Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
learner
Channel Surfer

Re: will roku play flash streams?

Hi,
I also see many sites like You tube which uses Flash and encode h264 which is played in ROKU.
How do I do that.. Its says flash but runs on Box .So wanted to know how to check such formats and play them as channels?

Please Advice.
George
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Youtube also has mp4 versions of the videos. They are the ones that play on the box.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos

"renojim" wrote:
Youtube also has mp4 versions of the videos. They are the ones that play on the box.

I saved some flash video the other day from Youtube that was AAC audio and AVC video in an FLV container. Making it roku-able (is that a word?) was just a matter of running it through Avidemux with the codecs set to copy and the container format as mp4. A very fast conversion. You could do the same with the all-powerful ffmpeg.
0 Kudos
bollywood
Visitor

it would be great if roku would add support for flash streams.
Hawk Cam
Live footage from the nest on top of Bobst Library at N.Y.U.
copy and paste the link in your browser or use keyword: hawkcam

https://owner.roku.com/add/hawkcam
0 Kudos
learner
Channel Surfer

i dont think we have to convert the video using a decoder and then upload to another stream to view in roku.
People have implemented some way to get You tube on their channels.. and even rtsp and rmtp flash streams .. Is it possible??
some where they have some code to convert or strip off the flash encapsulation and get the HLS....
Sorry I am a beginner....
0 Kudos
stratcat96
Visitor

"learner" wrote:
i dont think we have to convert the video using a decoder and then upload to another stream to view in roku.
People have implemented some way to get You tube on their channels.. and even rtsp and rmtp flash streams .. Is it possible??
some where they have some code to convert or strip off the flash encapsulation and get the HLS....
Sorry I am a beginner....

as renojim said, most (if not all) Youtube videos are also on their servers as mp4's, which Roku can play. The videos aren't being stripped or anything like that, the channels that use youtube streams are using the mp4 versions
0 Kudos
jseigle85
Visitor

I know that everyone is saying that no you can not play flash feed with the Roku, but I do not believe that it is true of all conditions.

I have been successful with playing flash with the Roku. There are a few step you must do in order for it to work.

ON Thursday I am going to be lunching a new website to provide video tutorials to help show you now to write application with Roku. Also I will include how to get flash to work with the Player. If interested I will create the video to show you how, but you need to email me as I do not check the Roku Forums often. jseigle85@gmail.com
0 Kudos
bollywood
Visitor

the method that you say you will provide instructions for, will this work on youtube only or will it possibly work on other live channel websites which are streaming in flash?
Hawk Cam
Live footage from the nest on top of Bobst Library at N.Y.U.
copy and paste the link in your browser or use keyword: hawkcam

https://owner.roku.com/add/hawkcam
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

You can try streamformat = "flv" for a flash container of h.264 encoded video... However, It is not an officially supported container and we have no interest in looking at streams that don't play.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
learner
Channel Surfer

thanks kevin ,even i had same question and please post the API document with the methods and parameters supported...
I dont see all the parameters and the syntax.. it looks like everything is restricted and there is no proper manual...
0 Kudos