will roku play flash streams?

Roku's free SDK allows developers to build channels and applications and publish them to the Roku Channel Store. Register for the Developer Program at http://www.roku.com/developer

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuChris, RokuJoel

Re: will roku play flash streams?

Postby stratcat96 » Tue May 10, 2011 10:21 am

learner wrote:i dont think we have to convert the video using a decoder and then upload to another stream to view in roku.
People have implemented some way to get You tube on their channels.. and even rtsp and rmtp flash streams .. Is it possible??
some where they have some code to convert or strip off the flash encapsulation and get the HLS....
Sorry I am a beginner....

as renojim said, most (if not all) Youtube videos are also on their servers as mp4's, which Roku can play. The videos aren't being stripped or anything like that, the channels that use youtube streams are using the mp4 versions
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Postby jseigle85 » Tue May 10, 2011 11:14 am

I know that everyone is saying that no you can not play flash feed with the Roku, but I do not believe that it is true of all conditions.

I have been successful with playing flash with the Roku. There are a few step you must do in order for it to work.

ON Thursday I am going to be lunching a new website to provide video tutorials to help show you now to write application with Roku. Also I will include how to get flash to work with the Player. If interested I will create the video to show you how, but you need to email me as I do not check the Roku Forums often. jseigle85@gmail.com
jseigle85

Postby bollywood » Tue May 10, 2011 11:39 am

the method that you say you will provide instructions for, will this work on youtube only or will it possibly work on other live channel websites which are streaming in flash?
Hawk Cam
Live footage from the nest on top of Bobst Library at N.Y.U.
copy and paste the link in your browser or use keyword: hawkcam

https://owner.roku.com/add/hawkcam
bollywood

Postby RokuKevin » Tue May 17, 2011 9:28 am

You can try streamformat = "flv" for a flash container of h.264 encoded video... However, It is not an officially supported container and we have no interest in looking at streams that don't play.

--Kevin
RokuKevin
Roku Engineering

Postby learner » Tue May 17, 2011 10:16 am

thanks kevin ,even i had same question and please post the API document with the methods and parameters supported...
I dont see all the parameters and the syntax.. it looks like everything is restricted and there is no proper manual...
learner

Postby stratcat96 » Tue May 17, 2011 10:27 am

the documentation on http streaming is in the SDK support pdfs. FLV as a container is not in there, but as Kevin said rather than notating in BS an "hls" streamformat, change it to "flv" and if the video and sound codecs contained there within are the correct (h.264 etc.) formats then it will work.
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Postby thelostemperor » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:40 pm

The sad truth of the matter is that many online video providers deliberately stick with Flash precisely because it prevents people from accessing the content on set-top boxes like Roku, or mobile devices like the iPad. Their reason for preventing access from these devices is usually licensing agreements with short-sighted media companies that want to tightly control what devices you can watch their content on. There are NO technological hurdles to providing this content; the obstacles are all commercial. If Roku were to enable us to view all Flash content, which technically they could very easily do, they would almost immediately lose the deals they have with the major media players.
It is ironic that when Apple released the 1st iPad with Flash disabled, people naively thought this would promote adoption of HTML 5; instead it solidified the use of Flash as a means of blocking a whole host of devices from a wide range of content streams.
thelostemperor

Postby destruk » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:52 pm

When creating a topic, please perform a search or glance over the first two pages before posting the topic, as it may have been covered already. In general, if a thread is more than six months old, it will be best for our moderators if you generate a new thread, to prevent confusion.

This forum rule doesn't work. Perhaps threads without a reply after 6 months should be automatically deleted by the moderators.
destruk

Previous

Return to Roku Developer Program