Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zash
Visitor

1080p content on 720p only TV's

Does the Roku output signal 720p signal on the HDMI output (either through configuration or auto-detect) when playing back 1080p content if the TV is NOT 1080p capable at all?

I'm trying to use Roku for a VoD service where all videos are 1080p (I'd rather not re-encode them for the few TV sets that are not 1080p capable).
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
stratcat96
Visitor

Re: 1080p content on 720p only TV's

The Roku outputs whatever resolution the unit is set to EXCEPT when set to "1080p" it will output all menus at 720p and only put out 1080p if a video it's playing is 1080p. If the screen setting is at 720p in the Roku, it will upscale or downscale all content to 720p, like-wise for any other lower resolution. Based on your other post, if you are considering a VOD channel, you should probably think about having multiple encodings of the movies as not to exclude potential users who do not have the internet bandwidth to receive a 1080p-encoded video, accommodate fluctuating bandwidth capabilities, and users who do not have an HD television. Look at the SDK documentation about variable bitrates.
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Visitor

"zash" wrote:
(I'd rather not re-encode them for the few TV sets that are not 1080p capable).

In fact, it's probably the other way 'round. There are many, many TV's in use out there that aren't 1080p, or even HD capable.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

"kc8pql" wrote:

In fact, it's probably the other way 'round. There are many, many TV's in use out there that aren't 1080p, or even HD capable.

Roku has come out with numbers here before, and I think it was something like 50% of people are using the SD unit or are at least running in SD mode.
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
zash
Visitor

The VoD project is for a Condo complex with Gigabit LAN and all units have large flatscreens, however not all are 1080p... And they all will buy the Roku unit or whatever will be recommended to them... Regular Internet rules don't apply...
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

All these suggestions about multiple streams with different resolutions/bitrates to conserver network usage are good recommendations....

However, for your private network VoD service where you only want to provide one encode the Roku box is capable of downscaling the 1080p HD content to 720p HD content (or even SD content) when the box is set to that display mode.

--Kevin
0 Kudos