The Roku Letdown?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: The Roku Letdown?

Postby mkiker2089 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:11 pm

Just to add to what others have said

to the op- really you started out the worst possible way. By looking at free stuff you've seen the worst and probably had the least satisfaction of what the Roku can offer. With Netflix and Hulu I think you'll soon start ignoring the "free" channels. I don't know who said it originally but the old saying "nothing worth having is free" comes to mind. These shows have to be paid for and Hulu is how that is translating to the digital age. As for the negative reviews, well someone out there hates anything you can possibly think of. I use Hulu all the time and love. The ads are tolerable and sometimes informative and enjoyable and the price is kept low by them. Some people expect Hulu to perform miracles but realistically we are lucky the networks have allowed the ads to be as short as they are. Netflix is a little bit of a different bag. You start out seeing what they are losing and think you may want to cut it. Then you start finding more and more that they have that you like and month after month will put it off. Next thing you know you are watching Netflix all the time and cable none.

I think the biggest problem Netflix and Hulu have is perception. They need a way to show us what is relevant to each of us personally. Hulu gets flack because of the web only stuff. If they had a way to hide that from people not interested then it would go a long way towards making people like me (who refuse to watch TV at my desk and don't have a HTPC) happier. Netflix is ahead of them on that with it's recommendation system but even they have some issues.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
mkiker2089

Postby mommom » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:24 pm

I personally think that the best way to cut the cord is to go down to the least possible cable/dish package possible first and slowly make that switch if it is financially feasible .Sometimes that requires calling and telling them you want to cancel because you have to cut expenses.In many cases they will come up with a super cheap minimal package or even a few months free to try to keep you.That gives you time to find your balance of OTA/streaming/cable,etc
mommom

Postby montlyfool » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:40 am

If it was not for my kids, I would have cut the cable a long time ago. I only have the basic cable channels right now since I have gotten the Roku box. Hulu + and Netflix give me enough to watch. I am not addicted to any show, so it does not bother me to miss anything. There is plenty of other things to watch. Very seldom do I watch any network channels, but mostly on Roku and Netflix. I am getting a second Roku box as well next week for Father's day. I have had Roku since it came out and never looked back.

Always follow these forums and keep an eye what is new
montlyfool

Postby ShoeQueen » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:58 pm

Again, thank all of you for the valuable input. I don't consider myself a TV junkie, but there are certain programs I do really enjoy. With HuluPlus and Netflix installed I've come to appreciate the Roku a little more. I guess my dissatisfaction really rests with many of the TV Networks. Personally I don't see a the difference between allowing something to stream through NetFlix or HuluPlus, or making me watch it online. Both have commercials, so what's the big freakin' deal? Sorry to vent here, but after a week of having the Roku I still shake my fist at it and mutter "I just want to see the most recent Doctor Who! Is that so much to ask?!?"

As of this point, we are keeping the cable box until I figure out how to maximize our content, and yes (sigh) set up a computer as a media server. Yes, I can figure it out but it still annoys me that I have to. I foresee a number of evenings that we are either firing up the computer to watch Fringe, or streaming off a media server to catch The Walking Dead.

You know, it's amazing, about 20 years ago I did my thesis on the future of the digital age, and the current standards have yet to live up to it, lol. It just annoys me to no end that Networks can't seem to get on board. Bah! The current mess of the digital age should make William Gibson weep.

Again, thank you all for listening to my growing pains. Who knows, maybe the Networks will finally get their heads out of their respective behinds and instead of fighting the technology, embrace it....
We can only hope!
ShoeQueen

Postby webdog2010 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:57 pm

ShoeQueen wrote:Yes, I can figure it out but it still annoys me that I have to. I foresee a number of evenings that we are either firing up the computer to watch Fringe, or streaming off a media server to catch The Walking Dead.

FYI, there are many TV shows, including "The Walking Dead", available thru Amazon via their Roku channel. Being a cable cord cutter for over a year now, this is how I watched the first season. Available in SD or HD, looks great. Have also purchased a handful of movies thru Amazon. Could get expensive if you rely on it for a large number of shows, but is great for filling in the gaps when something is not available via Netflix or Hulu.
webdog2010

Postby floridamom » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:18 pm

KennyJ wrote:
jeffrok wrote:But I don't watch sports. I don't care for tv news. And most shows I miss, I'm fine with being a season behind on.

This sounds like us. We did our homework before we bought 2 Roku boxes. We gave up Directv, but have Netflix and Hulu Plus. We've found that there's more than enough to watch, and we're finally putting those digital converter boxes to use. We don't watch sports, but a lot of people who do have a hard time cutting the cable/satellite cord. Even our 13 year old son isn't complaining and is finding plenty to watch. No Roku letdown for us.
floridamom

Postby mommom » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:40 pm

ShoeQueen wrote:Again, thank all of you for the valuable input. I don't consider myself a TV junkie, but there are certain programs I do really enjoy. With HuluPlus and Netflix installed I've come to appreciate the Roku a little more. I guess my dissatisfaction really rests with many of the TV Networks. Personally I don't see a the difference between allowing something to stream through NetFlix or HuluPlus, or making me watch it online. Both have commercials, so what's the big freakin' deal? Sorry to vent here, but after a week of having the Roku I still shake my fist at it and mutter "I just want to see the most recent Doctor Who! Is that so much to ask?!?"

As of this point, we are keeping the cable box until I figure out how to maximize our content, and yes (sigh) set up a computer as a media server. Yes, I can figure it out but it still annoys me that I have to. I foresee a number of evenings that we are either firing up the computer to watch Fringe, or streaming off a media server to catch The Walking Dead.

You know, it's amazing, about 20 years ago I did my thesis on the future of the digital age, and the current standards have yet to live up to it, lol. It just annoys me to no end that Networks can't seem to get on board. Bah! The current mess of the digital age should make William Gibson weep.

Again, thank you all for listening to my growing pains. Who knows, maybe the Networks will finally get their heads out of their respective behinds and instead of fighting the technology, embrace it....
We can only hope!

With grandkids around so much our pc's are on most of the time anyway,but they are set to sleep after a certain amount of time with no use.Its important to remember that while 5 or 10 minutes of idle time is ok to go to sleep for a non tv connected tv,you will want to set your HTPC to stay on for at least the length of a movie. :)
mommom

Postby catastrophegirl » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:26 pm

ShoeQueen wrote:Sorry to vent here, but after a week of having the Roku I still shake my fist at it and mutter "I just want to see the most recent Doctor Who! Is that so much to ask?!?"

i'm with you there. i did the math and the $1.99 per episode for the most recent doctor who on amazon video on demand on the roku is worth it to me. it's unfortunate that only the older seasons of doctor who are available free from amazon VOD for prime members [which i am] but compared to the $86 a month my directv used to cost, i can handle a few bucks a month instead.
and the extras and clips are on the BBC youtube channel. which... i can still watch on my roku but if you don't have the youtube channel previously installed you'll have to go online for
N1000, roku1 XD/s, roku2 xs, roku3
wireless
speed range from ~18-20mbps
http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/
twitter: catastrophegirl
PM or tweet me if you want a channel added to my list, a correction or to update a developers' credit
catastrophegirl
** Valued Community Member **

Previous

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion