Crackle channel

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Crackle buffer

Postby mrb2222 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:54 pm

Crackle pauses every 5 minutes or so to reload buffer. I don't get this with other channels. Any ideas?
mrb2222

Re: Crackle channel

Postby rokewl » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:48 pm

I"m not sure, but I suspect Crackle doesn't offer the lower-quality streams that Netflix does. A couple times I've tried when my router was clogged, it just timed out.
rokewl

Postby Crow550 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:56 pm

I assume in time Crackle will improve. Hopefully the developer of the Roku channel pops in this thread so we can give suggestions.
Crow550
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Crackle buffer

Postby TheEndless » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:26 pm

mrb2222 wrote:Crackle pauses every 5 minutes or so to reload buffer. I don't get this with other channels. Any ideas?

There have been some reports of people getting buffering instead of commercials (i.e. the commercial never plays, but the break is still present in the stream). I wonder if that's what you're seeing...
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby Senkoboy » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:59 pm

There have been some reports of people getting buffering instead of commercials (i.e. the commercial never plays, but the break is still present in the stream).

That's what it did to me, no big deal. The Channel is Great, Thanks.........
:D
Mythbuntu is cool
Senkoboy

Postby socantra » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:26 am

TheEndless wrote:
mrb2222 wrote:There have been some reports of people getting buffering instead of commercials (i.e. the commercial never plays, but the break is still present in the stream). I wonder if that's what you're seeing...

That is definitely what I've been seeing. Interruptions every 10 minutes or so. Sometimes its a commercial, sometimes part of a commercial and sometimes just a reload with no commercial

My AT&T DSL has been degrading over the last few years and now speedtests at 2.6 max and as low as 2.2 during peak hours. I keep the debugging screen on and I notice that Crackle is about the only channel that doesn't display it when they buffer. I believe the post about Crackle not using lower quality streams may be the case. I have few problems with Netflix and Amazon. Their 1.5 and 1.3 streams usually work fine.

Nice channel, beautiful picture, but not good for much on my struggling internet connection for anything I really want to pay attention to.
Please attempt to maintain a thin veneer of civility.
Remember, you are speaking to strangers on the internet,
not your own family at home.
socantra

Postby RokuChris » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:06 am

Crackle does in fact offer multiple bitrate versions of their content. And we are working with them to iron out the issues with their ad-breaks.
RokuChris

Postby Desert Dingo » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:07 am

stratcat96 wrote:
candita wrote:
stratcat96 wrote:... and they just added a ton of new movies on April 1st. The original Ghostbusters anyone? lol

How can you tell when they add stuff?..It all looks the same to me

if you look at "Featured Movies" it will show new additions, and if you go to the "all movies" row it shows the total count, and that number has risen. I do wish there was just a "new" column though...

I must have just missed a 'title rotation'. Last week I noted 5+ titles, (that were not streaming on NF) that I wanted to view...went on this weekend and every one of them were gone. Count of 'all movies' last week was at 300+...now @ 109? Seems odd that the number I chose would have been placed in rotation at same time...but guess that is what happened. Crackle needs tro place a 'title search' on the: all movies section. 300 or so is a lot to go thru. Their website does, (of course) have full service. They are a good addition to Roku channels.
Desert Dingo

Postby donaldsykes1979 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:04 pm

Wondering when they'll add seinfeld to the roku seeing as It's on the website and they advertise it 3-5 times on every show I watch.
donaldsykes1979

Postby frank1492 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:11 pm

Strange not more people are reporting this.
frank1492

Postby stratcat96 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:21 pm

donaldsykes1979 wrote:Wondering when they'll add seinfeld to the roku seeing as It's on the website and they advertise it 3-5 times on every show I watch.

I opened up Crackle on Friday and elated to see ten full episodes of Seinfeld on there. I had to get to work and decided to watch a few when I got home that night. By that night they were gone :(
stratcat96

Postby donaldsykes1979 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:05 pm

That sucks hopefully the guys over at crackle will get on the ball and add seinfeld back. (at least stop advertising that its available).
donaldsykes1979

Postby frank1492 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:22 am

I really wish I could understand how this works. What reason could Crackle have to limit selections streamed through Roku but not limit them in computer streaming? I wish a Roku tech would answer this. Crackle should be Crackle.
A similar thing happened with Vudu on my Magnavox Blu-ray. Pandora was originally one of the channels under the Vudu "umbrella." Suddenly it was gone. It was supposed to be a joint dispute between Vudu, Pandora and Magnavox. When you buy a streaming product you should have reasonable assurances that all the things you bought it for aren't going to be subject to change.
frank1492

Postby kc8pql » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:08 pm

frank1492 wrote:I really wish I could understand how this works. What reason could Crackle have to limit selections streamed through Roku but not limit them in computer streaming?

One word. Licensing. Having the right to stream to computers does not grant the right to stream to other devices. That's why all the content on the Hulu website isn't available on Hulu+.
It requires a separate license from the content owner.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby jheartney » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:27 pm

I'm assuming the reason you get Crackle reloads is that those are the slots for ads. Currently Crackle hasn't sold the ad space, so you just get a reload, not an ad. If Crackle gets more successful, there will eventually be ads in those spaces. (And if they don't start selling the ad space, then Crackle will eventually go out of business.)
jheartney

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion