Credit Card required AFTER purchase?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: Credit Card required AFTER purchase?

Postby web007 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:11 am

Got the box on the 14th of this month, almost took it back on the 15th....I don't like the idea of someone holding my cc data for future use. There's tooo many hackers looking for that type of data, or fools just gaining access to an account and adding charges for anything they can , even if they gain nothing, just to be fools. My insurance co wants to save it , my Cell company,ect... I know them much better than this company... (don't even know what state they're in) and I don't let them keep it.

Thanks for the way to delete the cc, but I should have had a choice in the first place, other than taking the box back.

One thing which seems silly, If you can delete it afterwards...( after finding this thread ) Why force the issue in the first place? For me the easier route was to take the box back rather than try to fight with someone to change their rules,..... not even knowing if it's possible. Had I not found this thread, The box would have been returned within the 30 days....
Last edited by web007 on Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
web007

Postby jeffrok » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:14 am

I am agreeing with Laffytaffy on this one.. Roku shouldn't NEED to store your credit card info, if you opt not to.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby TheEndless » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:30 am

I don't think anyone disagrees with the fact that it should be elective. The arguments and negative posts are a direct response to the way these people choose to complain. It's one thing to say, "Hey, that's not cool. I don't like the idea of giving out my credit card number." It's a completely different thing to start calling the company names and accusing them of selling/sharing your CC info with other companies, and lashing out at other users who are genuinely trying to provide workarounds. If you don't like the requirement, and aren't sold enough on the box to work around the requirement, then return it and go buy something else. There's no need to go on tirades in the forum about it. Honestly, if you're that suspicious and paranoid that Roku is going to use your information in some nefarious way, then you probably shouldn't be purchasing their products in the first place.

-LD wrote:There is absolutely ZERO reason Roku needs your CC info. None. Zero. Zilch.

It's the same requirement as Apple has to set up an iTunes/app store account, and for the same purpose. And before anyone makes the "gift card" argument, you can do the same using a Visa/Mastercard gift card to set up your account with Roku.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby bowserb » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:58 am

You know, I'm surprised--assuming Roku people read their own forums--that the company hasn't already changed the registration process to make the credit card an optional entry. It seems that users almost universally object to the mandatory credit card, and many many call to customer service to complain and then get a no credit card account. What's going on up there?

Hey, Roku. Pay attention and fix this thing. You've got the best streaming video device, but you're shooting yourself in the foot with that unnecessary credit card thing. You're losing customers and making people mad with something you can easily fix!
bowserb

Postby Gilgamesh » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:33 am

bowserb wrote:You know, I'm surprised--assuming Roku people read their own forums--that the company hasn't already changed the registration process to make the credit card an optional entry. It seems that users almost universally object to the mandatory credit card, and many many call to customer service to complain and then get a no credit card account. What's going on up there?

Hey, Roku. Pay attention and fix this thing. You've got the best streaming video device, but you're shooting yourself in the foot with that unnecessary credit card thing. You're losing customers and making people mad with something you can easily fix!

How would you know that "users almost universally object to the mandatory credit card" or that there are "many many call to customer service"? That seems to be something that only Roku would know and as far as I know no one at Roku has shared that call info.

Also it does not seem that the number of lost customers due to this is large at all or the number of posts here would be MUCH larger.

I agree that the credit card requirement is unneeded but there are simple ways around it so the real impact is small and this is probably NOT costing Roku a great number of sales and it is probably not overloading their call centers either.

The screaming of a vocal minority about a trivial issue is much like a troop of baboons I saw once: A stream suddenly swelled due to an up stream shower and about 5 of the troop were stranded on the wrong side. The stream remained uncrossable for four days. Rather than foraging for food on both sides of the stream the baboons stayed for the entire time on opposite sides and yelled across. The lack of food and stress caused the death of two of the troop's members and another died by drowning by trying to cross to soon.

This yelling and bitching about a policy that has an easy work around is much like those baboons yelling across the stream. It serves no purpose, it provides no assistance, and it works to the determent of the people involved.

As I said it IS a stupid policy but it can easily be avoided and, for now at least, it is not going to change.
Gilgamesh

Postby kc8pql » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:01 pm

It's probably also worth noting that Roku's billing system option for channel owners probably increases the number of new channels constantly appearing on the box.
The fact that developers know that almost every box is signed up to buy channels with just a few clicks is a plus for them. Let's face it, .99 cent games and $1.99 subscriptions
are impulse buys. People are much more likely to do it if they can just click from the box rather than going to the computer, entering their Roku account, add a payment method...

Remember, Roku doesn't charge developers anything to have a channel on the box, nor do they pay developers anything to develop channels for the box.
An easy purchase/subscription system benefits us all, if we use it or not.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby stratcat96 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:06 pm

does anyone remember before they did the payment system that people complained they had to get up and go to the computer to setup a separate account in order to subscribe/buy anything? This was Roku's attempt to streamline the process. The requirement of the credit card to activate is a bit harsh I do agree. I prefer things like the way iTunes or even Amazon VOD does it where you can browse all you want but if at the point you want to buy something then you need to put in some info. After that you could have the choice to save or delete your payment info. That of course would require people to get up and head to their computer, which then once again people will complain. Bottom line is "it is what it is" and there are ways to get around it if you don't care for that info to be in cyberspace. It isn't a big deal until you make it one.
stratcat96

Postby -LD » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:41 pm

TheEndless wrote:
-LD wrote:There is absolutely ZERO reason Roku needs your CC info. None. Zero. Zilch.

It's the same requirement as Apple has to set up an iTunes/app store account, and for the same purpose. And before anyone makes the "gift card" argument, you can do the same using a Visa/Mastercard gift card to set up your account with Roku.

Apple doesn't require a credit card just to set up an account: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2534
-LD

Postby -LD » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:42 pm

kc8pql wrote:An easy purchase/subscription system benefits us all, if we use it or not.

That's not the same thing as requiring it just for setup. I agree an easy purchase system is good for everyone who wants to buy or sell something. But a CC for registration shouldn't be forced on everyone.
-LD

Postby Gilgamesh » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:46 pm

-LD wrote:... But a CC for registration shouldn't be forced on everyone.

And, thankfully, it is not for the Roku.
Gilgamesh

Postby -LD » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:48 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:
-LD wrote:... But a CC for registration shouldn't be forced on everyone.

And, thankfully, it is not for the Roku.

Seems like a form of payment is forced on new users. Or a complicated manual workaround.
-LD

Postby Gilgamesh » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:52 pm

-LD wrote:... Or a complicated manual workaround.
Making a call to customer service is not complicated nor is it even difficult. It takes a little bit of time and that is all.
Gilgamesh

Postby stratcat96 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:01 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:
Making a call to customer service is not complicated nor is it even difficult. It takes a little bit of time and that is all.

to add to that, typing it in to create your account and then clicking "delete payment info" isn't a complicated workaround either.
stratcat96

Postby -LD » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:10 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:

And talking to terrible off-shore out-sourced agents. I've read plenty of stories on here to know to avoid them.

Eye of the beholder. That's more complicated than I would want it to be as a new customer.
-LD

Postby -LD » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:11 pm

stratcat96 wrote:
Gilgamesh wrote:

to add to that, typing it in to create your account and then clicking "delete payment info" isn't a complicated workaround either.

That's not a workaround because the problem is some people don't want to provide their CC info, rightly so. Just because you "deleted" it doesn't mean it's gone.
-LD

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion