stream quality/bandwidth before,
so I would assume it has something to do with your home network setup.
Maybe you can try connecting via Ethernet just to see whether that makes a difference.
You can also enable DEBUG info by pressing 5xHome, 3xRew, 2xFF which will display information about network and stream quality.

Hope this helps & enjoy the good old tagesschau
--Henning
henningSaul

Postby henningSaul » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:55 pm

Hi theoldguy,

thanks for your feedback and great to hear that you like the channel.

>There are a couple of other European TV stations that I would like to tune into via Roku.
>If I produced the urls would a channel connection be possible?

IMHO, it comes down to 2 questions:
1. Are the videos encoded in a format supported by Roku (see EncodingGuide that's included with the SDK)?
2. What are the options for "content discovery": RSS, XML, JSON, etc?
You could "scrape" video-links out of the HTML but this is pretty cumbersome and fragile.

Fortunately tagesschau provides a JSON-API, for example for the "Dossier" Videos I'm parsing http://www.tagesschau.de/api/multimedia ... er100.json.

Unfortunately my spare time is somewhat limited these days and I won't have time for developing any other channels,
but I hope this provides some background information.

Cheers
--Henning
henningSaul

Postby OpaBob » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:13 am

ARD clips are coming through fine. Thanks for providing this great channel!
OpaBob

Postby henningSaul » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:10 pm

Hi all,

I just released an updated version of the tagesschau Channel for beta testing.
The channel now also offers other broadcasts from ARD-aktuell including tagesthemen, nachtmagazin, wochenspiegel and bericht aus berlin.

You can install the updated version via https://owner.roku.com/add/E9FJH.
You will need to enter and exit the Channel Store on your Roku box for the channel to show up.

Enjoy & any feedback is appreciated
--Henning
henningSaul

Postby Astrid Julian » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:16 am

Hi Henning,

Love the ARD app. I particularly like the new additions to Alle Sendungen...Wochenspiegel and so on.

The Dossier and Archiv films are the perfect length for me to show my German class to initiate discussion.

Everything was working fine till this weekend. Now the Dossier, Archive and Impressum all pop me out of the Tagesschau App back into My Channels.

Thanks so much for developing the app. I should have emailed my thanks sooner, but I was too busy improving my German out here on the wild wintry shore of Lake Erie.

Astrid
Astrid Julian

Postby frostlich » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:06 pm

I was watching Tageschau via Mediafly for the past 6 months roughly. However, I really appreciate you making this it's own channel, and the video quality we've experienced has been second to none. We love it and would REALLY like to see some other offerings from RTL - 'Bauer sucht Frau', ARD, etc.

Keep up the great work. I'll try to post if I stumble across any offerings that may be feasible on the Roku (I'm not technically proficient in this area.)
frostlich

Postby frostlich » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:53 pm

In a related note....has anyone tried the 'Bong.tv' service?

Nooo..it's not drug related, but it looks like a real nice alternative for those looking for european/german tv content. I stumbled across it on the Mediafly channel. Yes, some of the content you can watch via mediafly for free, but most of the streams I've found are not working (I assume those are somebody else's recordings.) If I opened an account with them, it may function better.

It appears to be an online recording service, with 1 week free and at 5 euro a month it looks like an ideal service for those of us in the US. Not sure how well a paid subscription will interface with Roku besides Mediafly, but it looks like a real opportunity for Roku users! When I decide to try it, I'll post back.

http://www.bong.tv/#/home
frostlich

Postby henningSaul » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:25 pm

Hi Astrid,

thanks a lot for your post and great to hear that you like the tagesschau channel.

The "Alle Sendungen" and the extended archive feature got published last Thursday.
Unfortunately that release also contained a bug that causes the behavior you are describing.

An updated release that should address the issue has been published today.
All you need to do is enter the Channel Store and exit it, and you should get the new version.

Hope this fixes your problem & keep enjoying the tagesschau
--Henning
henningSaul

Postby hbaer » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:10 pm

Hi Henning -

DAnke fuer den debugging tip. Scheint wirklich auf meiner Seite zu liegen ... die Durchsatzrate faellt aus unerklaerlichen gruenden ab .. anyhow, will play a bit with it .. and THANKS again for that channel .. da kriegt man wenigstens gescheite Nachrichten hier in den USA .. ;-)

Cheers,
-- Hermann
hbaer

Postby schmike » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:10 am

henningSaul wrote:Good news, it got officially published to the Channel Store by Roku today :)

Great job, Henning, really appreciate the work. Hey, do you mind sharing how you did the integration? From reading the Roku developer documentation, this involves coding in "BrightScript", can you explain how this works?

I presume the code just refers to the original stream and has the Roku render the selectable channel items. I hear BrightScript can be quite confusing and hard to debug, would be great if you could share your experience here.

Thanks again, you're da man!
schmike

Postby henningSaul » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:53 pm

Hi schmike,

thanks a lot for your feedback.

I think creating a Roku channel is actually pretty straight forward and I would suggest you check out the documents that are part of the developer SDK (in particular the BrightScript and Component Reference). The SDK download also contains simple examples in Brightscript for the most common functionality that I found really helpful. Developing and debugging your code can indeed be a PITA, as you will need to deploy it to your Roku box for testing/debugging.

For the tagesschau Channel I've been using tagesschau's JSON "API" for content discovery. Parsing that JSON input was a bit painful, as there's no built in support for JSON in the Roku SDK. Either way, all my code for the tagesschau Channel is publicly available at https://github.com/henningSaul/tagesschau-on-roku (start with source/Main.brs).

Hope this helps & good luck with your first channel ;)

--Henning
henningSaul

Postby schmike » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:27 am

henningSaul wrote: Either way, all my code for the tagesschau Channel is publicly available at https://github.com/henningSaul/tagesschau-on-roku (start with source/Main.brs).

Outstanding, I'll check it out tonight, thanks much!
schmike

Postby cboekholt » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:44 pm

Hallo Henning,
ich habe versucht, den genannten Roku Code einzugeben (E9FJH).
Dieser hat aber leider nicht funktioniert. (Fehlermeldung: "The channel code provided is not associated with a valid channel."
Auch der mir vom Roku Online Support genannte Code (K8BVY) hat nicht funktioniert.
Kannst Du mir vielleicht den aktuell gueltigen Code nennen?
Viele Gruesse aus Washington, Carsten
cboekholt

Postby henningSaul » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:32 pm

Hallo Carsten,

die Codes sind wahrscheinlich von frueheren Versionen.

Der Channel ist mittlerweile publiziert und ueber den Channel Store der Roku Box direkt zu installieren (Category International) oder auch per "Vanity Access Code" per Computer: https://owner.roku.com/add/tagesschau
Hope this helps.

Viel Spass und Gruesse aus Alexandria, VA
--Henning
henningSaul

Postby pierrick » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:06 pm

"Play all" would be a nice feature
pierrick

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion