Payment info to set up account???

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Payment info to set up account???

Postby laffytaffy » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:26 pm

So we went out and bought a Roku box at Radio Shack today... All we want to to is access Netflix and Youtube. Supposedly the Roku service is free, but when I go to sign up I'm asked (required) to enter payment info.

I understand it's to pay for premium services (not mentioned anywhere except sign up), but I don't want the premium services.

And I certainly will not give out any form of payment info unless I'm buying something, Roku does not need to have my info on tap. Flat out, it isn't going to happen.

Is there a way to set an account up without giving out my CC info? If not, the box is going back and I'll find something else.

And yes, this really ticks me off, there has been no mention of payment info being required to sign up for the service. It's just the same as if a stranger walked up and asked for my CC numbers.
laffytaffy

Re: Payment info to set up account???

Postby RokuShawnS » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:33 pm

There are quite a few threads regarding this.

You should contact Customer Service.

Roku Phone Numbers
Phone Support: 888-600-7658
Hours: Monday through Saturday 8AM to 8PM PST

Thanks,
C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby laffytaffy » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:51 pm

I tried that already. Not knocking the gal that answered, but she was difficult to understand. I did get that she wanted to open a ticket and then went on to try and gather all the info she could.

I'm not interested in giving any info out (not CC info, not my address, just email is bad enough). I bought a bit of hardware so that we can watch movies and I'm not interested in anything else besides that from Roku.

This is bull, the box is going back. I can just buy a cheap Blueray player and not sign up for anything and still get Netflix, etc... without opening myself up to getting a load of spam from the "marketing" trolls or risking my CC info sitting on more servers than it's already on.
laffytaffy

Postby RokuShawnS » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:00 pm

I'm sorry you feel this way :(. However, there may be an option for you other than contacting tech support. I'm not 100% certain if this is still possible, but it might be worth a try: http://support.roku.com/entries/387912- ... ku-account

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Postby stratcat96 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:03 pm

also, as soon as the account is created you can click the "delete payment info" button to clear it all out and you're good to go
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Postby kc8pql » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:04 pm

^^^ That may work. Open the account and then delete the payment method. I don't have a payment method on my account (grandfathered in I guess) and everything else still works fine.
Last edited by kc8pql on Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby stratcat96 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:06 pm

my account was "grandfathered in" without having to add it, but I wanted to buy a channel out of the store so I put it in, made my purchase, then cleared it right out :)
stratcat96

Postby TheEndless » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:06 pm

Or set up a free PayPal account and use that.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby kc8pql » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:12 pm

laffytaffy wrote: All we want to to is access Netflix and Youtube.

OK, Just to avoid another thread tirade, return the box. YouTube isn't available on Roku anymore.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby -LD » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:23 pm

Wow, didn't know this was a requirement since I was grandfathered in. Not sure I would have set up a box if CC was a requirement.

There's no good reason considering none of the major channels require you pay through Roku. It's really just not taking the user into account.
-LD

Postby mommom » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:09 pm

People give their payment info to Amazon,Paypal,Google checkout,utility companies,Vudu,etc with no problem but something about Roku spooks them.Put it in and then clear it out.Make a virtual CC if your company allows it.Get a free Paypal account .Then cancel it.They did this for our convenience,you know you decide to pay $1.99 for a channel or $.99 for a game and you just don't like getting,getting out your card,and entering it for some company you never heard of that made a channel on Roku.

You probably have an Iphone tracking your every purchase. :wink:
mommom

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion