switching to xfinity

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

switching to xfinity

Postby josie » Tue May 10, 2011 4:08 pm

Will be switching to comcast xfinity and am looking for your recommendations for best modem/router setup to get. thanks! Josie
josie

Re: switching to xfinity

Postby Plunderer » Tue May 10, 2011 4:56 pm

Well, I just switched a couple of months ago from ATT.

I will be brutally honest in saying it WAS NOT a flawless change. We had trouble with every single aspect...from cable, to phone, to Internet, to Caller ID. My number 1 recommendation: DO NOT LET THEM IN YOUR HOUSE IF THEY AREN'T COMCAST. In my area, they have idiots with stickers on their trucks that "contract" with comcast, but they screw everything up.

That said, to your question, THEY supplied the modem, and it works fine with my existing wireless netgear router. It SHOULD be the same for you, with whatever router you have. You probably have to restart the router after moving to the new modem though.

Good news: Both of my Roku's never knew the difference, except that the speed was faster than ATT.

-P

P.S. And just to be fair, Comcast is 10000% better at customer service than ATT. Just make sure you deal with Comcast.
Main 3100X/HDMI
Backup 2400X/HDMI
And a few older ones...
Plunderer

Postby josie » Tue May 10, 2011 6:20 pm

thanks p. I was hoping to get my own modem to bypass the monthly fee and also do the self installation kit they offer over the internet. Read while surfing that the kit is really not necessary, I would just prefer to not let any cable person in my home as I have dealt with them before. That's why I'm looking for problem free equipment.
josie

Postby rilex » Tue May 10, 2011 8:29 pm

Comcast doesn't care about the router, as for the modem, it must be one they support, and as of a few months ago at least, the Motorola SB6120 was one of, if not the best modems to have. I have it personally it has only been positive.
rilex

Postby josie » Tue May 10, 2011 9:35 pm

the Motorola SB6120 is at the top of the list. Comcast doesn't care about the router but it seems Roku does so am trying to do some research and looking to see if one piece of equipment will do both functions.
josie

Postby rilex » Tue May 10, 2011 9:50 pm

Motorola makes a few, but again, it must be supported by Comcast so your best bet would be to contact the local office and validate what they do support.

I wouldn't recommend an all-in-one unit.
rilex

Postby MoonChaser » Tue May 10, 2011 9:52 pm

All-in-one is problematic. A few years ago I was with Comcast and my roommate at the time bought a Linksys Cable Gateway (think it was WCG200, but not 100% sure). The wireless was ALWAYS going down, requiring a reboot. If you are connecting everything by Cat-5 you may be OK. As this is an older model, it is not DOCSIS 3, so this one won't work, but due to this experience I am skeptical of this type of solution. Oddly, my 2-wire modem (i have u-verse now) does even more and I've never had problems. Granted, I don't use wireless with this one (roommate had laptop, thus the need for wireless when I had cable) except very rarely (and then no p2p on wifi). I still recommend having modem and router separate when possible.

You can get a DOCSIS 3 modem for under 100 at your local electronics store. Heck, even Wally-World has a Zoom brand for 90... I always thought these specs existed so that whatever cable company you used you knew it would work. Keep this in mind: "supported" means tech support, not "will it work". They don't "support" Linux computers, but if you have one it will work on the network. So I would assume that if it says "DOCSIS 3" that you'd be good to go even if it's not on Comcast's little list. Just in case, choose a store with a good return policy.
MoonChaser

Postby rilex » Wed May 11, 2011 1:08 pm

Here is what Comcast supports:

http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

I would not wander out of that list. They may refuse to allow it on their network or may not have a boot file that will function with it.
rilex

Postby destructo » Wed May 11, 2011 3:29 pm

Plunderer wrote:I will be brutally honest in saying it WAS NOT a flawless change. We had trouble with every single aspect...from cable, to phone, to Internet, to Caller ID. My number 1 recommendation: DO NOT LET THEM IN YOUR HOUSE IF THEY AREN'T COMCAST. In my area, they have idiots with stickers on their trucks that "contract" with comcast, but they screw everything up.

Very true. I've been there. I actually kicked the contractor out of my condo. He sat there on the phone for two hours trying to "troubleshoot" the problem. He sat there for another two hours just staring at the screen and trying to get into the "secret menu" as he put it. He finally told me that my wiring was bad. I told him that he didn't know what he was talking about and to get the <The entropy of a perfect crystal, at absolute zero kelvin, is exactly equal to zero. - Third Law of Thermodynamics> out of my house. Two days later a Comcast tech showed up and had everything running in 15 minutes.

These days Comcast gives you the option to install everything yourself, which can be hard even if you know what you are doing. Most boxes need a refresh signal sent to them and the horrible overseas phone support will not listen to you. Then the arguing begins, because they don't believe you can actually read the message that the box is giving you... Bottom line, request a Comcast tech to install the service for you. Also, look into buying your own modem, because they charge $7 a month to lease one. I picked mine up for $50.
destructo
--------------------------------------------------------------
Rokoding: http://roku.yt1300.com
Destructo! Project: http://destructo.YT1300.com
LunchTray Conspiracy: http://lunchtray.YT1300.com
destructo

Postby Plunderer » Wed May 11, 2011 4:46 pm

LOL. I could have easily written this myself.

The contractor did the exact same thing here.

When he finally left, I didn't have cable, internet, or phone installed. Somehow, it was supposed to just "magically" come up later that evening. I finally got the TV working on my own by calling and having Comcast set up the box remotely. The internet and phone (I kept ATT long enough for some overlap) took a visit by a "real" Comcast tech who told me that he spends all weekend fixing the contractors screw ups. He also said never to let them in the house unless they are driving one of the white vans or one of the ladder trucks. Anything else is a personal vehicle with a comcast magnet stuck to the side...

Also, to the OP, be wary of setting the account up online. I had a lot of trouble setting it up and was told to call an 800 # to start service. The 800 # on the COMCAST site doesn't always bring you to comcast - it brought be to an independent contractor who never actually placed the order. When I finally got through to REAL comcast several days later, they had NO record of my account being set up and said the deal I was offered doesn't exist. I don't know why they deal with these idiot contractors as their front line to the public. They must lose more business this way, I'd figure.

That said, I would agree with others that caution against a single unit. Routers are cheap and easy to replace these days. Also, if Comcast delivers on the promise to overhaul their network this year (I heard 50-100 Mbps), we may all be in need of faster routers (the modems should handle it fine, though). Also, check with your local office about compatible equipment. 1) In my area, I can only rent from them. They say they won't provision personal equipment, even if it is the same model # as what they support. Also, (2) what works for Comcast in my town is different from Comcast 15 miles away (different offices) and they don't always know what works in other areas, for some reason.

Anyhow, best of luck! And let us know how it all works out.

Cheers,

-P

P.S. The Comcast support forums are a great way to get REAL help from their techs. My caller ID never worked right from the beginning (yes, the contractor screwed that up too!), but a post in the right forum got it escalated to the right people who fixed it with ease.
Main 3100X/HDMI
Backup 2400X/HDMI
And a few older ones...
Plunderer

Postby Serendip » Wed May 11, 2011 6:27 pm

+1 for the Motorola SB6120, and you don't need or WANT their self-install kit, or them, for that matter. And I also agree about their forums... the people there really DO try to help, and know a whole lot more than CS phone support. When I tell CS phone support that I have "block sync but can't access the internet" and they ask why I am calling them and not my plumber... and I SOOO wish I were making that up!!

I use an Apple Airport Extreme router, and it's been great.
XDS, XDS, HD-XR, (I like Roku!) Comcast, Router: Apple Airport Extreme, Modem: SB6120, Wireless, HDMI, 21 channels
Serendip

Postby SixBox » Wed May 11, 2011 6:45 pm

Xfinitiy aka Comcast is amongst the worst experience I had, I use to have Broadband with them and had nothing but problems, constant dropping and modem reboots required to get it to work, dismal customer support often the best they can do is send out a tech between a wide hourly range...and I had techs who came out to my house and spent 5 hours diagnosing a problem and could not find a solution.

I switched to AT&T DSL Extreme and had no reliability issues, works fine with AoD, Netflix and etc. Speed with Comcast wasn't a problem, it worked great and was faster than DSL when it worked but was terribly unreliable and that alone made me drop them.

If I had my pick, I would go AT&T Uverse but it's not available yet on my street though I know people that have it in my area. AT&T is not the greatest customer support either, but who needs them as long as my connection is reliable.

I also had Comcast HD TV for 2 weeks and cancelled it, did not work too well. Their solution, try a new box or have a tech stop in. Just look at the youtube videos for "Comcast Sucks"...that speaks in volumes. Well I hope you have better luck..
SixBox

Postby josie » Thu May 12, 2011 12:01 am

omg, all these problems ... would like other options besides xfinity but don't seem to be alot.
josie

Postby Plunderer » Thu May 12, 2011 2:28 am

josie wrote:omg, all these problems ... would like other options besides xfinity but don't seem to be alot.

Yep. It's a corporate game.

BUT, in my experience the switch FROM ATT was worth it. When you call Comcast, you tend to get a live human who speaks English (+100% over ATT). And, more often than not, they can actually help (another + over ATT). Just avoid the contractors. And it's hard to tell who is really from Comcast and who isn't...

-P
Main 3100X/HDMI
Backup 2400X/HDMI
And a few older ones...
Plunderer

Postby destructo » Thu May 12, 2011 12:36 pm

josie wrote:omg, all these problems ... would like other options besides xfinity but don't seem to be alot.

I can't speak for everyone, but their internet service has been rock solid for me.
destructo
--------------------------------------------------------------
Rokoding: http://roku.yt1300.com
Destructo! Project: http://destructo.YT1300.com
LunchTray Conspiracy: http://lunchtray.YT1300.com
destructo

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion