Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbrave
Channel Surfer

Re: Tutorials for beginning development on Roku

I'm glad you are doing this. I"m sure I still have a few things I could learn about roImageCanvas myself, so I'll be reading your articles.

- Joel
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos
grim107
Visitor

I have absolutely no background in any programming of any kind. Will this tutorial be able to help me, or should I first learn basic?
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

"grim107" wrote:
I have absolutely no background in any programming of any kind. Will this tutorial be able to help me, or should I first learn basic?

That depends. They very well may suffice for some people with no programming experience, but it would depend on the person and how much exposure they had to related concepts. The biggest problem I see is that I don't cover some basic concepts, but a little googlng and wikipedia browsing may be enough.

The tutorials so far are extremely short, so you are only out a few minutes if it just isn't sufficient for you.
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
KennyJ
Roku Guru

Thanks so much for this. I played around with the SDK when it was first released, but ended up mostly just modifying examples because I didn't have a very good understanding of how to read/write Brightscript. I'm not a programmer, but I've written macros in VBA (excel), used to program in BASIC as a kid, and have some basic PHP skills.

I'll check it out and try to offer a perspective from someone trying to learn.
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

Glad you think it will help! I'll gladly take suggestions for improvements.
-- GandK Labs
0 Kudos
richddean
Streaming Star

Very nice, Thanks for posting this.
0 Kudos

Just a little constructive criticism here, because I do like what you are doing.

The technical writer in me would really like to see bullet points, steps, and different font variations for calling out command line input. Your first and third articles were good about that with the code highlighting, the second article was a bit too paragraph focused for me to follow well as a set of instructions. Some screenshots and illustrations would be really great too to help follow along.
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

"RyanMarquiste" wrote:
Just a little constructive criticism here, because I do like what you are doing.

The technical writer in me would really like to see bullet points, steps, and different font variations for calling out command line input. Your first and third articles were good about that with the code highlighting, the second article was a bit too paragraph focused for me to follow well as a set of instructions. Some screenshots and illustrations would be really great too to help follow along.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. The second article is a little different than the others, as it's really just a loose set of instructions for how to zip and upload, and I wasn't sure the best way to contextualize specifics. If you have a good example of how to enhance the second tutorial, I'd be happy to incorporate the changes.
-- GandK Labs
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

So I just reviewed Part 2 again, and yes, it was horrible. I'm not sure if some older draft version was published, or I was just really tired, but it was missing vital information (such as the button sequence to enter developer mode) and was generally not well formatted, as mentioned. I've rewritten some portions, and reformatted all of it. Please let me know if it's easier to follow now.
-- GandK Labs
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

Updated with tutorial part 4: http://yaketyhack.blogspot.com/2011/05/ ... art-4.html
-- GandK Labs
0 Kudos