Credit Card required AFTER purchase?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Re: Credit Card required AFTER purchase?

Postby klutzrick » Sat May 07, 2011 8:10 pm

I've been a Roku user since shortly after it came out in 2008 and I find this new policy of requiring credit cards absurd. I've read through this entire thread and nothing within convinces me that Roku has ANY need for a cc #. I'd like to see an official explanation of exactly why this policy exists. I understand the possible future ease of purchasing channels, but that choice should be optional NOT required. And it should be optional from the get go, not after a call to customer service.

I love my Roku and have long championed it, but this new policy will profoundly curtail my recommending the device to others. And when I decide to purchase a new player, it will affect a decision that previously been a no brainer.

Rick Klaw
Rick Klaw
************
Professional reviewer, geek maven, and optimistic curmudgeon
klutzrick
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:52 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Credit Card required AFTER purchase?

Postby HeatherABC » Sun May 08, 2011 5:48 am

morjoie wrote:

And for those who question why anyone who objects to Roku's practice would ever use a credit card, I can only say that if I have bought something, I am making a conscious decision to risk the misuse of my information in exchange for the convenience of using my credit card to purchase the product because the convenience outweighs the risk for me. If I have not made a purchase, the risk of handing over credit card information exceeds any benefit from having the company store the information. The company rationale that this storage is for "my convenience" is entirely unpersuasive.

Although the problem is solved for me, I don't like that I had to opt-out of this system when I haven't bought anything that requires my information. And I don't want to try to explain this account setup requirement to my family, so at least one or two other potential roku boxes won't be bought by me, unless the opt-out policy becomes an opt-in policy.


You said that very well! We're on the same page here.
HeatherABC
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 8:55 am

Re: Credit Card required AFTER purchase?

Postby lancescape » Sun May 08, 2011 1:06 pm

It's not a big deal. Sony also stores my CC info directly on their servers to make ordering easy. It's for my own good and it is soooo convenient!
lancescape
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:18 pm

Re: Credit Card required AFTER purchase?

Postby dyancost120 » Wed May 18, 2011 8:21 am

Add my name to the people who are really upset. I have used a Roku box for some time. I was telling a friend about it and offered to loan him mine to try with his Netflix account. I went to his home this morning about 9:00 AM EDST to set up it up after selecting "Restore Factory Defaults". When I went to his computer to enter the access code I was really surprised to find that they wanted my cc information. When I originally set it up at my home this was not a requirement. Since I was setting it up at his house I didn't want to use my cc number and since he wasn't sure if he was going to go with Roku, he didn't want to use his. I am home now and see from this thread that I can call them to bypass this but this means another trip back. What a pain. They really ought to rethink this policy or at least man the help desk to cover regular hours for the east coast. I would not blame my friend if he looked at another brand. :evil:
dyancost120
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 7:52 am

Re: Credit Card required AFTER purchase?

Postby Brotha » Wed May 18, 2011 10:34 am

lancescape wrote:It's not a big deal. Sony also stores my CC info directly on their servers to make ordering easy. It's for my own good and it is soooo convenient!


i see what you did there! :lol:
Roku XD│S, D-Link Boxee Box HD, Channel Master CM-7000PAL Antenna HD DVR, RadioShack Amplified HDTV Antenna, RCA VH915 4 X 1 S-Video Switcher, Actiontec GS503AD3B-01 DSL Modem & 4 Port Ethernet Router, HDMI to Composite S-video Adapter.
Brotha
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:43 pm
Location: The Swan

Re: Credit Card required AFTER purchase?

Postby Razmataz » Wed May 18, 2011 11:23 pm

klutzrick wrote:I've been a Roku user since shortly after it came out in 2008 and I find this new policy of requiring credit cards absurd. I've read through this entire thread and nothing within convinces me that Roku has ANY need for a cc #. I'd like to see an official explanation of exactly why this policy exists. I understand the possible future ease of purchasing channels, but that choice should be optional NOT required. And it should be optional from the get go, not after a call to customer service.

I love my Roku and have long championed it, but this new policy will profoundly curtail my recommending the device to others. And when I decide to purchase a new player, it will affect a decision that previously been a no brainer.

Rick Klaw

Well said. Ditto.

I setup my Roku account before the CC requirement existed. I still log onto Roku to add new private channels, and I was genuinely surprised when I first saw the CC entry page. I decided "it must not pertain to me since I'm only adding free channels now" so I never entered credit card information. Fortunately I was always able to bypass that CC screen - with no ill effects.

I can't tell if this screen is actually enforced for new members, or merely worded in a way to make it sound mandatory (but is actually something you can just bypass). Regardless, it should be provided as an Opt-IN.

As a buyer, I will provide my CC number only when I decide it is needed. Sony's several-week crisis of hacked customer information, is a close analogy for why this would fan some flames, I suspect.

That said, love my Roku.
Razmataz
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:53 pm

Re: Credit Card required AFTER purchase?

Postby lisaekh » Thu May 19, 2011 7:39 pm

Just a thought....does Roku verify that the number you enter is a real credit card number? If not, then we should be able to enter a random number that has the correct number of digits.

If they are verifying the credit card number, do they need to make a small, temporary charge to the card? If so, that makes this even more uncool.

I think my biggest disappointment is that this is Roku, who up until now has been extremely customer oriented. I am nervous that this is a sign of things to come. :(
lisaekh
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:28 am

Re: Credit Card required AFTER purchase?

Postby kc8pql » Thu May 19, 2011 7:55 pm

lisaekh wrote:If they are verifying the credit card number, do they need to make a small, temporary charge to the card?

Of course not. Credit cards are verified simply by matching the name, card number, and billing address. :roll:
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
OTA Antenna, "Netflix Player" N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R
User avatar
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 7946
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: US

Re: Credit Card required AFTER purchase?

Postby stratcat96 » Thu May 19, 2011 8:28 pm

kc8pql wrote:
lisaekh wrote:If they are verifying the credit card number, do they need to make a small, temporary charge to the card?

Of course not. Credit cards are verified simply by matching the name, card number, and billing address. :roll:


That's not true. Card verification involves making a small, $1 charge to the card then refunding it. Of course the charge is instant, the refund takes a few days. There have been reports that indeed Roku does put a $1 verification charge on the card. This is done to verify there are funds on the card and the billing address, name, and card number are legit. There's no way to see if a card is good or not unless you charge it
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 3427
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:22 pm
Location: Ice Planet Hoth

Re: Credit Card required AFTER purchase?

Postby lavenderboozer » Fri May 20, 2011 6:05 am

stratcat96 wrote:
kc8pql wrote:
lisaekh wrote:If they are verifying the credit card number, do they need to make a small, temporary charge to the card?

Of course not. Credit cards are verified simply by matching the name, card number, and billing address. :roll:


That's not true. Card verification involves making a small, $1 charge to the card then refunding it. Of course the charge is instant, the refund takes a few days. There have been reports that indeed Roku does put a $1 verification charge on the card. This is done to verify there are funds on the card and the billing address, name, and card number are legit. There's no way to see if a card is good or not unless you charge it


I guess I am one of these "reports". I ordered our Roku device on the 18th but it has not yet arrived. Yesterday I signed up for Roku account and supplied the CC info. This a.m. I see a $1 charge pending on my cc account. This amount seems trivial but the idea of ANY charge being made to my card without my consent is outrageous and has instilled mistrust of Roku. I haven't even received my device and they are already making unrequested charges? Will call customer service as soon as they open this a.m. and request a no cc account.
lavenderboozer
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 5:56 am
Location: New Mexico

Re: Credit Card required AFTER purchase?

Postby TheEndless » Fri May 20, 2011 6:47 am

lavenderboozer wrote:I guess I am one of these "reports". I ordered our Roku device on the 18th but it has not yet arrived. Yesterday I signed up for Roku account and supplied the CC info. This a.m. I see a $1 charge pending on my cc account. This amount seems trivial but the idea of ANY charge being made to my card without my consent is outrageous and has instilled mistrust of Roku. I haven't even received my device and they are already making unrequested charges? Will call customer service as soon as they open this a.m. and request a no cc account.

If I'm not mistaken, it's not a charge, it's just a hold. It's the same with pretty much any service you supply your card info to, as it's the only way they can verify that it's not false information. But that aside, there's no need to call customer service at this point, since you've already put your card details in. Just go into your account and click the "Remove Payment Details" option.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
User avatar
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 7936
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:15 am
Location: US

Re: Credit Card required AFTER purchase?

Postby lavenderboozer » Fri May 20, 2011 6:53 am

TheEndless wrote:
lavenderboozer wrote:I guess I am one of these "reports". I ordered our Roku device on the 18th but it has not yet arrived. Yesterday I signed up for Roku account and supplied the CC info. This a.m. I see a $1 charge pending on my cc account. This amount seems trivial but the idea of ANY charge being made to my card without my consent is outrageous and has instilled mistrust of Roku. I haven't even received my device and they are already making unrequested charges? Will call customer service as soon as they open this a.m. and request a no cc account.

If I'm not mistaken, it's not a charge, it's just a hold. It's the same with pretty much any service you supply your card info to, as it's the only way they can verify that it's not false information. But that aside, there's no need to call customer service at this point, since you've already put your card details in. Just go into your account and click the "Remove Payment Details" option.



I have never had that happen with other services but this may be the way of the future I guess. So if I can delete the cc info and still use Roku thats a good thing.
lavenderboozer
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 5:56 am
Location: New Mexico

Re: Credit Card required AFTER purchase?

Postby TheEndless » Fri May 20, 2011 6:56 am

lavenderboozer wrote:
TheEndless wrote:
lavenderboozer wrote:I guess I am one of these "reports". I ordered our Roku device on the 18th but it has not yet arrived. Yesterday I signed up for Roku account and supplied the CC info. This a.m. I see a $1 charge pending on my cc account. This amount seems trivial but the idea of ANY charge being made to my card without my consent is outrageous and has instilled mistrust of Roku. I haven't even received my device and they are already making unrequested charges? Will call customer service as soon as they open this a.m. and request a no cc account.

If I'm not mistaken, it's not a charge, it's just a hold. It's the same with pretty much any service you supply your card info to, as it's the only way they can verify that it's not false information. But that aside, there's no need to call customer service at this point, since you've already put your card details in. Just go into your account and click the "Remove Payment Details" option.

I have never had that happen with other services but this may be the way of the future I guess. So if I can delete the cc info and still use Roku thats a good thing.

You've probably just never checked. The hold will usually disappear within 24 hours.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
User avatar
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **
 
Posts: 7936
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:15 am
Location: US

Re: Credit Card required AFTER purchase?

Postby lavenderboozer » Fri May 20, 2011 7:09 am

[/quote]
You've probably just never checked. The hold will usually disappear within 24 hours.[/quote]

Actually I check my bank info every day and sometimes more than once in a day. A member of my family was the victim of a financial crime so I worry waaay too much about it -or so my husband thinks :wink: . Thank you for the info about it being reversed, I am looking forward to seeing that and beginning our Roku enjoyment.
lavenderboozer
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 5:56 am
Location: New Mexico

Re: Credit Card required AFTER purchase?

Postby scyber » Fri May 20, 2011 9:08 am

lavenderboozer wrote:
You've probably just never checked. The hold will usually disappear within 24 hours.


Actually I check my bank info every day and sometimes more than once in a day. A member of my family was the victim of a financial crime so I worry waaay too much about it -or so my husband thinks :wink: . Thank you for the info about it being reversed, I am looking forward to seeing that and beginning our Roku enjoyment.



Well holds are fairly common, so its surprising you have never seen it. For example, here is the support page from Apple about their holds:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3702

As with many other merchants, the iTunes Store and Mac App Store places an authorization hold on your credit card account for the approximate amount of any purchase you make. Similarly, if you update your billing information, the iTunes Store or Mac App Store will place an authorization hold on your credit card account, usually in the amount of 1 USD, to verify your account information.

You might see such authorization requests on your online statement. These requests are not actual charges; they are tests to confirm that your credit card account is active and has credit available to accommodate transactions. Authorization holds are removed by your financial institution shortly after your purchase clears. The amount of time it takes to remove authorization requests varies by financial institution.
scyber
 
Posts: 1283
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:51 am

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jbecker73 and 16 guests