BYU-tv/Mormon Channel Testing

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

BYU-tv/Mormon Channel Testing

Postby BYUAlum » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:08 pm

For those of you unaware, the Mormon Channel is in the process of alpha-testing a channel for the Roku and BYU-tv just began beta-testing theirs. The Mormon Channel has been testing for a few weeks; BYU-tv just sent out an announcement today about the beta-testing. Both of these channels should be officially available within a few months. So far, both are looking great.

The BYU-tv just began and is continual. The Mormon Channel just tested for General Conference (with great success) and (I assume) will continual testing sporadically with various aspects of the channel.

(For the BYU fans out there, this will be awesome for next year's BYU Football/Basketball seasons, as well as the other sports. Go Cougars!)

Send me a private message if you are interested in participating in either of these testing groups. I can give you some contact information for those conducting the testing.
BYUAlum

Re: BYU-tv/Mormon Channel Testing

Postby gearcrasher » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:40 pm

We are not Mormans but enjoy the Craft shows and family oriented programming from BYU-TV we get on Satellite. Hopefully they will have the resources to give us a better quality picture than we get from DirecTV. I am sure that would make the sports fans happy as well!
Roku XD
Roku HD
Roku XD/S
Logitech Revue
Sony SMP200
Directv HR21
gearcrasher

Postby KennyJ » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:04 pm

I'm also not Mormon, but genealogy is a hobby of mine. Any of that kind of programming?
KennyJ

Postby BYUAlum » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:50 pm

If you would like to know what kind of content is on BYU-tv, check out their updated website at http://new.byutv.org. There are a number of programs that would appeal to those not of the Mormon faith. The current testing has a live feed as well as a number of episodes "on demand" (which are being added to and organized over time). Send me a PM if either of you, or anyone else, would like to help test it (or just watch it before the final release.

(By the way, I am sure that there would be some kind of genealogy programming, though I'm not sure what).
BYUAlum

Postby kbelzowski » Sun May 15, 2011 11:14 am

I am a member and would love to beta test if possible.
kbelzowski

Postby chaddarack » Wed May 25, 2011 3:56 pm

If still testing, I'm interested.
chaddarack

Postby kbelzowski » Wed May 25, 2011 7:01 pm

I've been using byu tv and Mormon channel the last few days and they work great!
kbelzowski

Postby vnzjunk » Thu May 26, 2011 1:56 am

I am interested in LIVE BYU sports and although they do offer that online it either is not in a Roku compatible format or they are not making it available for the Roku stream as of yet. I hope this is made available in time for the football season.

Does anyone else have any up to date information on the availability of Live Sports streaming on this channel ?
vnzjunk

Postby cartman2 » Thu May 26, 2011 8:05 am

I'm Interested in byu tv testing please let me know how I can get in on this.
cartman2

Postby BYUAlum » Thu May 26, 2011 8:09 am

The BYU-TV Channel that is being developed (and should officially be released later this summer) will carry LIVE games for the BYU Teams. The channel that is being developed will broadcast anything that is released on the internet and to the channel via dish or cable. I have personally emailed the developers of the BYU-TV channel for the Roku and had it confirmed to me that the only programming that will not be available on the Roku are the movies or programs that are owned by other companies and broadcast with permission (for example, the old Disney movies that play on Sunday night). This article (http://www.byutv.org/seethegood/post/Why-cant-I-watch-this-movie-online.aspx) explains this.

Even now, with the channel in beta testing, various sports are available. I have seen both softball and baseball games live on my Roku. Once the new football season begins, those games will also be available. In short, the Roku channel for BYU-TV will show every sports game that will be available.

Again, though the official channel will be released later this summer, send me a private message if you are interested in being involved in the beta testing.
BYUAlum

Postby botski » Thu May 26, 2011 8:15 am

I hope this channel is a private channel. Roku seems to be pumping out a lot of religious stuff lately.

Or if it is a public channel, I again request, in a firmware update, to be able to toggle the visibility of channels in the channel store.
botski

Postby BYUAlum » Thu May 26, 2011 8:18 am

It is private to the extent that BYU-TV is developing the channel. Whether it will be released in the channel store is unknown to me, but it won't really matter. Once it is released, I'm sure it will be easy to find, if that is your concern.
BYUAlum

Postby kbelzowski » Thu May 26, 2011 8:19 am

They are private channels currently. User "BYUAlum" has asked to be contacted via private forum message for information on how to add these channels to your roku device. Some of the private channel codes can also be found on this site: http://www.roku-channels.com/
kbelzowski

Postby vnzjunk » Thu May 26, 2011 11:13 am

BYUAlum wrote:The BYU-TV Channel that is being developed (and should officially be released later this summer) will carry LIVE games for the BYU Teams. The channel that is being developed will broadcast anything that is released on the internet and to the channel via dish or cable. I have personally emailed the developers of the BYU-TV channel for the Roku and had it confirmed to me that the only programming that will not be available on the Roku are the movies or programs that are owned by other companies and broadcast with permission (for example, the old Disney movies that play on Sunday night). This article (http://www.byutv.org/seethegood/post/Why-cant-I-watch-this-movie-online.aspx) explains this.

Even now, with the channel in beta testing, various sports are available. I have seen both softball and baseball games live on my Roku. Once the new football season begins, those games will also be available. In short, the Roku channel for BYU-TV will show every sports game that will be available.

Again, though the official channel will be released later this summer, send me a private message if you are interested in being involved in the beta testing.

Thanks for the good information. I had tried to watch a baseball game a month or so ago. It was live on the net but not available on the Roku. Maybe I should have checked on another date and maybe they would have been live on both. At any rate I can wait for the official release. Thanks for the offer though. Looking forward to a full football season of BYU football in the fall.

Thanks again........vnzjunk
vnzjunk

Postby gearcrasher » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:26 pm

I have been watching BYUTV beta on my Roku and overall quality of video is excellent except for the live stream. But I really can't think of any decent HD or even SD live stream on Roku. I do not know if this is even possible. Per this article: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7001 ... vents.html, BYU will be streaming live HD. Is this even possible? It also mentions the possibility of HD on Directv. Currently Directv seems bent on not adding any basic HD channels so I see this as a remote likelihood. At any rate my wife still pines for Fons and Porter in HD so she can actually see what they are doing! I assume it is only available on the live stream because of syndication issues.
Roku XD
Roku HD
Roku XD/S
Logitech Revue
Sony SMP200
Directv HR21
gearcrasher

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion