Component Video Connections on XD/S

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Component Video Connections on XD/S

Postby henkech » Wed May 11, 2011 4:54 pm

Recently I got a Roku XD/S. I chose this model because it has Component Video connections. My TV is a 10 year old CRT type with Component Video connections, and I thought I would get better picture this way. Unfortunately, the Roku Comp Vid runs at 720p, and my TV needs 480i. So I ended up using the Composite Video outputs on the Roku.

1) does anyone have any suggestions, other than "buy a HD TV"?

2) can Roku modify the XD/S so that it will use the 480i Comp Video? There must be many of us with these kind of TVs out there.

Chris Henke
Portland, Oregon USA
henkech

Re: Component Video Connections on XD/S

Postby stratcat96 » Wed May 11, 2011 5:47 pm

henkech wrote:Recently I got a Roku XD/S. I chose this model because it has Component Video connections. My TV is a 10 year old CRT type with Component Video connections, and I thought I would get better picture this way. Unfortunately, the Roku Comp Vid runs at 720p, and my TV needs 480i. So I ended up using the Composite Video outputs on the Roku.

2) can Roku modify the XD/S so that it will use the 480i Comp Video? There must be many of us with these kind of TVs out there.

Chris Henke
Portland, Oregon USA

If you can't get the Roku to show 480i through component, there's really no point in fussing with trying to get it to work. You won't see much difference with 480i over composite as opposed to 480i over component. The difference would most likely be negligible anyway.. The component connection would yield a noticeable clarity difference doing 480p or higher, but since your TV apparently doesn't support 480p I personally would just live withe composite. What is the model number of your TV so we might just be able to check if it is progressive scan capable?
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Postby vmps » Thu May 12, 2011 8:02 am

henkech wrote:Recently I got a Roku XD/S. I chose this model because it has Component Video connections. My TV is a 10 year old CRT type with Component Video connections, and I thought I would get better picture this way. Unfortunately, the Roku Comp Vid runs at 720p, and my TV needs 480i. So I ended up using the Composite Video outputs on the Roku.

I'd suggest looking for a model with svideo. If you're concerned about picture quality to the point that the difference between svideo and 480i component is noticeable, you probably need something other than a 10 year old sd tv. (I'm skeptical that any connection method will yield a better picture than the composite output in this setup.)
vmps

Postby mbratch » Thu May 12, 2011 9:41 am

vmps wrote:(I'm skeptical that any connection method will yield a better picture than the composite output in this setup.)

+1. You're looking to use gold plate pipes to run waste water (perhaps not quite that extreme). ;)
http://www.codekinesis.com
mbratch

Postby henkech » Thu May 12, 2011 4:39 pm

stratcat96 wrote:

Chris Henke
Portland, Oregon USA

If you can't get the Roku to show 480i through component, there's really no point in fussing with trying to get it to work. You won't see much difference with 480i over composite as opposed to 480i over component. The difference would most likely be negligible anyway.. The component connection would yield a noticeable clarity difference doing 480p or higher, but since your TV apparently doesn't support 480p I personally would just live withe composite. What is the model number of your TV so we might just be able to check if it is progressive scan capable?

Chris Henke replies:
My DVD player looks much better with the component connections than the composite, this is running at 480i. So I could assume similar improvements if I could make Roku work the same way, eh? Anyway, now that I've bought it, I've become much better informed about the possible issues. It's too bad that Roku doesn't include a discussion of this issue in the website (which I looked at extensively before buying). I could probably have just bought the XD not the XD/S (including cables) and saved $40.
henkech

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion