Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jwray
Visitor

Audio codec support and surround sound

Hi,

This maybe a little bit of a dumb question but I'm a little confused about what audio codecs and number of channels are supported. The encoding pdf states 2 channel audio is supported but the hardware is capable of 5.1. Under what circumstances is 5.1 supported and when is only 2 channel supported?

thanks,
Jonny
0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
RokuKevin
Visitor

Re: Audio codec support and surround sound

One of the supported audio codecs is ac3 which is 5.1 audio capable. It can be used in conjunction with mp4 and hls streams.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
jwray
Visitor

Thanks for the reply. So HLS can use ac3 in both 5.1 and stereo? I was under the impression only aac was supported via HLS. And aac is not supported for 5.1?

"RokuKevin" wrote:
One of the supported audio codecs is ac3 which is 5.1 audio capable. It can be used in conjunction with mp4 and hls streams.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

firmware v3.0 only will support the HLS CODEC tag for ac3.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
jwray
Visitor

Great, good to know.

And aac, is 5.1 pass through over HLS supported for that also or just ac3?

"RokuKevin" wrote:

--Kevin
0 Kudos
getlitleye
Visitor

It's not support AC3 - 5.1 Extrac to Wave file, I'm looking for Software with Extract AC3-5.1 Channel and AC3-Stereo but AC3 Decoder 1.2.6 support only AC3-Stereo by low quality.
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

The box does ac3 pass-thru only.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
scyber
Visitor

"RokuKevin" wrote:

--Kevin

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but can anyone confirm whether the released version of 3.0 supports ac3 in HLS? I can get it working on my Roku2 unit, but HLS streams with ac3 don't work at all on my Roku1 (HD-XR) unit running the latest 3.0 firmware. Just want to know if I should stop try and just put a version check in place.
0 Kudos
scyber
Visitor

"scyber" wrote:
"RokuKevin" wrote:

--Kevin

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but can anyone confirm whether the released version of 3.0 supports ac3 in HLS? I can get it working on my Roku2 unit, but HLS streams with ac3 don't work at all on my Roku1 (HD-XR) unit running the latest 3.0 firmware. Just want to know if I should stop try and just put a version check in place.

Bumpity bump bump.

Any further info if firmware v3.0 definitively supports ac3 in HLS?
0 Kudos
Alighieri
Visitor

"scyber" wrote:
... but can anyone confirm whether the released version of 3.0 supports ac3 in HLS? I can get it working on my Roku2 unit, but HLS streams with ac3 don't work at all on my Roku1 (HD-XR) unit running the latest 3.0 firmware. Just want to know if I should stop try and just put a version check in place.

Have you run your tests under firmware 3.1? Some of us are beginning to speculate that the unsuccessful attempt to support AC3 in HLS in 3.x firmware may be the reason why HLS is not working properly.

Certainly as noted here
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=45900&start=15#p311799
the failures of HLS in the beta are pretty much replicated in the released 3.0 firmware that broke my usage and others. 3.1 has some similar failures with HLS, but the audio problems are more notable. This post describes one of the audio problems some are seeing in more detail
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=45930#p311821

Thanks.
0 Kudos