Can't add channels

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Can't add channels

Postby boomer47 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:37 am

Well, I finally gave up on getting the channel store to come up without a soft reset so now I just unplug the player when I'm through watching and plug it in again when needed. Takes awhile to boot but less time than jumping through the setup hoops.
Now that I can access the channel store I find it was all for naught because every time I try to add a channel I get this message "operation not supported at the time".
Does that mean it will be supported sometime in the future or what?
I bought this 2100X a little over a month ago and am now wishing I had never heard of Roku. Between the problems of getting this thing to connect to my network and all the other little glitches it comes with it is a chore to try to watch anything on without having a screaming fit.
boomer47

Re: Can't add channels

Postby mkiker2089 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:57 am

Most people don't have any problems at all. That concerns me since it's not a common issue. Have you called tech support? Adding channels is certainly available at this time so whatever problem you are having will need to be addressed.

Is the Roku wired or wireless? Can you try it wired to see if it helps.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby gonzotek » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:13 am

boomer47 wrote:Well, I finally gave up on getting the channel store to come up without a soft reset so now I just unplug the player when I'm through watching and plug it in again when needed. Takes awhile to boot but less time than jumping through the setup hoops.
Now that I can access the channel store I find it was all for naught because every time I try to add a channel I get this message "operation not supported at the time".
Does that mean it will be supported sometime in the future or what?
I bought this 2100X a little over a month ago and am now wishing I had never heard of Roku. Between the problems of getting this thing to connect to my network and all the other little glitches it comes with it is a chore to try to watch anything on without having a screaming fit.
RokuShawnS, the Roku community liaison, posted in your other thread with some suggested steps, and asked for additional info if the suggestions didn't help: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=39164&p=258897#p258897
RokuShawnS wrote:Go into Settings and try the reboot option. If that fails, try using the reset button on the bottom of the unit (hold for 60 seconds) after disconnecting the HDMI cable (if you're connected that way).

If none of this works, please send me a PM with your NAME, ROKU SN, ROKU MODEL, EMAIL, PHONE.

Thanks,
C. Shawn Smith

Have you followed up with him? If not, I highly suggest doing so. Your issues are not very common, but similar reports do appear from time to time. If you send Shawn your info, Roku will be able to look at things from their end and might be able to determine if the issue is with the unit or the networking environment it is in.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
gonzotek
** Valued Community Member **

Postby tensen » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:18 am

boomer47 wrote: Now that I can access the channel store I find it was all for naught because every time I try to add a channel I get this message "operation not supported at the time".

Operation not supported at the time is usually a responce when it lost network connection. (Not a great error message to indicate what the problem was.)
tensen

Postby boomer47 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:58 am

Yes, I followed Rokushawn's advice and it did not help.
I don't think it's a network problem because I have the same issues when I use a wired connection.
Maybe the only solution is to get a RMA and start all over being I'm still under warranty.
As with all things even remotely connected to a computer, there are glitches that come up that I've found can usually be solved by going to the forums and getting members help.
I'll play with it for a few more days then go the RMA route if I have to.
Thanks to all for reading my gripes and for the suggestions.
boomer47

Postby kc8pql » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:16 am

boomer47 wrote:Yes, I followed Rokushawn's advice and it did not help.
I don't think it's a network problem because I have the same issues when I use a wired connection.

Note that your network is everything from the box to the remote server, not just what's in your house.

PM Shawn the information he asked for. He can check your box's log and may be able to see exactly what's going on.
Your problem is not common and you have the attention of, and an offer to help from Roku engineering. You would be wise to follow up.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby boomer47 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:40 am

I did pm the info to Rokushawn.
Did a factory reset, no joy.
The settings page shows signal strength as good on the wireless connection and I get 4 dots when streaming a movie on Netflix and just 1 or two rebufferings during a two hour movie
Rokushawn suggested a RMA if his suggestions did not help so I guess thats the way to go.
But, I see several posts here that seem to suggest that a new or refurbed box may not help either.
Better the devil you know so I'll probably keep trying on this one for a little longer.
boomer47

Postby boomer47 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:49 am

I made a mistake on Rokushawns suggesting a RMA. After pm'ed the info he aksed for he did suggest a factory reset, not a rma. I guess I saw that suggestion somewhere else on the forum.
And yes, I've tried the wired connection and get the same thing.
boomer47

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion