Roku not connecting to local network.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku not connecting to local network.

Postby lupis78 » Sat May 28, 2011 9:00 am

Hello there, I just recently purchased an roku xds and a new modem. Anyway i have tried to set it up and anytime i do it recognizes the Ethernet cord...but can't connect to the local network. I've turn the devices off and back on to see if that helped, power cycled the modem, did a factory reset on the roku player, but now i am pretty much at a loss. The modem i have the roku player connected to is a Motorola surfboard sbg6580 and i have even tried to connect it to my old Scientific Atlanta modem with no luck either. Any help would be greatly appreciated :).
lupis78

Re: Roku not connecting to local network.

Postby microlady » Sun May 29, 2011 10:08 am

Sounds like you have your Roku wired to your modem. Do you have a router? I see the Roku instructions said to connect your Ethernet cable from the Roku to your router. My router is what sets up my Local Network, which yours cannot find.

If you are wired only...Netflix Guide says: Make sure WIRED is highlighted, press OK and then skip ahead to "Activating your Player" to continue.

You might describe the equipment you have and what exactly happens when you try to access the Roku.

I use wireless on the Roku so I can't say too much about what a wired should do but I am sure others here who are wired can help.

Also, I see you posted on May 28th....that happens to be the day there are major connection problems with Roku and Netflix...See the above topic on this page...about reporting Network Connection problems in May 2011. Click on the last pages to see what is happening right now. You might have to wait until this problem gets resolved...as I checked this morning and connection for my Roku box is still not possible due to problems outside of our control.
Original Roku 1, called N1000,bought 2008 (2014 still works perfectly)
2014 new owner of Roku 3500 (HDMI) streaming stick
microlady

Postby lupis78 » Mon May 30, 2011 1:14 pm

microlady wrote:Sounds like you have your Roku wired to your modem. Do you have a router? I see the Roku instructions said to connect your Ethernet cable from the Roku to your router. My router is what sets up my Local Network, which yours cannot find.

If you are wired only...Netflix Guide says: Make sure WIRED is highlighted, press OK and then skip ahead to "Activating your Player" to continue.

You might describe the equipment you have and what exactly happens when you try to access the Roku.

I use wireless on the Roku so I can't say too much about what a wired should do but I am sure others here who are wired can help.

Also, I see you posted on May 28th....that happens to be the day there are major connection problems with Roku and Netflix...See the above topic on this page...about reporting Network Connection problems in May 2011. Click on the last pages to see what is happening right now. You might have to wait until this problem gets resolved...as I checked this morning and connection for my Roku box is still not possible due to problems outside of our control.

Yes it's connected directly to the cable modem and when i try to connect it will detect the Ethernet cable and won't connect to the local network. I called their 1-800 number and we went through everything, and the only answer they could give me was the box must be defective.
lupis78

Postby vmps » Tue May 31, 2011 6:20 am

lupis78 wrote:Yes it's connected directly to the cable modem and when i try to connect it will detect the Ethernet cable and won't connect to the local network. I called their 1-800 number and we went through everything, and the only answer they could give me was the box must be defective.

Is the computer working on the same device? Can you ping the router? (On the computer, start a command prompt and type "ipconfig" followed by the enter key. look for a line that says "default gateway", it''ll probably be something like 192.168.0.1. Then run "ping 192.168.0.1" (substituting whatever value was in the default gateway line.)).
vmps

Postby microlady » Tue May 31, 2011 10:26 am

Sounds like you are saying the Roku is wired connected directly to your modem. In other words, you do not have a router set up between the Roku and the modem. I always thought it was a router that set up a Local Network. With no router, I don't understand why you are getting a cannot find local network.

With a router, I had that same cannot find and what fixed it was I told the router to broadcast its SSID and then the Router found it.

So the answers you get here really need to know if your connection includes a router or is only an ethernet cable from Roku to the modem, in which case I assume the Roku is the only device that uses the internet. Please clarify your exact setup.
microlady

Postby Gilgamesh » Tue May 31, 2011 12:26 pm

microlady wrote:Sounds like you are saying the Roku is wired connected directly to your modem...

The modem that the OP listed is a router as well. See: http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN ... eway-US-EN

To the OP: I would suspect that a firewall issue or some internal setting in the modem/router is at fault.
Gilgamesh

Postby lupis78 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:12 am

Gilgamesh wrote:
microlady wrote:Sounds like you are saying the Roku is wired connected directly to your modem...

The modem that the OP listed is a router as well. See: http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN ... eway-US-EN

To the OP: I would suspect that a firewall issue or some internal setting in the modem/router is at fault.

No the firewall is turned off. I had issues with other things connecting to the modem such as my xbox...but almost all were resolved by changing the mac address of the devices. But it doesn't seem like roku has any advanced setting your can play with.
lupis78

Postby lupis78 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:16 am

microlady wrote:Sounds like you are saying the Roku is wired connected directly to your modem. In other words, you do not have a router set up between the Roku and the modem. I always thought it was a router that set up a Local Network. With no router, I don't understand why you are getting a cannot find local network.

With a router, I had that same cannot find and what fixed it was I told the router to broadcast its SSID and then the Router found it.

So the answers you get here really need to know if your connection includes a router or is only an ethernet cable from Roku to the modem, in which case I assume the Roku is the only device that uses the internet. Please clarify your exact setup.

Yes its just the roku connected directly to the modem with no router.
lupis78

Postby lupis78 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:42 am

also i don't know if this helps, but when i go to view network computers and devices in vista i don't see roku on the list.
lupis78

Postby vmps » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:36 am

lupis78 wrote:No the firewall is turned off. I had issues with other things connecting to the modem such as my xbox...but almost all were resolved by changing the mac address of the devices. But it doesn't seem like roku has any advanced setting your can play with.

There is nothing in a normal configuration that would ever require changing a MAC; you need to be a lot more specific about how you have things configured.
vmps

Postby lupis78 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:43 am

vmps wrote:
lupis78 wrote:Can you ping the router? (On the computer, start a command prompt and type "ipconfig" followed by the enter key. look for a line that says "default gateway", it''ll probably be something like 192.168.0.1. Then run "ping 192.168.0.1" (substituting whatever value was in the default gateway line.)).

yes i can, and it says pinging 71.200.104.1 with 32 bytes of data

request timed out
request timed out
request timed out
request timed out

ping statistics for 71.200.104.1:
packets sent = 4,received = 0,lost = 4 <100 percent loss>
lupis78

Postby lupis78 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:07 am

vmps wrote:
lupis78 wrote:No the firewall is turned off. I had issues with other things connecting to the modem such as my xbox...but almost all were resolved by changing the mac address of the devices. But it doesn't seem like roku has any advanced setting your can play with.

There is nothing in a normal configuration that would ever require changing a MAC; you need to be a lot more specific about how you have things configured.

haha good question as i have pretty much no clue about things and really couldn't tell you how things are configured. I generally plug things in and hope they work and pretty much am lost if they don't What type of information do you need?
lupis78

Postby microlady » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:05 am

lupis78 wrote:
vmps wrote:
lupis78 wrote:Can you ping the router? (On the computer, start a command prompt and type "ipconfig" followed by the enter key. look for a line that says "default gateway", it''ll probably be something like 192.168.0.1. Then run "ping 192.168.0.1" (substituting whatever value was in the default gateway line.)).

yes i can, and it says pinging 71.200.104.1 with 32 bytes of data

request timed out
request timed out
request timed out
request timed out

ping statistics for 71.200.104.1:
packets sent = 4,received = 0,lost = 4 <100 percent loss>

When I get the Ping you are describing above, that means I have no connection to the Internet for any devices...PCs or my router. What I have to do is shut down my PC, unplug the router from its power, unplug the modem from its power (I think a member above said your modem is also your router so that is only one unplug), wait about 30 seconds, plug in the modem first, wait until all lights are green and your cable Internet light is solid green, then turn on a PC and see if you can get on the Internet. If you can, then if like me....I have to go to the TV and turn on the TV, put it on the video channel for Netflix, get the Netflix screen and press OK and then I see that the Roku light stops blinking and Netflix is connected. In my case, when the Roku box is not connected to the Internet, the light blinks constantly. When it is connected, that light is solid.

I use the PC cause it can tell me right away if the modem (and router) are talking to the Internet like they should. Hope this is making sense. I think you will get other responses here that may help better but maybe something here helps you.

With that Ping.....sounds like no device you have is accessing the Internet as you are not getting a response...that's what the timed out means....it means there is no answer coming from that IP address to your request. Until you get a response, your Roku box cannot work.
microlady

Postby russman167 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:55 pm

For the record a few searches through this forum confirmed that this is a pretty common problem. I bought two XD boxes on the same day. The first one I was able to set up on my home network in less than 10 minutes with no problem. The second one I attempted to setup on my Dad's home network, and I got the same problem you originally described. After trying all of the things I read in the forums (turning off firewall and checking the allow router ping on my Tenda router, and resetting the wifi channel) to no avail, I finally broke down and contacted tech support. By the way I am one of those guys that almost never call tech support, but I was under a time cruch. :)

The tech support guy was friendly and helpful, and after about 20 to 30 minutes with him I was up and running.

Incidentally he never asked me to turn off the firewall or to allow pinging on the router. And he didn't suggest changing the channel on the wifi either, although the guy I did the text chat with earlier did suggest it might help.

Basically he had me do a whole system shutdown (Modem, Router, and Roku) and had me restart them in the reverse order after 30 seconds. I didn't work the first time, so the second time he had me shut the Modem and Router down, then he had me do a 30 second hard reset on the Roku which involved pressing the recessed reset button on the bottom of the Roku for 30 seconds, after rebooting the Modem and Router.

When the Roku came back up it connected to the Wifi and the Network, and I finally had three green lights for the first time. The unit proceeded to start it's update, but failed at about 5%. The tech muttered something about the time zones being out of sync. so I changed the Time zone on my router to reflect C.S.T and then reset the router, and repeated the 30 second hard reset on the Roku again using the recessed reset button. When the unit came back up I got my three green lights and the update completed with no problem. The unit then rebooted, and when it came up it asked me to set the Time Zone for the Roku. Of course I chose C.S.T or GST -6 the same as it was on the router, and everything worked perfectly after that.

I know that this was a long post but like most of the tech savvy people here, that is exactly was I was looking for when I searched the forum, a pseudo step by step list of steps that ended in a successful connection. A few other notes, my router's wifi channel is set to Auto, and though I left the allow Ping on the Router check-box checked, and have the routers external firewall disabled (don't worry it is enabled on the individual computers) I plan to disable both of those one by one the next time I go over there to see if it needs to remain that way.

Good Luck.

Russ (The JudoGuy)
www.judogis.com
russman167

Postby lupis78 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:37 pm

russman167 wrote:For the record a few searches through this forum confirmed that this is a pretty common problem. I bought two XD boxes on the same day. The first one I was able to set up on my home network in less than 10 minutes with no problem. The second one I attempted to setup on my Dad's home network, and I got the same problem you originally described. After trying all of the things I read in the forums (turning off firewall and checking the allow router ping on my Tenda router, and resetting the wifi channel) to no avail, I finally broke down and contacted tech support. By the way I am one of those guys that almost never call tech support, but I was under a time cruch. :)

The tech support guy was friendly and helpful, and after about 20 to 30 minutes with him I was up and running.

Incidentally he never asked me to turn off the firewall or to allow pinging on the router. And he didn't suggest changing the channel on the wifi either, although the guy I did the text chat with earlier did suggest it might help.

Basically he had me do a whole system shutdown (Modem, Router, and Roku) and had me restart them in the reverse order after 30 seconds. I didn't work the first time, so the second time he had me shut the Modem and Router down, then he had me do a 30 second hard reset on the Roku which involved pressing the recessed reset button on the bottom of the Roku for 30 seconds, after rebooting the Modem and Router.

When the Roku came back up it connected to the Wifi and the Network, and I finally had three green lights for the first time. The unit proceeded to start it's update, but failed at about 5%. The tech muttered something about the time zones being out of sync. so I changed the Time zone on my router to reflect C.S.T and then reset the router, and repeated the 30 second hard reset on the Roku again using the recessed reset button. When the unit came back up I got my three green lights and the update completed with no problem. The unit then rebooted, and when it came up it asked me to set the Time Zone for the Roku. Of course I chose C.S.T or GST -6 the same as it was on the router, and everything worked perfectly after that.

I know that this was a long post but like most of the tech savvy people here, that is exactly was I was looking for when I searched the forum, a pseudo step by step list of steps that ended in a successful connection. A few other notes, my router's wifi channel is set to Auto, and though I left the allow Ping on the Router check-box checked, and have the routers external firewall disabled (don't worry it is enabled on the individual computers) I plan to disable both of those one by one the next time I go over there to see if it needs to remain that way.

Good Luck.

Russ (The JudoGuy)
http://www.judogis.com

hmmm i shall give that a try thank you :).
lupis78

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion