XDS component cable

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: XDS component cable

Postby RokuAnthony » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:44 pm

hmm, thats very strange.

I assume you are using the Red/White/Yellow ("composite video"). Cables. And the Yellow cable is connected to a yellow jack on both the roku and a TV. If this is the case, and you have tried a different cable, perhaps your roku is broken. Although I have never heard of this problem. The black and white problem could happen if you were connecting the video (yellow) cable to the wrong jacks. Its important that you use the yellow jacks.

If you know someone else that has a roku, you could take your box to their house, and plug their cables into your roku (just swap theirs for yours), that would tell you if it is a roku box issue or a cable / tv issue.

If you are using componenent (the cable that has red/green/blue connectors), if you plug the cable into the wrong jacks on the TV, it can appear black and white.

anthony
RokuAnthony
El Jefe

Postby kumasuki » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:04 pm

DIALYGAL wrote: I have a ROKU box using RCA cables and it works except that everything is in black and white. No color.

Just in case, avoid connecting the Roku to another device (like a DVD player) - instead connect the Roku directly to the TV.
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby warreng » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:19 pm

just wanted to say that i tried to use a sony camcorder white-red-yellow rca to miniplug cable with my roku xds and samsung hdtv and it did not work. (Yes, I tried all 6 possible plug positions).

I don't understand why roku advertises the xds as having component out capablilty and yet does not include the very obscure cable required to make it work. I paid a price premium for the component output and now will have to mail order the part to make it work. LAME!

-warren g
warreng

Postby stratcat96 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:58 pm

warreng wrote:just wanted to say that i tried to use a sony camcorder white-red-yellow rca to miniplug cable with my roku xds and samsung hdtv and it did not work. (Yes, I tried all 6 possible plug positions).

I don't understand why roku advertises the xds as having component out capablilty and yet does not include the very obscure cable required to make it work. I paid a price premium for the component output and now will have to mail order the part to make it work. LAME!

-warren g

a white/red/yellow cable is a composite cable, not component. Just because it has 3 ends doesn't mean it works the same.
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **

Postby kc8pql » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:12 pm

warreng wrote: I don't understand why roku advertises the xds as having component out capablilty and yet does not include the very obscure cable required to make it work.

From the XDS product discription:
** Requires Roku XDS component cable, sold separately

They don't include it because they would have to charge more for the box to pay for it and most people don't need it anyway.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby cablehound » Thu May 19, 2011 12:48 pm

I just bought a component-to-3.5mm cable that works flawlessly with my ROKU XDS at the following eBay site for only $8.95 plus shipping:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0822515256
cablehound

Postby stratcat96 » Thu May 19, 2011 12:52 pm

an advertisement for your own Ebay posting? Nice ;)
stratcat96

Postby kumasuki » Thu May 19, 2011 2:06 pm

Why only the link to the $8.95 item when this one is available for $6.95!
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby ronfelder » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:51 pm

eyefull wrote:Monoprice has the special cable? I cannot find a cable with a single undetermined connection that then splits into component on their site.

I think you have it confused, there are no component connections on the XDS, just this special jack.

Yes there is it's a mini plug. Composite uses RCA.
Roku 2100x, (2) Roku2 3100x , Actiontec M1424-WR Rev I modem/router, Verizon FIOS 25/25, LG HDTV 42LH90, Pioneer VSX-920 Audio/Video Multi Channel Receiver
ronfelder

Postby ronfelder » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:57 pm

MoonChaser wrote:I thought the benefit of component was that it separated out the various parts of the image to allow for a higher throughput of data to the TV, plus the wires were thick enough to allow for better transmission as well. Wouldn't having all that data going through a 3.5mm jack create a horrible bottleneck and eliminate the benefits? Doesn't seem very efficient to me. It could be interesting to do a comparison of the older boxes with dedicated component outputs vs this special cable... both a visual test by playing the same picture side-by-side simultaneously, and a technical test using an oscilliscope or other testing equipment.

NNot for throughput just less processing. One doesn't have to seperate the luminance from the chroma. This way it's one for you.
Roku 2100x, (2) Roku2 3100x , Actiontec M1424-WR Rev I modem/router, Verizon FIOS 25/25, LG HDTV 42LH90, Pioneer VSX-920 Audio/Video Multi Channel Receiver
ronfelder

Postby ronfelder » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:58 pm

kc8pql wrote:
MoonChaser wrote: It could be interesting to do a comparison of the older boxes with dedicated component outputs vs this special cable...

I already have. I see no difference in PQ between standard three cable component, the special cable and HDMI.

Need a new tv or eyes.
ronfelder

Postby ronfelder » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:01 pm

ViciousTwist wrote:
MoonChaser wrote:I thought the benefit of component was that it separated out the various parts of the image to allow for a higher throughput of data to the TV, plus the wires were thick enough to allow for better transmission as well. Wouldn't having all that data going through a 3.5mm jack create a horrible bottleneck and eliminate the benefits? Doesn't seem very efficient to me. It could be interesting to do a comparison of the older boxes with dedicated component outputs vs this special cable... both a visual test by playing the same picture side-by-side simultaneously, and a technical test using an oscilliscope or other testing equipment.

I agree, this whole 3 component wires into 1 wire thing has me confused... it seems like it is going in the opposite direction in terms of quality... there are 3 wires for a reason... I've never heard of this single wire component cable before, until Roku put it on their new boxes.

I trust Roku, so I'm not quite calling "<Tiggers are a wonderful thing>" - yet, but I do find it a little strange.

It's not one wire. There are three wires within the bundle. Look at the male jack and you'll see that there's more than one channel of video. Remember no audio goes through this cable.
ronfelder

Postby MykeHawke » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:13 am

Has anyone tried an HDMI-Component conversion cable? They have some that just go the 3 component video outputs and other that have the 3 +2 audio.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-MALE-5-RCA ... 4840689235

There is a note that the cable doesn't have the chip to convert digital signals to analog signals, so it only fits for the devices which itself can convert digital signals to analog signals, for example SET TOP BOX (STB)...

Or, I've already got an HDMI to DVI cable hooked into the TV for using my laptop - Would the Roku output sound through the standard RCA's on the composite cables when HDMI is being used?
MykeHawke

Postby kc8pql » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:22 am

MykeHawke wrote: Would the Roku output sound through the standard RCA's on the composite cables when HDMI is being used?

Yes.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
kc8pql

Postby blarsonjr » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:05 pm

Darn! I Wish I went to the end of the thread before ordering the cable I found on eBay. Both cables are sold by the same seller, I'm sure the 6.95 one would have done the job just fine. :(

:)
blarsonjr

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion