Roku vs Playstation

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku vs Playstation

Postby jmwe29 » Mon May 16, 2011 7:10 am

Hi, we have been using playstation 3 strictly to stream Netflix for several months now, but the security is insane, and they are forever requiring updates. We were considering switching to Roku to avoid some of this hassle, so I'm wondering what the security issues are and would it be worth the effort to switch? I spent an entire afternoon getting the system up and running in the first place, then about a month later they had some security breach and I spent yet another afternoon on the phone with both companies trying to get the thing going again. Playstation seems to be a royal pain. Is Roku any better or are the hackers just going to make our lives difficult whatever you use?
jmwe29

Re: Roku vs Playstation

Postby jeffrok » Mon May 16, 2011 7:20 am

I think security on the Roku is better- the only billing you do if you use Netflix is directly through Netflix themselves- so if there ARE hackers, they're going to attack Netflix, not Roku..

Roku DOES collect payment info when you sign up, but you can delete that info after signup if you don't plan on purchasing any channels that bill through Roku.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Roku vs Playstation

Postby robertm » Mon May 16, 2011 9:12 am

JSYK, the Roku Netflix channel is not as advanced as the PS. It lacks 5.1 and closed captioning support as well as the larger browse categories and full screen scrolling. The assumption is that Roku will eventually get an updated channel but there is no word on when or if that might happen. On the plus side one of our developers here has a channel submitted for approval that makes managing your netflix queue better than the PS or even the main Netflix website offers.
robertm

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion