No TV. How connect Roku HD to wireless laptop

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

No TV. How connect Roku HD to wireless laptop

Postby hellosandiego » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:35 pm

I have a television that is NOT connected to TV cable service (I watch TV for free through free broadcast signal). In order to watch Instant Netflix films, I use my HP laptop with a wireless connection to my Cox Cable computer service in San Diego. I have no idea how to connecst my Roku HD to my laptop, so that I can watch Netflix movies on my laptop. I am not a computer geek---I'm a senior citizen who is trying to keep up with technology (without spending very much money because I am on a fixed income). Can someone help me? Please. I need a step by step guide that provides more help than the Roku "installation manual".
hellosandiego

Re: No TV. How connect Roku HD to wireless laptop

Postby matt47 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:48 pm

Netflix has a website that you can watch instantly from. There is no need to hook a roku up to a computer. Everything on a roku you can already get directly on a computer.
matt47

Postby hellosandiego » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:06 pm

I thought that ROKU HD would improve (speed up) the almost constant interruptions to the streaming movies from Netflix. Because of the interruptions, I must wait and wait and wait for the movie to continue running. A movie lasting 90 minutes in a movie theater requires me to watch Netflix for approximately 120 to 165 minutes. Is there any possible way to overcome this problem? Is there some way I could connect my laptop to my television (with various cables that accompanied my Roku HD) that would make it possible for me to avoid the long, long delays that occur with the Netflix wireless movies?
hellosandiego

Postby kc8pql » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:49 pm

The reloading problems you are having on your laptop may not be any better on the Roku. That sort of problem is often caused by slow internet service. Do you have broadband? Do you know what the speed of the service you are paying for is?

(By the way, I'm 60. Not everyone here is a teenager. :wink: )
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby KennyJ » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:01 pm

hellosandiego wrote:I thought that ROKU HD would improve (speed up) the almost constant interruptions to the streaming movies from Netflix. Because of the interruptions, I must wait and wait and wait for the movie to continue running. A movie lasting 90 minutes in a movie theater requires me to watch Netflix for approximately 120 to 165 minutes. Is there any possible way to overcome this problem? Is there some way I could connect my laptop to my television (with various cables that accompanied my Roku HD) that would make it possible for me to avoid the long, long delays that occur with the Netflix wireless movies?

How fast is your internet? The only thing I can see the Roku helping with is if the issues you're having have to do with old, slow hardware. But it sounds like you might be fighting a internet or network bottleneck instead.
KennyJ

Postby jeffrok » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:32 pm

By the way, the Roku does not connect to a computer- rather, it connects to the internet much like your laptop does. You then output the Roku video to the audio and video inputs on your TV.

That's all the Roku really is, is a computer that does things pretty much the same way your laptop does things, just in a more simplified manner.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby dgrider » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:23 pm

hellosandiego wrote:I thought that ROKU HD would improve (speed up) the almost constant interruptions to the streaming movies from Netflix....

I doubt it. If anything, i would bet your computer would do a much better job...assuming your computer is powerful enough and you have good speed.
dgrider

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion